Goodbye Ford Fusion

No longer available in North America.

08B1BD4D-F2FC-41A1-B864-2EBCEF0DE102.png

I think it's a mistake to do away with the Fusion entirely but I have to assume it's not a high profit margin car. I think if they continued producing the same Fusion in base model trim only for the next 5 years(or however long it takes for it to no longer meet emissions or safety standards) they could still sell a decent amount to rental companies and customers that just have a preference to sedans over cuvs. Sales do not always equal profits though and that could easily be the deciding factor in this vehicles demise.

I considered the Fusion Sport at one point. It seemed like a reasonably well put together car. It wasn't sporty enough for me, but it would certainly make for a good commuter car.

Like them and have plans on buying a used one for my next car. This is a pretty high selling model for them. I guess they're trying to make more money selling one Bronco Sport for every four Fusions.

We had a Fusion Hybrid rental in LA a couple of years ago. Not a bad car. Did four or five days of driving around the LA area on one tank of fuel.

If I were looking for a used car, I would be interested in one of these.

Ford still builds the Mondeo for Europe and that is essentially what the Fusion was/is here. It's not like they couldn't get something up and running if they need to move to cars in the North American market.

This is going to be a bad decision in the long run.

This is going to be a bad decision in the long run.

I agree. They’re not far enough along on efficient large vehicles, and $70k pickups and lifestyle vehicles will only sell so long when the next economic cycle hits. One would think they would keep at least one do-all kind of car, like the fusion around. Not too huge, not tiny, offer a low end 4cyl, a fancy eco boost, and continue with hybrid/phew/ev penetration on the platform as well. It’s one thing to ditch what I’d perceive as almost overlapping, and not that useful of vehicles, like the focus sedan and fiesta. But the focus hatch and/or the fusion (and more likely the later) would seem to be a smart and viable candidate for continued sales.

The sad reality in the US is that if it doesn't sit high off the ground and/or does not look like an SUV, it just doesn't sell anymore. Personally, I don't understand it, but I seem to be in minority. First it was "America hates wagons," and now it's "America hates sedans." Oh well...

I'm not really sure why Ford needs the Edge (between the Escape and the Explorer). I would rather they drop the Edge and keep the Fusion. Cars are dying, but they could have kept 1 midsize sedan around.

I suspect part of it is cars and trucks have (or had) different fuel economy standards to meet.

In 2019, sales of Ford Cars was down by about 29% from 457k in 2018 to 325k in 2019. Even the Mustang was down compared to 2018

For the same year, trucks were up by 9% from 1.139 million to 1.243 million

In terms of units, Ford was down, but the overall drop was only 3.5% Most of lost units in cars was made up for by increased sales in trucks.

And as I've said before, they still build cars in other markets. Even the graphic shows the Fusion is offered in Europe as the Mondeo. Therefore, if market conditions change, the Mondeo, can be produced to meet US requirements and named Fusion or whatever.

It's not like the knowledge about how to build cars disappears when cars are dropped in ONE market.

This is probably a smart move with respect to business and sales.

I agree. They’re not far enough along on efficient large vehicles, and $70k pickups and lifestyle vehicles will only sell so long when the next economic cycle hits. One would think they would keep at least one do-all kind of car, like the fusion around. Not too huge, not tiny, offer a low end 4cyl, a fancy eco boost, and continue with hybrid/phew/ev penetration on the platform as well. It’s one thing to ditch what I’d perceive as almost overlapping, and not that useful of vehicles, like the focus sedan and fiesta. But the focus hatch and/or the fusion (and more likely the later) would seem to be a smart and viable candidate for continued sales.

The demise of the sedan in America is kind of depressing. Most people want to sit higher so that they can see better but if the vehicles are all tall then nothing is really gained.
I am guilty as well but at least I have the excuse of a long and steep New England driveway.
1596746526310.jpg

Raising the average car's frame, employing larger diameter tires and frequently "chunkifying" the rear end doesn't seem like the end of the world to me.
I feel disharmonies or inefficiencies in power plant technology are a deeper concern.

Sedans handle much better than SUVs, due to the lower center of gravity. I like driving cars much better and I don't see the need for SUVs to go the supermarket and soccer practice. A nice AWD sedan is all you need for most weather conditions. I don't think many suburbanites take their SUVs offroad.

Also, the Fusion is a great driving sedan. I drove my friends 2011 for the weekend and loved it!

Last edited:
Back