Grass Bagger

Do grass baggers made for riding lawnmowers really work?

I mow with a walk behind mower that bags the clippings which I compost. I mow close to an acre. Takes about 1 hour several days. That's a lot of stopping and starting to empty the bag, or a lot of raking.

How good are those baggers made for riding mowers? Do they work if the grass gets 6" tall?

You need something better suited to your lot size and there is no need to bag it. Follow the 1/3 rule and don't let your grass get too tall before mowing it.

1/3 rule? I want to bag so I can compost. Grass clippings make great compost for the garden. My neighbor sits on his riding mower and has to go to the gym to keep the weight off. Mowing, bike riding and walking the dog keeps me at ideal weight.

1/3 rule? I want to bag so I can compost. Grass clippings make great compost for the garden. My neighbor sits on his riding mower and has to go to the gym to keep the weight off. Mowing, bike riding and walking the dog keeps me at ideal weight.
1/3 rule is don't cut more than 1/3 of the total length of the grass blades. I'm like you, don't want to sit and mow if I don't have to. Look into a Timemaster...all the benefits of walking to mow but will be a better sized machine for your property.

Yes, they work. If I were to try to bag 6" tall grass, I'd sharpen the blades, set the deck on the highest position, and be sure the grass is dry.

Looking for something with Kohler engine. Has Briggs and Stratton seriously improved their engines? One neighbor has 21 year old Craftsman rider w/Kohler V twin. Other neighbors have B&S Twins. They run about 3 years and become trouble.

Do grass baggers made for riding lawnmowers really work?

I mow with a walk behind mower that bags the clippings which I compost. I mow close to an acre. Takes about 1 hour several days. That's a lot of stopping and starting to empty the bag, or a lot of raking.

How good are those baggers made for riding mowers? Do they work if the grass gets 6" tall?
Get a gatorblade for your mower. My yard machines did better when I upgraded to the Arnold multi blade. The gatorblade mulches so fine that there is virtually no grass clipping left underneath or on the lawn.

Looking for something with Kohler engine. Has Briggs and Stratton seriously improved their engines? One neighbor has 21 year old Craftsman rider w/Kohler V twin. Other neighbors have B&S Twins. They run about 3 years and become trouble.
I have a 2007 cub cadet with the Kohler courage twin cylinder 23hp. 400 hours and runs perfect so far. The single cylinder courage engines were the bad ones.
My dad has a 2003 craftsman with the Kohler command v twin and it has 1200 hard hours on it. Smokes a bit on startup but otherwise runs good.

I already have a tractor but if I could get a good deal on a bagger for my cub cadet I would save a lot of time leaf blowing and raking. We have a ton of trees on our property.

I put a bagger on my JD rider. Best money I've spent. Sucks up leaves and pine needles just fine. Used to use a sweeper on a different mower in the past, no comparison to the bagger setup. Less maintenance and moving parts, sweepers wear out fast, bagger lasts years.
Riding around sucking up stuff beats trying blow away stuff. I had a fenced in backyard to keep the dog in, it kept the leaves in also so no blowing leaves into the woods with the fence. No tarping and hauling leaves or lifting them over the fence with the bagger, just drive to your dumping area.

Back