Going from M1 to a HM oil. Is it a downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying this is what I'm doing, but I've heard some people say there number one choice is M1, and then the next choice is Maxlife if their engine developes a leak. Not all engines develope leaks while using syn, but some do. And I wondered if it is considered a "downgrade" in oil to switch from a M1 (or any synthetic for that matter) to a HM oil? I've been told you should only upgrade your oils, and this is why I ask the question. My van is running M1 right now, but if by chance it developes a leak, I would think the best option next to fixing it, would be using Maxlife or Castrol HM.

Quote:

And I wondered if it is considered a "downgrade" in oil to switch from a M1 (or any synthetic for that matter) to a HM oil?

In your mind it would be a downgrade yes because HM oils are not energy conserving; in my mind however, it's an upgrade.
grin.gif

You can also consider M1 HM - which gets you HM oil and synthetic. There's nothing wrong with anything else that's been recommended here so far either.

Regular M1 already has (and always has had) the ester component as a seal conditioner. M1HM may have an extra slug of it. There is no need to switch from M1 to M1HM or to a conv HM oil to get the seal conditoner benefit.

M1HM is targeted to conv HM users who want the benefits of M1 to go along with the seal conditioner. A bit of HM marketing focus, yes, but most people don't know M1 already has the HM component - and M1 isn't about to suddenly change their brand message to accommodate the HM user.

Also, Mobil Clean HM is indeed an energy conserving conv HM oil - the only one that I've seen thus far.

some people think regular mobil1 is missing a big thing that I think mobil1 hm 10w30 has in it, Gp IV basestock. After talking to the mobil 800 number and reading the spec's I think the hm 10w30 is better oil. IMHO
patriot.gif

well since you have only run Mobil 1 one time, in retrospect, it's not a downgrade at all

I don't personally think it's a downgrade. My Jeep was run with M1 by the previous owner since new. Now (55k miles) I'm going to run Maxlife because I personally feel that will do a better job at a cheaper price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back