GM AFM lifter failure mode identified by GM?

This video by GM is 5 years old, but I've never seen it discussed. Apparently low oil pressure is or can be the culprit. Low oil pressure caused by plugged VLOM filter, or VLOM leak causing a "miss timed" reactivation event of the lifter. Or IMO, using 0w20 oil, but that's just me.

Well - so far all indications are my 2017 has a clean engine …
We‘ll see …

Not a GM guy so just my 2c.
Do all AFM failures cause by sludge motor/low oil? And if no oil pressure is an issue, using 0w20 would have helped as it's easier for oil pump to build up pressure?
Could switching to a higher output oil pump solve this issue?
I feel like if AFM switching from v8 to v4 under high rpm, the solenoid may get caught in between if not retracted fast enough, but ECM should know better and avoid this situation?
Anyway thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see how AFM works.

Not a GM guy so just my 2c.
Do all AFM failures cause by sludge motor/low oil? And if no oil pressure is an issue, using 0w20 would have helped as it's easier for oil pump to build up pressure?
Could switching to a higher output oil pump solve this issue?
I feel like if AFM switching from v8 to v4 under high rpm, the solenoid may get caught in between if not retracted fast enough, but ECM should know better and avoid this situation?
Anyway thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see how AFM works.
Failures are not happening at startup, so I don't think building pressure quickly by the OP plays into it. The oil pump on mine and I think 2014 and up has a 2 stage feature (not sure how that works), my normal oil pressure below about 3600 RPM is around 35-40psi IIRC, above 3600 it jumps up to about 60psi IIRC. I don't remember what my hot idle OP is, but now I am going to check my pressures at all RPMs.

Failures are not happening at startup, so I don't think building pressure quickly by the OP plays into it. The oil pump on mine and I think 2014 and up has a 2 stage feature (not sure how that works), my normal oil pressure below about 3600 RPM is around 35-40psi IIRC, above 3600 it jumps up to about 60psi IIRC. I don't remember what my hot idle OP is, but now I am going to check my pressures at all RPMs.
It is a variable displacement oil pump.

It is a variable displacement oil pump.
That’s what they call it - but I always see one extreme or the other on pressure - it maxes out based on demand (pedal) before the high RPM’s are even there (which makes sense to me) …
Always figured no middle ground as before …

Of course he is talking about the old AFM and not the NEW DFM......
Also, those motors (I have had three of them 5.3's) run with very low oil pressure at idle as it is. It can't get much lower.

That’s what they call it - but I always see one extreme or the other on pressure - it maxes out based on demand (pedal) before the high RPM’s are even there (which makes sense to me) …
Always figured no middle ground as before …
My current truck has it seems to be pretty solid, but I just rolled a 1000 miles.

Reactions: 4WD
The newer failures like in the 2021 and 2022 models were failing at 4k to 10k miles from new. It was an issue with a bad batch of lifters. But if you ask me, it is still the quality of the lifter. GM going with the lowest bidder and this is what you get. Even those that deactivate AFM/DFM are still having failures. Best to let it ride through warranty and if you plan on keeping it, either take a chance or completely remove the system all together.

Back