Hand tight filter crowd might want to check their filters for winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hand tight filter crowd might want to check their filters for winter.

Like alot of people, I hand tighten all my filters. Well on my wifes KIA Sportage, the Nippon oil filter I had installed started to leak. When I did the filter change 3 months ago, the weather was in the 80's. Just recently, we had a cold snap down to single digit temps. When I noticed the oil spot in the drive way after my wife left for work, I suspected the oil filter right away. When she got home, the filter and oil was warm enough for the gasket to make proper contact and not leak but at night, the single digit temps caused the gasket to contract enough for a slow steady drip. retighten of the filter showed another easy half turn to reseat.

Hootbro

I always jamb(sp?) mine on there pretty good by hand. At least one full turn after contact. I don't care if its hard to remove later. Never had a leak doing this.

Make sure you catch the Seinfeld episode when they are @ THE HAMPTONS and George suffers from" shrinkage".

I hand tighten and loosen with a strip of sandpaper for better grip.
Never had a problem.

I use a cap wrench and install tighter than by hand. No leaks ever, and with the wrench they come right off too!

I'm with Ugly3: I tighten them a quarter-turn past hand-tight with a cap wrench. In fact, Toyota recommends this for their OEM filters.

I hand tighten to less than a full turn. If you find it easier to get there with a wrench, fine. I have never had a filter leak, loosen, or have to fight to get it off. I do run short OCI's, 3 months since 1992, and before that 6 month. I have mostly used Fram, AC, Purolator, and ST going from the past to now. Would go back to AC if I could buy a PF 1177 or PF 2244G at a reasonable price somewhere.

They make wrenches for filters. Nowhere does it say to only use the wrench for taking it off. When you finish hand-tightening, use the wrench for another 1/4 turn. Won't hurt a thing & won't seize it either.

Aluminum is funny that way. It's lightweight, making it popular for auto manufacturers looking to make lightweight cars, but it introduces a lot of problems.... blown head gaskets, coolant laeks at hose clamps. Aluminum shrinks A LOT in cold weather.

I always mount oil filters according to direction. I don't hand-tighten, I use the wrench. There's not enough room under the hood nowadays to get a decent grip on the filter. Yeah, you can snake your hand under the hood and put your hand on the filter, but you can't turn it with any decent force. I don't want to cramp my hands trying to meet spec on the number of turns.

I've never had a leak from my oil filter gasket areas, regardless whether I hand-tighten or use the wrench. But sometimes, when I change my oil, I notice that my oil filter is kind of loose. Even so, the gasket area is oil-tight; no leaks. But these days, to be on the safe side, I check my oil filter in the Winter, and make sure it is good and tight.

To gain confidense in the oil filter seal, try turning it down until contact and then just a slght bit more. Startup and see if it leaks. It might surprise you at how well the filter seals. When you're done, tighten it all the way, a quarter turn, that is.

I always hand tighten then use the cap wrench for another 3/4 turn; like the Toyota OEM filters, Isuzu OEM filters state the same.

I've never had an OEM filter leak, unless someone else put it on.

Yeah, the coefficient of static friction is higher than the coefficient of dynamic friction. That means if however tight you tighten something, it will take more torque to start loosening it. Follow the #$%^&*#$%^*&#$%^ directions, oil the gasket and 2/3 to full turn after the gasket contacts the base. If it takes a wrench fine. If you can get it off without a wrench, fine. I hand tighten and use my Channellocks to loosen. As I have said, never any problems.

Who said Audi and I never agree on anything?

I agree, too. If I've hand-tightened the filter, I'll need a wrench to loosen it, or I'll throw out my shoulder. I use an indestructable rubber strap polycarbonate wrench.

The Filter Manufacturer's Council FAQ on installing filters indicates that a wrench should be used if needed. I believe it is 3/4 to 1 inch after the gasket meets the mating surface. I have never used a wrench for installation and have been more of a half turn or so guy, but in the future I will consider tightening down more.

One plus for the cold oil change is that the filter and block should be the same temperature during installation or it could be easy to get the incorrect tightening. I figure a room temp filter installed tightly on a hot block, would result in an overtight filter.

I've done a jillion oil changes.
With spin on filters, I make sure the surface is clean, oil the gasket, and tighten 3/4 of a turn past 'zero', when the gasket first touches the mating surface.
Never had a problem arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back