HAIL NO.... Not again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you continue to be surprised by this?

What next? "Water ... why is it wet?"

It's Colorado - You get hail in the summer. It happens. You get severe (often fatal) local flooding from the same storm type. It happens.

I live on the Atlantic Coast - we get hurricanes. It happens.

My sister lives in Michigan. It snows in the winter. It happens.

Nick1994 lives in AZ. It gets over 100F in the summer. It happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

It's Colorado - You get hail in the summer. It happens. You get severe (often fatal) local flooding from the same storm type. It happens.

Hailing peas happens, hailing baseballs not so much. I grew up in Pa, we'd get hailstones up to marble size but not baseballs. Maybe it's normal for Colorado people but not so for many.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
My car got it this time! Busted side marker light, busted windshield, dented like crazy. Called every windshield company in town - minimum 2 weeks. Guess I'll be driving like a dog with my head out the window.

We saw a guy driving his car without a windshield.

I accept hail but hail that could knock you unconscious and constantly damages property no. It is weird. Living in Michigan we are isolated from most of the extremes you listed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: pkunk
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Those hail balls are ridiculous. I'd have to have a garage or carport.

The real damage is when you're on the road at 75mph.

Ouch. Are these big stones few and far between in a normal hail storm or can there be lots of them? How many big hits did the Subie get?

Not few and far between. They fall in sheets more or less thousands at a time it's terrifying.

This is from last summer when I lived in Denver. Not my hand, a friends. These golf ball sized hail stones fell in sheets with the frequency of rain drops. It's absolutely scary when it happens. Google Colorado hail and watch some videos. It hails so fast it accumulates like snow often measured in feet not inches.

In your last thread, I mentioned when thousands of cars, and several dozen airplanes, were damaged by hail at DIA.

It happens... Storms are local, often intense, and the result of Colorado's unique meteorology...that often creates hail.

Park under a roof.

Or take a chance.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

I accept hail but hail that could knock you unconscious and constantly damages property no. It is weird. Living in Michigan we are isolated from most of the extremes you listed.

I can see how extreme hail would shock somebody who isn't used to it. ZZman, you would be surprised how the schools shut down for a week after 6 inches of snow in Virginia, just like Virginians would be surprised at the churches closing when temps hit the 90s in Grand Rapids.

Colorado is a place to have your crop/car/homeowner's insurance paid up for sure. The crazy thing is how unpredictable and localized the storms are--one farmer gets some rain, but the neighbor is hailed flat, done for the year. We know for days when a hurricane is coming, and have a fairly good idea where it will hit.

I was visiting family east of the Front Range last week. We had to pull over on I-70 one afternoon because of hard rain with tiny hail. A mile on, pea-sized hail was drifted 3-4 inches deep on the shoulder. Another night, a family member went home to find the windows knocked out of her house and the siding bashed up, the windshield out of one vehicle and the other looking like ten miles of bad road.

I've called every glass shop in town. The wait is months! They're still backlogged from hail storms months ago. The shop I like and have had the best service from in the past said they stopped taking appointments. She said she didn't know when they start taking appointments again, but probably October.
crazy2.gif

Luckily the crack in my windshield is on the drivers side and not too too bad. Guess I'll wait.

“....I can see how extreme hail would shock somebody who isn't used to it. ZZman, you would be surprised how the schools shut down for a week after 6 inches of snow in Virginia,....”

It only takes less than one inch in Seattle to close the schools.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I wonder how those aluminium Ford pickups fare in these events?

If the aluminum trucks are built like the aluminum Jaguars Ford developed the technique on, anything less than about tennis ball sized hail will bounce right off them, including the glass, and you would never be able to tell anything happened to the vehicle.

Amy small dents will pop back out on their own, after a few days in hot summer sun.

That is my experience at least.

Yup. Called around some more and tried calling back a few shops i called previously, and now all the voicemailboxes are full!

Sounds like a reason to take a road trip a couple of hours away with an appointment with a glass guy made in advance.

I've called every glass shop in town. The wait is months! They're still backlogged from hail storms months ago.

You could try reaching out to a shop in another city/area.

BC.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
My daughter's neighbors just replaced their hail damaged Subaru 1.5 months ago and this happened today to their brand new Subaru! This would drive me nuts!!

Tell your daughter's neighbor to clear out their garage, and start parking the car in there after it gets repaired.
All of our cars and bikes were completely untouched during the storm.
My neighbors, not so much.

BC.

WOW! I've seen some hail where I lived in Michigan, but not like that! We had 3 major storms here in NC last week and another this Tuesday, The 3rd. storm had some hail, up to 1/2", but not a lot.

Pretty common around here. You'd be surprised how good paintless dent repair is. As long as there are not creases, it can be massaged back into place. I'd bet that there are 1000's of temporary paintless dent repair "shops" (basically a canopy) opening up now in CO. A garage is worth a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back