GM dealer installed smashed filter?

Probably ran over something. Maybe a piece of a heavy duty recap. Parts of recaps can do a number on your vehicle.

Customer brought this in today because it is leaking oil everywhere. It looks like someone dropped the filter prior to installing it? This filter isn't really in an area where it could be hit by any debris. It's cracked where it is smashed. V6 Equinox

if it was leaking from that, and it was installer error you would think that vehicle was leaving a blood trail from the moment they started it up .

Years ago someone posted a picture of a Fram filter that blew out, supposedly. To me it looked more like it took a hit from a 9mm. This is sounding similar.

The question is does it look like it's actually a new filter, or did someone struggle to get the old one off with a band wrench then forget to replace it?

The filter was made the 117th day od 2022? If I understand the datecode correctly, for some reason I'd expect that GM dealers probably haven't been sitting on any PF63 filters for a year and a half, I think it's from a previous oil change, they used a band or pliers to try to get it off, could not get it off, for whatever reason went on with the rest of the oil change and then forgot to change it.

Dropped my @$$, those are wrench marks. Undoubtedly over tightened while it was being installed or removed.
Let me just say that the dents on the bottom, MAY have been from a drop, but that metal tearing was not caused by that.
I wonder where the leak was BEFORE it was removed?

We had an FL-1A come in like this from Ford on a delivery. The tech obviously brought it back.

IMG_4025.jpg
IMG_4024.jpg

I just changed the oil and filter on my 98 Chevy K3500 with the 7.4L and used an AC-Delco PF 1218 filter on it and it weighs next to nothing and feels cheap.

Customer brought this in today because it is leaking oil everywhere. It looks like someone dropped the filter prior to installing it? This filter isn't really in an area where it could be hit by any debris. It's cracked where it is smashed. V6 Equinox

Those look like jaw wrench marks biting into the can. Looks like a case of an untrained mechanic work. Kinda surprising since vehicle service manuals I've read always show a pictorial drawing of a filter using a cap wrench tool to tighten to torque spec than a specified amount of turns.

Anyways offtopic but similar horror story, early 2023 I went to American Tire Depot for an appointment for new tires, unfortunately the tech that did the work for 500 dollars overtorque my lug nuts so when I did my tire rotation and bi-annual brake bleeding. A few studs snapped. Took me a hour or 2 to replace with new studs, thankfully Toyota have clearance notches to knock out broken studs from wheel hubs. They forever have lost any future business with me lol. Its kinda sad these days newer techs don't know what a torque wrench is and going off with their ****ty impacts.

^^^ my thoughts too, a jaw-type or plier-type wrench being used to install it with too much squeeze, and possibly too much torque.

I've always been of the camp that pliers and band wrenches are for removal only.
Absolutely. Pretty much every filter box I've ever seen says to only tighten by hand, and every repair manual says the same (Hayne's, Chilton, etc). Only exceptions would be cartridge-style filters, but with those you're installing the filter housing over the filter cartridge, so it's kind of apples-->oranges.

Back