Your opinion on gas vs electric cooking when buying a house

We have no gas service at our house, but I would LOVE a gas range with a wok burner.

proxy-image

You get much more even heat distribution under your pan with a flame. It flows across the underside of your pan as opposed to just making contact like an electric burner does.

I'd go electric. The current political climate makes gas too uncertain. In addition, since you have expierience with induction, the next owner might want to do the same.
Induction is also much safer for elderly people, since it doesn't matter if you forget to turn off a burner.
Electric is healthier too, so these can all be selling points IMO.

My wife and I would never consider buying a house that has any type of gas appliances, unless they were removed by the seller and replaced with electric. Induction would be fine though we've not tried one yet.

Interested in knowing why?

I would choose gas, hands down every single time. Cheaper, easier, easier to manage heat (visual reference), I just can't imagine why you would choose electric.

Can be used for other things as well...lighting a match that just went out, without using another. Sealing a nylon rope (yes, we have externally vented hood), can be used during power outage (we heated our home for a bit when I was a kid during an extended power outage), can still cook during power outage, can use a variety of cookware, can toast bread and tortilla shells right on the top...just love gas stoves!

I'd go electric. The current political climate makes gas too uncertain. In addition, since you have expierience with induction, the next owner might want to do the same.
Induction is also much safer for elderly people, since it doesn't matter if you forget to turn off a burner.
Electric is healthier too, so these can all be selling points IMO.
Gas isn't any less healthy than electric. Just need to make sure you have proper venting.

The current political climate makes gas too uncertain.
This is, unfortunately, a valid concern and worth considering on a new build. As some have already suggested, have the infrastructure available for both. For me it is not about being pro gas out of some sort of spite it is simply the cooking experience and what I can do is way better served by a gas stove. I do not like electric cook tops at all and yes, I have had them and have experience with them. Redundancy has always been important to me as well, we are heated by a heat pump and I have gas fireplaces. Either heat source works fine and I basically flip a coin as to which one to use but when our power is out (frequently in my area), we have the gas backup and it is solid.

This is, unfortunately, a valid concern and worth considering on a new build. As some have already suggested, have the infrastructure available for both. For me it is not about being pro gas out of some sort of spite it is simply the cooking experience and what I can do is way better served by a gas stove. I do not like electric cook tops at all and yes, I have had them and have experience with them. Redundancy has always been important to me as well, we are heated by a heat pump and I have gas fireplaces. Either heat source works fine and I basically flip a coin as to which one to use but when our power is out (frequently in my area), we have the gas backup and it is solid.
I see you saying that you have tried electric. Have you tried Induction?

I see you saying that you have tried electric. Have you tried Induction?
I have not. I am certainly open to giving it a try if push ever came to shove and my gas stove got hauled away or the gas valve shut off. I have heard they are better at low temps for simmering etc. I'd need to ensure I had compatible cookware too. My wife designed this house reno (years ago now) with aging in place in mind (curbless showers etc.) and we did think about induction at the time for that reason but memories of burnt grill cheeses, ruined rouxs and on / off cycling elements ended that.

We switched our range to gas, and I have to say, I don't like it. It probably has much to do with it being a JennAir down-draft system. The flame gets pulled over by the down-draft blower and becomes uneven.

I think the best now is an induction range.

If your house is connected to a gas line, I’d probably go gas appliances.

If you're remote and have to get gas delivered or run off a propane tank, I’d probably go electric.

Back