Glock 42 vs Glock 43 for CCW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Can you get a .357SIG barrel (and maybe mag) for the 43? There's your trail animal caliber (for short barrel sub-compact)... or .40s&w barrel and mag.

No. Can't think of any conversion barrel that increases cartridge diameter, can you? .357Sig in a 43? Good grief.

When I go hiking/biking/camping I size up not down.

Stormlake, Lone Wolf, and KKM to name a few that offer .357SIG barrels for different Glock models. What's your point again?

They all convert a .40 to a .357 Sig. Or they convert a .40 to a 9mm. They all convert the same size cartridge (.40 and .357 Sig) to a different bore, or they convert a larger cartridge (.40) to a smaller one (9mm)

None of them convert a 9mm to a .357 Sig - that's going up in size and the slide (and possibly frame) would need to be replaced.

The point then: what you described is not available. It won't work. You can't go up in size with a conversion barrel*.

*The one exception is that you can go from a 10mm to a .45 ACP - but that is a high-power caliber to a another caliber of slightly less power and both of those pistols, the G20 and the G21 share the same frame and slide. The G20 was built around the 10mm and the G21 simply used the existing parts of the G20, with a change in magazine and chamber/bore.

Last edited:
Can you get a .357SIG barrel (and maybe mag) for the 43? There's your trail animal caliber (for short barrel sub-compact)... or .40s&w barrel and mag.

No. Can't think of any conversion barrel that increases cartridge diameter, can you? .357Sig in a 43? Good grief.

When I go hiking/biking/camping I size up not down.

Stormlake, Lone Wolf, and KKM to name a few that offer .357SIG barrels for different Glock models. What's your point again?

The point is this, does anyone offer a conversion barrel that increases the cartridge diameter of the host pistol? EG from 9mm to .40 or .40 to .45 etc? Don't think so. This is what you proposed.
I suppose you could get a barrel to convert from 9mm to something like .41AE with a rebated rim. Why is another question. 9mm is a nice tiny gun cartridge.

Thank you for all of your input. I went out to the range again this morning, shot both. 9mm is a great round (my G19 9mm) is my first and favorite pistol. The G43 is just a bit too harsh on recoil, I am a pretty small guy and it rocks me backwards. First shot is fine, follow-up shots are difficult. I just got back from picking up a new Glock 42 from Academy sports.

Looking forward to putting some quality range time in with this little pocket rocket!
Thank you all once again for your input/knowledge!

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Thank you for all of your input. I went out to the range again this morning, shot both. 9mm is a great round (my G19 9mm) is my first and favorite pistol. The G43 is just a bit too harsh on recoil, I am a pretty small guy and it rocks me backwards. First shot is fine, follow-up shots are difficult. I just got back from picking up a new Glock 42 from Academy sports.

Looking forward to putting some quality range time in with this little pocket rocket!

Excellent.

The gun that YOU shoot well is the best choice for you.

I just got back from picking up a new Glock 42 from Academy sports.

thumbsup2.gif

Now get yourself an Uncle Mikes size 3 pocket holster and some good self defense ammo.
Hopefully you got a later model with the revised magazines. I had problems with the slide locking open with rounds still in magazine. Drove me crazy.
I did some online research and found that Glock had redesigned the magazines to prevent this. Lucky for me, Glock's North American headquarters is only 5 -10 min away from me.
They swapped out my mags for the revised ones.
Look at the back of the magazine and see if there is an "03" at the bottom. If so, you're good to go.

Check out Shooting the Bull's .380 ammo quest on You tube for some good info.

Don't worry if you get a bunch of jams and end failure to ejects at first. First box had about 10, second box 5, third only a couple.

in the last 6000 rounds had only a couple. The thing is flat out reliable. Give it a chance. Grip it very tight.

After a while you can limp wrist and it will still work.

Al - I am surprised at your comment and I can honestly say that in thousands of rounds in each of my Glocks (I own 7 at the moment, all bought new) that I never had a failure or jam of any kind, including during break-in.

Even on aluminum case Blazer 9mm and other cheap ammo.

That's what I find so impressive about Glocks - they just work!

Last edited:
LCP II is the best over all value plus has the best trigger in it's class ... Very accurate at 12 yards , very reliable and fits in a pocket holster (supplied) quite well ... It goes on sale for $249 and can be had regular for $279 .

Early 42s and early 43s had some issues. Many new models (across the board) do. Same goes with early version Keltec 32s, LCPs and Picos I mentioned earlier and own.

Bugs from that era are history. I never buy a new-model anything..... guns, washing machines, vehicles......etc.....etc...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Al - I am surprised at your comment and I can honestly say that in thousands of rounds in each of my Glocks (I own 7 at the moment, all bought new) that I never had a failure or jam of any kind, including during break-in.

Even on aluminum case Blazer 9mm and other cheap ammo.

That's what I find so impressive about Glocks - they just work!

I can say the exact same thing here. I have purchased a total of 7 Glocks, all brand new in the box. (4 in 9 MM, and 3 in .45 ACP), and have never had a jam, hang up, or failure of any kind... Ever. I can't say that about any other pistol I've ever owned. Including all of my Sigs and 1911's. In fact, the only other firearm I could put into the same class of outright reliability as my Glocks, are my AK-47's.

+1. If I bought a Glock that jammed a bunch of times I'd be disappointed and it'd be gone after it took a trip to Georgia.

Very common for the earlier 42's
But like I said 6000 rounds in the last couple of years. With 2 or 3 failures (I am being generous here). At least 1/3 of that is on tulammo. The 43 I can not recall any failures in maybe 3K rounds.

*The one exception is that you can go from a 10mm to a .45 ACP - but that is a high-power caliber to a another caliber of slightly less power and both of those pistols, the G20 and the G21 share the same frame and slide. The G20 was built around the 10mm and the G21 simply used the existing parts of the G20, with a change in magazine and chamber/bore.

I dont have a G20, and as far as I know, you cannot go from 10mm to .45ACP. The breechface is 40 caliber, and will not fit a 45 caliber case. The G20 and G21 do not use the same slide. I believe its possible to shoot 10MM in a G21 with a conversion barrel.

Originally Posted By: TOMJ
I researched .380 defensive ammo and found a round that passes the F.B.I. protocol as far as penetration is concerned. I settled on The Precision One load of the Hornady XTP bullet. This round penetrates the F.B.I. standard of 12" - 18" with perfect expansion. Check out Shooting the Bull's .380 ammo quest on You Tube.

Shooting the Bull's info is very flawed. Garbage. He discounts a lot of data, and doesn't account for things that he should. He doesn't account for quality control, sealed primers, sealed bullets, low flash powders, reputation of the company, how much R&D dollars that company spends on load development, etc. Doesn't account for feet per second, and the apparent reliability factor of "hotter" ammo, compared to "slower" ammo. A .380 that travels at 950 FPS is much more likely to be consistently reliable and work the action in most semi-auto pistols than a similar .380 load that only does 850 FPS. He only looks at the data he gets, using one type of gel. His methodology is absolute garbage.

For instance, his "highly recommended" Precision One brand ammo loaded with XTP bullets. Ever heard of that company? What do you think the R&D budget of that ammo company is? Do you think their buying power and availability to them of top quality gun powders is the same as Speer? They are a very small scale, basement or kitchen table manufacturer. Speer, Winchester, Hornady load ten thousand times more ammo than Precision One ever will. An XTP, is an XTP, is an XTP. The bullets are all the same. I'll take one from a well known manufacturer, that uses low flash powders, and loads them decently hot (not overkill hot like Buffalo Bore), and seals the primers and bullets with the proper sealants that we expect from high quality defensive ammunition.

Speer Gold Dot .380 is the way to go. Its hot. Its high quality. Its well researched, well developed, top quality ammo. It does 11-12 inches in gel, and expands nicely for .380.

Hornady Critical Defense .380, a round I despise and detest, actually works pretty good in .380. Its one of the better .380 loads. In other calibers, not so much.

If you want XTP bullets, I'd get them loaded straight from Hornady. And definitely not from Precision One.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Hornady Critical Defense .380, a round I despise and detest, actually works pretty good in .380. Its one of the better .380 loads. In other calibers, not so much.

This is what I have right now. Will go with the speer stuff.

I have grown fond of the 9x18mm Makarov ammo for CCW myself. For IWB holster. The CZ-82 is a 12 round double stack magazine and is good for CCW for everyday carry. Extremely accurate because it is a blowback design and has hexagonal rifling in the barrel. Really great trigger pull for a military pistol It was designed for a much higher chamber Czech 9x18 ammo than other Makarov-style pistols so hot handloads, no problem. You can get parts for them too. Never had any issue with mine. Some Czech army units still use them today.

If you need a real small pocket sized the Polish Radom P64 is a good choice too, six rounds. People commonly change the hammer spring on the P64 which can be a bear for double action trigger pull on the first shot, though I have some that as received had perfectly OK trigger pull on the first shot. However for military surplus you get what you get.

For outside waist band carry I would go with the Glock 21 if we are talking Glocks here. Or a 19 is fine. I have a Glock 21 I bought from a local firing range here in NH that was used as a "rental gun" but then sent back to Glock for factory reconditioning which they basically replace everything but the polymer lower and they X-ray that and replace that too if needed. And they give you a new case and 2 new 12 round mags. I paid just $300 for it with the case etc and literally was a new gun except of course it has an "old" serial number.

I echo the earlier sentiments -- I have never had any malfunction whatsoever shooting all kinds of .45 ACP through the Glock 21, every brand, ball ammo, hollow points, you name it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back