Good fridge brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
our expensive Maytag top of the range French door fridge is falling apart for the second time in two and a half years. If they don't take any better care for us this time we'll need to start looking for one to buy. Any brands better than any other others? -- or at least better than Whirlpool/Maytag.

Bought new appliances when I moved into my house 14 years ago. So far, I've had to replace the Whirlpool washing machine and built in GE microwave. Had to repair the Maytag fridge once with a new defroster heater about 8 years ago.

I'd buy whatever is on sale at Home Depot that my wife liked.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Do not, under any circumstances, buy an Electrolux. Mine has been awful.

I wonder where that unit was made, any idea?

In this day and time with old school brands being bought out by huge corporations,I often wonder if every brand comes from the same overseas factory with different brand name plaques attached to them.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
they are all engineered to break at the 9 year mark it seems.. If there are any appliances that are better let me know.

The fridge I bought in 1997 when we moved into Irvine house in '97 lasted until 2007-2008, it was a little noise and the door seal didn't work very well, I sold it on Craigslist for $200. I bought the replacement and it is working well since. I think a good fridge can lasted more than 10 years if you take good care of it.

Another vote for Samsung. After problems with GE and Westinghouse I bought a Samsung side by side with slide out lower freezer about 4 years ago and have had no problems. Come to think of it I've never had a problem with anything made by Samsung (TV's, Hard Drives, laptops, monitors).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
GE seems to have a good rep. Anyone familiar with Fisher & Paykel?

My uncle has a dishwasher and fridge from them, he hasn't reported any problems and they are both 12 years old now still in good condition no service calls.

Edit...

I just was looking around the net and found that the company was acquired by Haier Group in China during 2012. Haier doesn't have a good reputation for appliances so I would avoid Fisher & Paykel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Do not, under any circumstances, buy an Electrolux. Mine has been awful.

x2

We were able to lemon law ours. I like the new Samsung replacement so far

Funny I was also surfing around the net and I had no idea there were so many brands of
appliances around the world. Never heard of Neff UK, De Dietrich France, ect.

My basic Maytag runs great- No service in 17 years.
I just got a new Hvac system and they say the stuff has only a 10-12 year life expectancy no matter
how much you spend. I went the middle of the road.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Anyone familiar with Fisher & Paykel?

Very old New Zealand brand, we all grew up with F & P fridges, washing machines and dryers... we have a F & P washing machine. Just a name now, I don't think they even have a factory left in NZ anymore.

We have had a Whirlpool for several years now and it has been very good. Tempting fate maybe by saying that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back