glass top electric cooktops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at induction cooktops. SOOOOOOOOO much better! It directly heats the pot. Can boil water faster than a gas cooktop, perfect even heat, and the cooktop itself does not get hot.

Went with a six burner induction for our new place. Would never use anything else.

Last edited:
I HATE my 3 year old Frigidaire Gallery electric range. The glass top is slow to heat, the oven is SLOW to heat. Wish I had the ugly old GE back, at least that one didn't take 25 minutes to get to 425...takes longer to get to temp than to cook the kids' tater tots.

We bought a fridge/stove/microwave/dishwasher set from HH Gregg 3 years ago to replace old mismatched, but functional appliances...the dishwasher already died, the stove is awful, the microwave is OK and the fridge is decent but nothing special...the crushed ice dispenser just doesn't want to work right: it clogs up instead of dispensing.

I learned and still cook on a cheap Magic Chief electric coil top + oven combo. The oven temp is dead on however and heats fast. Neighborhood is all electric.

One of the main reasons I've kept it is that ALL CONTROLS are on the front...like a gas range. NO reaching across hot/boiling pots to adjust temp. Not sure why the manuf's can produce a gas range that kids can't turn on, but not an electric one.

With that said, at this point, I'll go with an induction top. All my pans are compatible.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I did quite a bit of research before purchasing all Whirlpool appliances earlier this month........

I just replaced an expensive ($1,800.00), Samsung fridge, after the second icemaker went out on me. The electronic circuit board that controls it also went out.... Total quoted cost.... $500.00. The first icemaker ran me $350.00 after only 3 years. The unit is barely 7 years old. The repairman told me he repairs more Samsung and LG appliances than any other. They are over engineered, and the parts are expensive and hard to get. He said he has customers constantly waiting on parts.

So after deciding not to put another $500.00 into this dog with fleas, he recommended Whirlpool / Maytag. So that's what we bought. And it not only has all the same features as my overpriced Samsung did, it only cost me $1,100.00 delivered with the old one hauled away. A little over double what they wanted for just replacing the icemaker on the Samsung! We are very pleased with the new Whirlpool unit, and he said if we ever need parts he can get them the same day. We will also be looking at Whirlpool for our new dishwasher.

We made the mistake of purchasing a Samsung 55" LCD for our bedroom. And it has nowhere near the picture quality that our 65" Vizio does in our family room. Needless to say, I am so done with ANYTHING Samsung.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
I feel a lot better now about making my own ice cubes. Thank You!!!

I tried going down that road as well. It lasted just one time. Constantly filling and emptying trays. Spilling water everywhere. Having half of your freezer compartment taken up by ice trays, and NEVER having enough ice. No thanks. Perhaps it's OK in Fargo in January, but certainly not in Phoenix in July. And the problem with those home ice making machines they sell is they're all way too noisy, and take up too much space. A good icemaker is the ONLY solution.

Out here a high capacity icemaker is not a luxury. It's an absolute must. The main thing I've learned with them, is to stay away from any of the units that are modular, (i.e. one piece plug in). And are electronic to the extent of requiring a built in circuit board to operate them. They are overpriced when they have to be replaced, and usually have a much higher failure rate than the mechanical ice makers do. (Look for the mechanical arm that is pushed up by the ice when the bin is full). These are still available on many of the American based units. Pacific rim manufacturers like Samsung and LG have all gone 100% electronic wherever they can. Easy and cost effective for them.... But expensive for the consumer if and when anything requires replacement.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I just bought a home with the dreaded glass cook top. Hate it. Changing to gas ASAP.

I got a glass gas cook top... Love it!

If i looked at induction cooktops, what cookware will work? I assume it must be to some degree ferrous. I can use my cast iron right?

Any favorite ceramic non stick pan sets that work with induction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back