Graph of oil temp, ATF temp, and MAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilUzer
VNP,

Forgot to mention that for example coolant temp in one of my cars goes from 185F +/- (cruising) to almost 199°F when I stop. I hardly ever see 199F during warm-up or driving (slow or fast) until I completely stop and there is no airflow!

The coolant temp spike in this car happens about a minute or so after I stop and the car is idling. however this car has an electric fan.

Once you are able to capture your coolant temperature, you may observe the same thing ... or maybe not ... lol
It depends on the car and the cooling system (electrical fan vs. mechanical).
I don't see this level of spike (after I stop) with the other car that has a mechanical fan.

btw, none of my cars are turbo!

One more clarification:

After the car has stopped and with temp on its way to 199F, if I rev up the engine (vs. letting it Idle) the coolant temp slowly drops as there is more coolant flow even with the fan still off and with no air flow.

Yes I'd like to see what mine does in those same conditions. My Scangauge has a digital temp readout, so when I come to a stop, the coolant temp appears to slowly begin to rise from 92C / 198F (cruising) up to 103C / 217F (electric fan turns on). Once the fan is on it drops pretty quick down to 96C / 205F when the fan turns off. This cycle will repeat when sitting there idling or in slow traffic until I get moving decently again.

If the AC or my data logger computer has turned the fan on low, coolant will hold around 92C/198F even when stopped.

Due to tune problems that keeps the low speed fan on all the time with my Gen Coupe, I pulled the low speed fan relay and installed an adjustable temp switch that I use to turn on the high speed fan. I do not know if the high speed fan is used for engine cooling OE. I have let the car idle and get to 240F and no high speed fan comes on. The high speed fan is used for high AC pressure.

So when my car idles with the AC on the compressor cycles with the high pressure cutting it out and the high speed fan coming on. When pressure drops the fan turns off and the AC reengages. This keeps the coolant at the t-stat base rated temp or a couple degrees higher, 185F or so.

With the AC off the temp control switch kicks the high speed fan on at around 210F but it has to idle for quite a while, 5-10 minutes, for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back