Goodbye Ford Fusion

Wagon? Wonder what platform this will be built on? The same one as the Explorer? Or Edge?
i wouldn't put too much faith in that replacement claim... when they ended the Focus for NA, they said we would get the "Focus Active", IE a Raised Focus wagon with chunky black cladding... only to change their mind and cancel that model for NA within 2 months....

wonder how well the Mondeo Estate /Fusion wagon would have done over here if Ford had given it a chance...

F150/Super Duty, Mustang, and Bronco ? … they had a big seller in Explorer … probably messed that up …

F150/Super Duty, Mustang, and Bronco ? … they had a big seller in Explorer … probably messed that up …

The (new) Explorer has been/and continues to be a quality disaster.

BTW-I expect the Koreans (Hyundai/Kia) with Honda will be the big one's left selling sedans. Toyota will not pull the plug on the Camry-they have literally billions in reserve and can float products as long as they desire.

The demise of the sedan in America is kind of depressing. Most people want to sit higher so that they can see better but if the vehicles are all tall then nothing is really gained.
I am guilty as well but at least I have the excuse of a long and steep New England driveway.
View attachment 26455
Steep? You should see some of the driveways around here. Some of them approach a decent roofing pitch.

If I could only have one it would have to be a truck, but I do like having a small/midsize sedan as a second. In the end it costs me more, however, than just the truck. My v6 sedan beats the truck‘s mpg by about 1-2 mpg, that’s it. Granted, my truck is pretty barebones, no lift, stock tires, etc., but It’s been far easier to live with than I thought. That said, it’s nice to just pop in the little car and go, windows down, arm on the sill, just go. there are many days where I simply don’t need all that steel around me. But again, if I could have only one, it’d be the truck. The sedan simply can’t do things the truck does.

m

I am getting old so I am not their demographic but I think they are making a big mistake for the long haul. People develop habits in their younger years that tend to stay with them. If Ford becomes a truck only company and fuel prices rise like those in the EU, as people move back to sedans they just wont think of Ford. They will be ingrained in peoples mind as a truck company. I have a pickup that gets 17 mpg on a good day and a Ford Fiesta that gets 40 on a bad day. Which one do I drive 30 miles to the grocery store or to visit the kids or a quick run to the hardware store. the truck only moves if I have a job for it, thats why its 17 yrs old with 62000 miles. I was hoping to replace the Fiesta in a year or 2 with the Focus but now I will move to an Asian car for the first time in 67 years.

Well, so much for having something affordable for people to drive. Not everyone wants something 40k +....

If I could only have one it would have to be a truck, but I do like having a small/midsize sedan as a second. In the end it costs me more, however, than just the truck. My v6 sedan beats the truck‘s mpg by about 1-2 mpg, that’s it. Granted, my truck is pretty barebones, no lift, stock tires, etc., but It’s been far easier to live with than I thought. That said, it’s nice to just pop in the little car and go, windows down, arm on the sill, just go. there are many days where I simply don’t need all that steel around me. But again, if I could have only one, it’d be the truck. The sedan simply can’t do things the truck does.

m
but many sedans CAN do most everything most people use their trucks for....

I built a 6'x6' shelving unit(shelves every 8 ") for my DVD/Bluray/etc "collection", hauled all the lumber home INSIDE my Sable. with the backseat and front passenger seat both folded down, I could have Fit 8' boards with nothing sticking out a window.

many years ago, I helped my buddy's mom get a "portable" basketball hoop set up. at the store, we fit it (boxed up) in the back of her First Gen Focus Sedan..again back seat folded down. Her youngest...maybe kindergarden aged at the time (now 25? Artillery sergeant in the Army), riding in the back, on the box, for the whole 20 mi drive home...

but many sedans CAN do most everything most people use their trucks for....

I built a 6'x6' shelving unit(shelves every 8 ") for my DVD/Bluray/etc "collection", hauled all the lumber home INSIDE my Sable. with the backseat and front passenger seat both folded down, I could have Fit 8' boards with nothing sticking out a window.

many years ago, I helped my buddy's mom get a "portable" basketball hoop set up. at the store, we fit it (boxed up) in the back of her First Gen Focus Sedan..again back seat folded down. Her youngest...maybe kindergarden aged at the time (now 25? Artillery sergeant in the Army), riding in the back, on the box, for the whole 20 mi drive home...
Yes, sedans “can” do most things a truck can do, but it’s easier to do those things with a truck. I don’t have to worry about overloading my truck with mulch or bags of water softener salt like I did with my 300 or wondering “will this fit in the car somehow?” Drop the tailgate, roll up the tonneau cover if needed, and just slide it in.

Yes, sedans “can” do most things a truck can do, but it’s easier to do those things with a truck. I don’t have to worry about overloading my truck with mulch or bags of water softener salt like I did with my 300 or wondering “will this fit in the car somehow?” Drop the tailgate, roll up the tonneau cover if needed, and just slide it in.

Yes, you are right, I just wish the trucks handled better, but that high center of gravity prevents that. Can't fight the laws of physics. When will we see the NEW Chevy El Camino? haha

Yep. This summer I've been trying to use my kayaks more. Drop the tailgate and shove in. If I had a minivan I guess I could use a bit of rope to hold the tailgate halfway down? or hoist the kayaks onto the roof? or just pull out the trailer I guess.

Always fun bringing home 2x4's in the car, boards spanning from the windshield to the trunk. Does make for a new armrest I guess.

i simply don’t get why most folks buy trucks. my dear grampa was a ford man and a union carpenter. he hauled himself, a friend and their tools to worksites all over wmass in his one family vehicle, a ford sedan, summer and winter (with snow tires). the price of a new, tarted up truck or suv now seems to match the annual salary of most buyers, i.e. a poor financial decision. i wonder how many of these buyers have fully funded their 401k and ira each and every year?

Profit....that is the bottom line. New Bronco should make Ford lots $$$$$$. Dollars they can use to start investing to transition to electric and more hybrids. Without profit, they may be looking for a merger partner in the future if they expect to survive.

Back