Guns For Wives

I live on a few acres and plink & target practice from time to time. My elder brother got his wife a Bersa BP380CC. That is by far the easiest shooting pistol I've ever shot larger than a .22. It's a mid sized, mid weight .380 with a trigger pull under 4 pounds and a short reset.

Just a reminder, women generally have less strength in their hands. As we age, people of both sexes develop arthritis and lose hand strength. This makes racking the slide of a semiautomatic handgun difficult. Some semiautomatic handguns are easier to rack than others. With revolvers, that isn’t a problem. If you can find a shooting range that rents handguns, that would be a good place to start. She could try different models.
Read this article written by a female shooter.

Last edited:
Just a reminder, women generally have less strength in their hands. As we age, people of both sexes develop arthritis and lose hand strength. This makes racking the slide of a semiautomatic handgun difficult. Some semiautomatic handguns are easier to rack than others. With revolvers, that isn’t a problem. If you can find a shooting range that rents handguns, that would be a good place to start. She could try different models.
Read this article written by a female shooter.
I’m going to disagree friend. Revolvers typically have a long, stiff, double action trigger and snappy recoil. Making it harder to operate and shoot for women or the elderly in my experience. I’d say anyone with limitations is better off having a pre-loaded (by someone else if necessary) pistol on hand like a G19 or S&W 9. More rounds, less recoil, lighter trigger. I’d rather have one good, shootable pistol and no reload than a revolver and many reloads.

My wife is not a gun enthusiast , but is not opposed to guns. She has shot with me at the range. She does not mind shooting my walther p22.

She works from home, takes internet phone calls, and wears headphones as part of her job. She has a 1 hr break and usually spends that with our small dog outside.

Our home is a bit off the road, not very visible to others ( woods on all four sides), you could kick in our front or back door and no one would notice. There will be several town homes and a development build very close to us soon, so it will be noticeable that our house is there, but not out in the open, I.E. a target.

I'm trying to get her to entertain the idea of keeping a pistol on her side during the day, so that its always with her. She does keep one in her little home office, but its not with her as she moves about the house or goes outside.

We are going to the range this week, but i dont think she is going to like shooting much more that my walther p22.

I'm thinking about getting her a Walther PPQ 22. It has no safety and if she gets really used to it , maybe i could move her up to the Walther PPQ in 9mm.
That way the 9mm would be the same size and feel as the .22.

Thoughts ?
Give this thread a read. Same topic.

I find a double action revolver to be a good/safe option for a newbie or someone with little experience.
You have a very heavy double action pull or you have to pull the hammer back if your ready to shoot it.
Semi auto's you may or may not have a safety that you can forget to flip off in the heat of the moment. Without a safety it's a better chance of a accidental discharge.
Just my 2 cents
The firearm my wife has access to is a snub nose 38 loaded with Speer gold dot short barrel.

I find a double action revolver to be a good/safe option for a newbie or someone with little experience.
You have a very heavy double action pull or you have to pull the hammer back if your ready to shoot it.
Semi auto's you may or may not have a safety that you can forget to flip off in the heat of the moment. Without a safety it's a better chance of a accidental discharge.
Just my 2 cents
The firearm my wife has access to is a snub nose 38 loaded with Speer gold dot short barrel.
Got my wife and (grown) daughter S&W “hammerless” lite wheelers in .38 - the girl did not like .38 recoil and then gave it to my son …
Got her a Ruger LCP 380 with some Hornady CD rounds …

Got my wife and (grown) daughter S&W “hammerless” lite wheelers in .38 - the girl did not like .38 recoil and then gave it to my son …
Got her a Ruger LCP 380 with some Hornady CD rounds …
Ya the ultra lite 38 does have some recoil.
I have a aluminum frame ultra lite and the regular 38. The heavier frame makes the short barrel 38 easier to shoot if you are recoil shy

Just my 2 cents
Proper training and practice will eliminate your concerns. If a person isn't willing to put in meaningful practice sessions with their defensive firearm because they dont like shooting it then it's the wrong gun.

I recommend a dog. Pick something you think is scary. Would you get out of your car and walk up to your wife if this dog is there with her kind of dog. Maybe a pitbull or a German shepherd. If you buy a pistol I recommend a 38 special revolver, find a lightweight version of this pistol, easier to carry.

I agree with the poster about the dog. If she is not comfortable with a gun get a German Shepherd Dog to stay with her. I have had three and believe me no one was coming into my house unannounced.

PDP F series. Specifically designed for female hands.

M&P Shield EZ might be another good option.
Those EZ's rack like they aren't even there. 115gr rem green and white box "cheap" jhp's don't have as much thump (recoil) yet work as good or better than a lot of the more expensive rounds. I carried the 115gr rems for a loooong time in my LC9 just because they are easy shooting.

Back