Grumman F6F Hellcat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stearman...no fighters, not yet.

But P-factor is present in all prop airplanes, with the notable exception of twins with counter-rotating propellers. So, as an example, the Grumman E-2 (which I was qualified to fly) has quite a bit of P-factor. Both T56 turboprop engines rotate the same direction, making the left engine the critical one (Because, if it fails, the P-factor adds to the yaw from the thrust of the right engine, so more airspeed at full rudder is required to control the plane, and that defines VMCA...a right engine failure is easier because the P-factor counters some of the yaw).

There is an immediate torque roll when the engine accelerates, but that's not the same as P-factor.

It's not just torque that you're countering with that initial trim.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Stearman...no fighters, not yet.

I didn't think you had prop fighter time because you would have remember a warning about "forward stick to keep the airplane level and straight" better to keep any prized War Bird close to a 3 point attitude and let it fly off the runway...

AAF Manual 51-127 Takeoff

After you have pulled out and lined up on the runway, make sure that
the steerable tailwheel is locked- it must be locked with the stick
back for takeoff.

Then advance the throttle, gradually and smoothly, to 61" of manifold
and 3000 rpm. Don't hoist the tail up by pushing forward on the stick
until you have sufficient airspeed to give you effective rudder
control.

This is important to watch in the takeoff, since the P-51, like all
single-engine planes, has a tendency to turn left because of torque.
If you horse the tail off the ground too quickly with the elevators,
better be ready to use right rudder promptly.

Keep the airplane in a 3-point attitude until you have plenty of
airspeed. In a normal takeoff, the rudder trim tab is sufficient to
make the torque almost unnoticeable.

Last edited:
My very first post in this thread mentioned P-factor and the need to apply forward stick and right rudder when adding power in a prop airplane.

I explained what P-factor is.

It's not just engine torque that you're countering when adding power. Engine torque wouldn't require the forward stick, but P-factor does. And your explanation above matches my first post. The elements of AOA, relative wind, and blade angle result in neutral rudder trim at design cruise power setting.

But when adding power on takeoff, you need substantial right rudder, and forward stick, just as idle power at higher speeds requires substantial left rudder, and back stick.

I don't know why you're trying to find fault with me, personally, but I was trying to answer the OP's question. And nothing you've said is any different than what I've already posted.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I was trying to answer the OP's question.

I think we have all done a good job and stayed on topic in answering
the OP's question... in conclusion I hope everyone has a chance to
behold Leroy Grumman's F6F Hellcat up close and personal like we are
afforded at the annual Reno Air Races...

Breaking from the original question (I have learned a lot), how much could one of the Hellcats bet built for in today's dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back