Guess what critter is in my garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Does your squirrel walk with a limp after stepping all over your mousetraps?

Last night was the first time he encountered the traps after they were set.

That same squirrel has been in my yard for several years - it got stuck in a downspout about 5 years ago - I had to take the downspout off the house and saw it in half to get that stupid [censored] thing out - in the process it got all cut up, so I know which one it is by the wounds.

Wow...

One time in South Texas I had a LARGE black snake camp out in my garage. Aggressive suckers. I kept beating him with a broom handle until he finally wound up on top of my trucks driveshaft. A few shots of gasoline got rid of him tho. John--Las Vegas.

"A few shots of gasoline"

On the rocks?

Sorry I couldn't resist.
grin2.gif

Quote:
Opossums won't do much to you if you just leave them be.

Wife had the great idea of getting a balled tree for the holiday so we could plant it (weighed a ton). Anyway, a 'possum took up residence in/under it. It didn't seem to pay us much mind. I was holding some food to coax the beagle outside and the 'possum stopped for a second, looked at me, turned and kept on going. The beagle never saw her.

At work one time I walked out of one of our remote buildings. A 'possum was trotting along and took a while to figure out that I had just walked out of the door. It was like out of some cartoon. prance-prance-prance- ooooops.

The one in the yard was kinda pretty in the winter. It eventually left.

When I'd be driving at night ..in the warmer months. I'd occasionally have one trot in the road in front of me (along with deer and anything else that had a mind to). I'm unsure if it was the fatigue (that would often have fire hydrants appearing briefly like little "weebles") ..but the 'possum would appear to stop and give me a look that was not unlike this:

20100107avatar031.jpg

I have been plagued by a red squirrel this summer. The little devil was chewing tyhrough the screens and raiding the kitchen. I baited my Havahart trap with peanut butter and left the doors open but unlocked. I let it get used to the trap. Then one morning, I set the trap for real. I was gonna drown the sucker , but Marina intervened and the sentence was commuted to transportation. In all I caught 3 grays, a raccoon and a possum. I knew it was a coon because, it was chittering up a storm.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Opossum? I'll second Johnny's caution on the raccoon, you don't want your dog cornering it either.

You just need a tougher dog. Our brings the odd dumb or maybe brave? racoon out of the woods a few times a year. How its possible for the dog to even corner one in the woods I don't know but somehow Enzo gets a hold of them. No marks so far and I think only the smart racoons are left so its been while since the last one.

We had feral cats that used to kill full grown racoons in a grain elevator back in the seventies. Tough cats in a group, they used to sit in the rafters and stare down at us like we were food. I could hear their brains working, "if only that guy were a little smaller".....

I have dogs now.

Well, things have gotten more interesting. I come home to find this loud banshee sound coming out of my sump pump extension tube and the tube chewed to [censored] by my dog. Plus more carnage in my garage - stuff knocked around everywhere, extension cords chewed up.

The trap is set and the clock is ticking. Will report back with pics.

My guess is it's the same little [censored] ground squirrel I've now dealt with for the past 5 years.

It's going to take a lot for me not to kill the little devil.

Too bad you didn't live in the southern states, you could run it over with your car and make stew or so I hear anyways...
lol.gif

Wow, those must've been hungry cats...
Our dog crunches up goat vertebrae like pop corn so I don't think the raccoon suffers for very long, but with the cats, yeesh...

We've had issues with voles . Have trapped almost 20 for now . Could hear it chewing the underside of the shed while in it . Would stomp on floor to end it , but not long after it came back . Some were about 6 inches long .

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Wow, those must've been hungry cats...
Our dog crunches up goat vertebrae like pop corn so I don't think the raccoon suffers for very long, but with the cats, yeesh...

They just killed them, tore them up a bit and left them for me to clean up in the morning...what a mess. In 4 years working there, I'll bet I cleaned up at least 100 of them. If those cats didnt do such a good job with the mice and rats, they would have been "processed" with the dead racoons. They ate the rats and mice, but never the coons.

It's a baby ground squirrel - must be offspring of the older bigger one that got stuck in the downspout. I released him in the park behind my shop.
19.gif

Now I remember years ago (maybe 25) my brother telling me about a ferret getting into the ducting at a print shop he worked at.

It's a baby ground squirrel - must be offspring of the older bigger one that got stuck in the downspout. I released him in the park behind my shop.
19.gif

Motivated little sucker...

19.gif

Do you think its dad told him about the nice place it is used to find in its errands?

Nice gesture you did for it, even after all what it did, Congrats!

Drew you have outsmarted a squirrel its not easy as i know firsthand. We had squirrels building nest's in the rafter's (sp) in theater 9 two years ago!! They made a real mess and can you beleive it patron's dont appreciate squirrel droppings in there popcorn. One of our younger and lighter staff had to climb a ladder to get to the nest's because management didnt spring for an exterminator. Rodent's are a constant newsence in our multiplex!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back