Goodbye Ford Fusion

Should Ford stop making the Expedition, Edge, Flex, and Mustang too then ? 'cause they sell more Fusions than those models.

Depends on the profit margins. I trust that Ford knows what's best for them to maximize their profits or minimize their losses.

We knew it was coming but it is still a shame. I think they were great cars for the money especially on the used market.

Should Ford stop making the Expedition, Edge, Flex, and Mustang too then ? 'cause they sell more Fusions than those models.
They sold it to fleets like rental car companies and commercial. Not a profitable place to be, just keeping the lines going....

All, Some may be old enough to remember that we "have seen this movie before".

The "independent makers" Kaiser Fraiser, Hudson, etc either went out of business or had to merge to compete in the new economy of the "Big 3".

Before the independents succumbed, it was the "Boutique manufacturers".....Pierce Arrow, Dusenberg, Cord, Stanley, Maxwell etc., that went by the wayside.

Now the drive (pun intended) is the move toward electricfication, and self driving platforms where most of the existing manufacturers may not make the appropriate investments in time to compete in the longer term market, or they have too much "baggage" that will not allow them to make the economic transition.

Personally I hate to see this transition. I like everything about the current auto economy, including the style and engineering differences, and the pride of maintaining one's own vehicle assets. But I think these days are clearly numbered.

All, Some may be old enough to remember that we "have seen this movie before".

The "independent makers" Kaiser Fraiser, Hudson, etc either went out of business or had to merge to compete in the new economy of the "Big 3".

Before the independents succumbed, it was the "Boutique manufacturers".....Pierce Arrow, Dusenberg, Cord, Stanley, Maxwell etc., that went by the wayside.

Now the drive (pun intended) is the move toward electricfication, and self driving platforms where most of the existing manufacturers may not make the appropriate investments in time to compete in the longer term market, or they have too much "baggage" that will not allow them to make the economic transition.

Personally I hate to see this transition. I like everything about the current auto economy, including the style and engineering differences, and the pride of maintaining one's own vehicle assets. But I think these days are clearly numbered.

Yes, I can't wait for electrification. Every time I get stuck behind a truck belching black fumes and my Asthma begins to act up, I feel it can't happen fast enough. Or alternatively, a Crown Vic with 500k miles on it burning more oil than gas haha. Also, electric cars have fewer moving parts and no emissions garbage to deal with, so they will be cheaper to own and operate. I think on Tesla's all you have to do is change the coolant every 150k miles. Yes, the battery is expensive to replace when it goes bad, but so are engines and transmissions. And by the time this is mainstream, battery technology should be much cheaper. Once electric cars can go 300 miles on a 15 minute charge I will be very happy.

Ford is sneaking in the electric motor options. The 2020 Ford Escape has four engines to choose from. Two four cylinder Turbos, one four cylinder Atkinson cycle Hybrid and one plug in with a Atkinson cycle four banger. The next step will be an all electric.

It's more than just the numbers. What's the trend? Are sales rising or falling for each model you list? Same question with respect to profit margins? How do they compare for each of the models you list and relative to the Fusion?

Cars are plummeting as a share of sales. Many who once bought the Fusion will now buy an Escape or similar.

Ford will (and should) invest in growing areas where they have a relative advantage.

Besides, it's not like they don't build cars elsewhere in the world. Should things change, the Mondeo would once again be trimmed for North American and put on sale again as the Fusion or some other name.

Back