GM Ecotec 2.2 non-VVT durability question

bullwinkle

How tough are these engines? I'm supposed to look at an older high mileage ('04) Saturn Vue, 2.2L 5 speed manual, FWD baby SUV. It allegedly has a new clutch (one of their Achilles heels), at least one newer halfshaft, and some other new parts. I know how to identify if the primary timing chain tensioner has been replaced, and I know about the potential front & rear subframe rust issues, and I plan on likely doing WP, thermostat, both chains, tensioners, guides, guide bolt (which means VC gasket, likely coil pack boots, & plugs). What other issues have people seen with these? Seems like they have an ability to go pretty far mileage wise?

I had an 06 Malibu with the 2.2. Took it to 241,000 miles before the car was totaled. Some of these engines have a timing chain problems and some don't. Mine did not but I changed the chain tensioner to the updated part because it rattled for 2 seconds on startup. the new tensioner cures this problem. Also, the water pump started to leak at 220,000 miles which means the timing chain cover must come off. The timing chain, balancer chain and all guides looked good at 220,000 miles so I left them alone. The version of 2.2 you have uses the timing chain and camshaft to drive a hydraulic power steering pump where as my car had electric power steering. This could be harder on the chain and guides.

Doing the chains, guides, water pump and tensioner would take me all day but I am slow when working on cars.
If I saw no signs these parts needed replacement, I wouldn't touch them.
In my experience the engines I have seen that needed timing chains were neglected and were dirty inside. Look down the oil fill hole and see if the engine is clean.

If the baffle itself is coated in grime, you know it's been neglected. If clean [I think they are painted black] you are in luck. Below the fill cap on my 2.2 the baffle had two slots cut in it that you could look through a see a little portion of the cylinder head. Think the slots help when filling the engine with oil. You can see them in the upper right of this picture.

Attachments

• SDC11323.JPG
    SDC11323.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 22
How tough are these engines? I'm supposed to look at an older high mileage ('04) Saturn Vue, 2.2L 5 speed manual, FWD baby SUV. It allegedly has a new clutch (one of their Achilles heels), at least one newer halfshaft, and some other new parts. I know how to identify if the primary timing chain tensioner has been replaced, and I know about the potential front & rear subframe rust issues, and I plan on likely doing WP, thermostat, both chains, tensioners, guides, guide bolt (which means VC gasket, likely coil pack boots, & plugs). What other issues have people seen with these? Seems like they have an ability to go pretty far mileage wise?
If it's anywhere near 150k replace the ignition coils. One bad one on my 2002 Saturn L200 2.2L Ecotec blew up the catalytic converter but I loved that little 4 cylinder engine. Anything used can be beat on & not last properly but if you find a clean example go for it.

I have 227,000 miles on an ‘08 2.2 Ecotec (no VVT). No major issues, just normal maintenance. Water pump started leaking just after 220,000 miles and was replaced. You do not need to removing the timing cover to do the water pump. Not sure why people do that. There is a water pump access plate.

Mine has had an intermittent startup rattle since new. Never got any worse so I stopped caring.

The ignition cassette coil is know to go back on Ecotecs that use that style of ignition. But they’re cheap and easy to replace.

If you buy the vehicle and plan to keep it, I would just do the chains and w/p all at the same time. I think ZZP sells upgraded guides if you plan on doing aggressive driving. I would jump on a Vue with a 5 spd, not many around, and those are very tough transaxles. They are pretty tough units overall w/ the manual box and the 2.2

2005 Cobalt 2.2 just turned 371K miles. Energizer Bunny. I did do the timing set about 330K, was getting noisy at startup. Water pump right before 300K, 2 alternators, starter, heater core. Just replaced original front wheel bearings, one cv shaft and control arms this year. Unbelievably A/C system never been touched and works like new.
I think these A/C systems that DON'T cycle the compressor live longer.

2005 Cobalt 2.2 just turned 371K miles. Energizer Bunny. I did do the timing set about 330K, was getting noisy at startup. Water pump right before 300K, 2 alternators, starter, heater core. Just replaced original front wheel bearings, one cv shaft and control arms this year. Unbelievably A/C system never been touched and works like new.
I think these A/C systems that DON'T cycle the compressor live longer.
Woooow that's impressive! That car was made on a Tuesday for sure...

Wife's 07 HHR engine was fine. EVAP codes grew around it.

Like said, watch for subframe rust. None of those cars still exist up here.

Back