Grand Cherokee - OIL selection recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edi

Gentlemen...
I have have just acquired a Jeep Grand Overland 2014 model with 3.6L petrol engine. Only 25,000 klms.

Engine Oil?

thx

ed

What does your Australian owners manual say?

A US model wants 5w20 and they can reach nearly 10,000 miles (16,000 km's) on conventional oil according to the oil life monitor. Personally, I'd step it up to synthetic at that point though.

IIRC your fill cap will say 5W20 and the owners manual will say 5W20 or 5W30 meeting MS6395 spec, unless vehicles sold in OZ are different. Chrysler uses Pennzoil for the factory fill.

yep my vehicle is in OZ.... still under warranty. It bothers me what they us.... Dealers use Castrol Edge....well that's what they say... I ve always used Nulon products all through my WJ... at this point not problem and shes go 199,000 on the clock. My service interval as always been 7,000 to 8,000 k including filter each time...

ed

Originally Posted By: Edi
yep my vehicle is in OZ.... still under warranty. It bothers me what they us.... Dealers use Castrol Edge....well that's what they say... I ve always used Nulon products all through my WJ... at this point not problem and shes go 199,000 on the clock. My service interval as always been 7,000 to 8,000 k including filter each time...

ed

How do you like the engine, and the GC itself?

i pick it up friday....have a WJ currently and before that a Grand Wagoneer 89.... Jeep tragic...I m afraid... over here its a toss up between the diesel and petrol....each has its advantages...

havent got it yet.....I have researched all the Oil sites....but the experts are on here....so that's why i asked.....

Likely the reccomendation will be a thicker grade than US models and most people here are yanks, if it specs 5w20 for the US the spec will likely be 5w30 or 5w40 in Oz
I'd say Castrol Edge 5w30 or 5w40 would be a good choice

Hi Mate,

I was speaking to fj610, another Australian Jeep owner and he is using Valvoline SynPower DX1 5W-30, it is a full synthetic oil that is API SN and GF-5 and Dexos1 and MS-6395 spec.

This is one of the few Chrysler MS-6395 oils in Australia.
It's what I would use if it still under warranty.

Last edited:
5w20 is almost impossible to get in Australia at retail level. Shell may have one as they are pushing in the Chrysler corner. Finding a shop that stocks it is another matter. I believe 5w30 is an option in Australia and most will offer one. Mobil Super 5w30 if you can find it.

I've got the same motor in my grand caravan. Using Pennzoil platinum 5W-20. I used 5W-30 on the previous fill and it was fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back