Changed Cam chain tensioner --now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the new AC Delco 12608580 cam tensioner for my 2.2 Ecotec 'F' today and after reading extensive posts on various forums decided I would remove the old one to gauge the condition before removing the valve cover or front engine cover. The old one came out easily enough and left only the actuator tip in the hole which I was able to easily remove. I stuck my finger in the hole there and could feel the plastic chain guide and I could push it a little and feel some tension on the chain so I got confidence that the chain probably hadn't jumped. I screwed in the new tensioner after pre-oiling it in a dixie cup with an inch of oil in it. I decided not to remove the valve cover or front cover.

Before staring the engine I floored the gas pedal and hit the starter half a dozen times to advance the engine which might help get the tensioner ready for duty then I started the engine. Started ok and revv'd a little like it does when cold then settled down to a smooth idle. It was quiet although I could hear just a little valve noise and listening close to the engine with the hood up I can still detect just a little chain noise now and then.

Overall a success, at least for now but I think I need to re-think my maintenance strategy. I have been using Mobil 1 5w-30, about 5500 miles on it for this year. The change oil light hasn't come on yet but I think I will change it at the end of the month right after some scheduled body work, with less than 6k on the oil.

I wonder if I should plan on removing the front cover to check out the timing system sometime in the next year or two? Of course I will see how it runs and starts with the new part and work on it sooner if needed. Maybe it will be ok with just new plastic chain guides. Can I install those from the top without removing the front cover?

I have read a lot on the timing chains on these and other GM engines and I wonder what would be the best oil for this engine? I have read some people are using a 40 wt oil despite not being Dexos approved. Could I mix some oils to give good start up plus chain protection?

Saturn VUE 2007 2.2 I4 Ecotec 5M 78k Miles

I started it up again after a while and it sounds quiet. good.

Does anybody know : can I change plastic chain guides from the top?

I use Mobil 1 5-30 because they use it in Corvettes, but maybe I should use something else?

Use the oil the manufacturer recommends. You cannot change the chain guides without removing the front cover.

This is not entirely true, there is a small guide between the two camshaft sprockets that is changed by removing the valve cover.

if you are tearing it down enough to replace the guides might as well put on a new chain too?

I typically don't do 1/2 mickey job: so when I do chain or tensioner rail job, I would do the full-meal deal (with chain set, tensioner, rail, sprockets, etc.)

Just like t-belt servicing with all the tensioners and water pumps...it's never a good idea to re-do it just because Murphy's law will get you a few hundreds or a few thousand miles down the road and either the tensioner or water pump caught up with you.

Same goes with sprockets and chains.

Q.

Yeah, if I have the front cover off I could change the sprockets and chain, and I could screw it up, too.

Actually I'm not in favor of removing the front cover, I don't have a hydraulic jack anymore and it requires removing a motor mount.

Maybe I will just wait until I change plugs and then try to look very closely down there and see how things are, unless it starts making a lot of noise or doesnt run right.

There are many opposing views on this subject, some people say the chains will be good for a couple hundred thousand, others had failures under 50k.
Some people had success with minimal repairs, others replaced everything and still had problems. They all have different stories but I think they are telling the truth, just different experiences, probably different versions of the engine and different oil and OCI.

I think I need to rethink my oil change strategy, probably lower mile OCI at least on this engine *(I have another 2.2 ecotec in a 2009 Cobalt but it is different enough with VVT it hasn't shown any symptoms of oil problems).

I read somewhere that some GM dealers were recommending 0w-40 or 5w-40 instead of the factory recommended 5w-30, which is what I have been using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back