Got a 2012 Subaru Legacy Premium CVT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I got a new car yesterday. A 2012 Subaru Legacy Premium w/ CVT. I leased it. As much as I enjoyed my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD, at 71Kmi the thing was killing me with repairs, had yet another 1, possibly 2 wheel bearings failing and had a full T-belt replacement looming in the not so distant future, etc. All this on top of owing another ~$8500 on it (35 pymts). I bought the Santa Fe used from a dealer a little over 2yrs ago (it was at 39Kmi) and I was actually the 3rd owner of it. It started life as a rental. It was a great price which is why I bought it back then.

I had been shopping around for a few months, wanted something AWD with as decent fuel economy as possible and yet be affordable. Soob seemed to foot the bill.

Used prices are totally insane. Fairly beat looking 2008-2009 Imprezas are going for $17-19K and used Foresters or Legacys were out of the question due to cost. Pretty much anything used is crazy over-priced and they're getting the high prices for them!

The MSRP on the new Soob was $23764. The most they'd move off of sticker was $674, so they based the lease on $23100. With about $3K down in trade equity, my lease pymt is $258/mo for 36mo, 15K miles/year. They buyout/residual is 61% of MSRP. I was hoping for 55% like the 2011's, but no go on that. It was quite the ordeal bargaining for my trade allowance, new vehicle cost, etc. A root canal would have been more pleasant.

I'm real excited since this is one of the nicer cars I've owned!

As far as CVTs go, the only other ones I've driven were in Nissans. They're different, but it felt awesome in the Legacy. For my 80 mile highway commute it should be great. From what I've read, owners are regularly getting 32mpg tank/tank on the hyway with the 2010+ Legacy CVTs.

As far as I know all Soobie ATs are Jatco units built to Soob's north/south engine layout specs. Jatco CVTs have done well as far as I know. These particular CVT's use a chain for a belt as opposed to the 'metal belt' like other units.

I pick the new ride up in a few days!

Joel

Last edited:
Nice, nice! Those outbacks are excellent cars, especially for the amount of room they provide. TBH I was talking to mom the other day about cars, and she said that when she eventually buys a new car again (a long way down the road) she'd likely consider a subaru, but never honda or toyota.

I was looking at the outback the other day while killing time, and I was impressed. the seats were very comfortable (leather) they were nice and soft, and cushy. The amount of "boot" room was immense. I just wish they came with standard automatics, instead of those CVT jobbies.

I hear you. Having a CVT is new territory for me. It looks like Subaru is totally going that way for their AT equipped line-up.

The dealership pulled a new 2012 Impreza hatchback into the showroom while I was there yesterday. It was their first one. Had "36mpg" stickers down the sides. These are CVTs now too.

I'm insane with my getting a different vehicle every 2-3yrs, I know it's not the most financially sound thing to do. It's more of a hobby (sickness?) of mine. I never do substantial out of pocket money, nor do I go over ~$260/mo. It's just constant payments.

Joel

JTK - Have fun with that. Owned over 7 subarus! And those subies like thicker oil. On the second or third oil change I use 2 qts 10w40 with remaining Formula Shell 5w30. NO need for Synthetic - they are easy on the oil when outfitted with the EJ253 engine. Is that what is installed in your new outback? A SOHC 2.5L?

Thanks ARCO!

Yes it's the 2.5i, 170hp, 170ft/lbs torque. I'm curious to how painful it will be to change oil on. I'm assuming 2012's still use a spin-on filter and spec 5w30?

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Thanks ARCO!

Yes it's the 2.5i, 170hp, 170ft/lbs torque. I'm curious to how painful it will be to change oil on. I'm assuming 2012's still use a spin-on filter and spec 5w30?

Joel

If it's the same layout as our Outback, it's no more difficult to change than any other car (except the ones with topside cartridge filters). It was actually a welcome change for me - with the additional ground clearance, I didn't have to use ramps!

Specs show this 2.5 as SOHC.

The "Premium" thing sounds a bit fancier than what it is. It's one notch above the base version. They could have located me a base or more basic version and I would have saved maybe $10-15/month.

Joel

Thanks ARCO!

Joel
Forget the spec and put the heavier oil "blend" in. Believe me you wont regret it. The Filter is a bit hard to get to on the PZEV engine - its surrounded by heat shielded headers and cats. You need a cup wrench with and extension for the filter. Just lososen it a little and let it drain - dont spin it off or youll have oil all over the exhaust and O2 sensor. I would stick with the OEM Subaru filter to prevent leaks.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Wow! A Legacy Premium only has 170hp???
Only?! That is literally the power of 170 horses. The car has plenty of power which you will rarely use all of it. By comparison my Mustang GT H.O. V8 had 175Hp and the engine was twice as big. We also get 30mpg AVERAGE with out Forster stick. The thing runs like a porsche when pushed. I guess the slushbox will soak up a lot of the power and gas mileage though
frown.gif

I took delivery of my new 2012 Legacy Premium w/ CVT yesterday. All I can say is AWESOME!

I love the dark red exterior and black interior. I can't find a flaw with either which is a treat for once. That's the first time I've had the combo.

The powertrain is turbine smooth. Regardless of if you feather the go pedal or MASH it, the 2.5L / CVT combo seems to find just the right spot. It doesn't dog, surge or hunt all over the place.

I've driven other CVTs, from Saturns's nightmare (with the Vue) from years back, to Nissans. They don't seem to behave as well. I love the Legcay's.

No issues so far aside from my cell phone that won't sync up with the bluetooth.

My car was setup with all-weather floor mats. I assumed that's all you got. I didn't discover until I got to work that night that there's a full set of carpeted mats in the trunk, along with the original rear-view mirror laying there??! Apparently the auto dimming mirror is distributor installed and they just toss the original loose in the trunk? The splash guards are real nice and are a perfect fit. The black rubber all-weather mats are real heavy-duty.

The only options to my 2012 w/ premium package were:

Auto dimming mirror/compass
All-weather mats
Splash guards

I like a lot of the features it's got, such as a tiny projector LED up by the map lights, that shines down on the center console. You don't notice it until you look down at the console area. It's also got lights under the driver and passenger doors that lights up the ground at night for you. Everything is very well laid-out and feels solid. It's just a matter of getting used to it. Real nice 8-speaker sound w/ USB, pin inputs and power in the armrest bin. Stuff I'll probably never use. I do miss the ride height of my Hyundai Santa Fe & it's various storage bins, but I'm not going to miss the ~20mpg and the fact it was breaking the bank with repairs. 90% of the [censored] I kept stored in it I never used anyway! It's good to get out of the habit.

Joel

Last edited:

pin inputs
???

Looks like a headphone output, but used as an input for an MP3 player, etc.

pin inputs
???

I have never heard that being refered to as a pin input. Must be a Subaru thing. I call it an aux input
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude

pin inputs
???

I have never heard that being refered to as a pin input. Must be a Subaru thing. I call it an aux input
smile.gif

Geez, keep your shirts on fellas. I couldn't think of what it was called at the time. Joel thing.. not a Subaru thing!
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back