Your opinion on gas vs electric cooking when buying a house

I bought a house to rehab and flip. My elder brother is doing most of the work. I have no experience using gas to cook with. My current home has an induction cooktop and it is much better than traditional electric coil and smooth tops in my experience.

The home I'm rehabbing has a 30" smooth top range. The home has natural gas heat and a gas water heater and my brother said he can easily convert the kitchen for a gas range and add a proper ducted range hood.

Because of the recent attention to gas cooking, I'm thinking a gas range would make the house more desirable when on the market.

If you were looking at buying a house, would you want gas or electric? What if the house had an induction range?

MY house has instant on halogeon cooktop which could be another option. I think it depends on whether you are marketing the house with a "Chefs Kitchen" or not. Most people who like to cook a lot prefer gas. I cook a fair amount and the smooth cook top that I have is easy to clean. Personally I would hate to clean the top of a gas stove.

I and everyone I know would prefer a gas stove.
Friends who went to chef school remember fighting with fellow students to get to the gas stoves first.

However, I've never been a "single issue" home buyer and I think induction is acceptable. My brother and SIL love their new one.

If the building had no gas service, I'd stick with electric/induction.

Also, there are considerations for forgetful elderly people within a household. Sometimes an electric stove with a safety turn off can be needed.

I prefer a gas range range over electric. The type of cooking would have little if any in my decision to buy a particuliar house. Outside of California, it will be a very long time before the availability of gas stoves are limited.

For me, gas heat is the most important to me and was my major factor when I purchased my home.

Last edited:
I prefer a gas range range over electric. The type of cooking would have little if any in my decision to buy a particuliar house. Outside of California, it will be a very long time before the availability of gas stoves are limited.

For me, gas heat is the most important to me and was my major factor when I purchased my home.

Our state is really trying to move away from gas heat. But it's the cheapest by a long shot. I'm hoping to get a gas main run to the house and install a gas furnace. Oil heat is terribly expensive.

We have an electric stove and I'm not a fan. It works fine, objectively. I just really dislike electric stoves.

I bought a house to rehab and flip. My elder brother is doing most of the work. I have no experience using gas to cook with. My current home has an induction cooktop and it is much better than traditional electric coil and smooth tops in my experience.

The home I'm rehabbing has a 30" smooth top range. The home has natural gas heat and a gas water heater and my brother said he can easily convert the kitchen for a gas range and add a proper ducted range hood.

Because of the recent attention to gas cooking, I'm thinking a gas range would make the house more desirable when on the market.

If you were looking at buying a house, would you want gas or electric? What if the house had an induction range?

I always have trouble with induction and getting it to the heat I like. it's either way too cold or gets way too hot. I'm sure all it needs is me getting experience with one though. With gas I set and forget....

Honestly I'd like both, a few gas hobs and a few electric. electric cheap right now? use it. electric expensive? use gas.

Induction then gas. Proper range hood (6" wider than the range) regardless. One big positive for induction is that the blower motor on the range hood doesn't have to pull a lot of CFM's because there's no waste heat to evacuate like what you have with a gas range.

For the record I have a gas range.

CA has an interesting strategy. Ban ICE vehicles, replace with EVs. Ban natural gas stoves, replace with electric. What could go wrong? Better have a nice charcoal grill just in case. Maybe they will ban that method too. Back to the stone ages.
images

freepik

I always prefer gas for cooktop cooking. I have no interest in an induction cooktop that would require me to replace all of my pots and pans. But ideally I also have dual electric wall ovens since gas ranges/ovens tend to throw so much heat into the kitchen. That may be OK in the winter for some people. If I only had room for a range, I'd make it dual fuel---gas top, electric oven.

I think it depends on who the target market is for the house. Upscale, more likely to have a cooking enthusiast in the home and/or a Wolf range is a recognizable luxury feature - gas. Run of the mill family house with young kids and people who just need to get dinner on the table - electric.

I live in FL, most houses are all electric.
I grew up in Mi, most of the stuff we had was gas...
gas stove is quicker to heat up, but like anything its just a learning curve to use one or the other.

If I had a choice of gas water heater and stove versus electric I'd prefer gas, but mostly don't have that choice.
I honestly don't think too many people would care either way.

My wife and I would never consider buying a house that has any type of gas appliances, unless they were removed by the seller and replaced with electric. Induction would be fine though we've not tried one yet.

If you've got a guy there running gas lines, and all the walls opened up, I would run one to the stove location and put in a ducted vent hood. We have gas, and will always have gas, but we ran a 220v line to the stove location, just because its easy to do at the time of construction. Maybe don't have any stove there at all? Let them decide.
Half your buyers will want gas and the other half won't, so you've pleased both sets.

From a useful point of view and experience, when we had a major power outage years ago our stove was/ is natural gas with the electronic starter. Being from the old school, I was able to get the stove to work by lighting the burner with an old fashion high tech device, a match. An all electric stove is useless in that situation. Only other option would be to fire up your Bar=B-Que. But if all YOU plan on doing is flipping the house, let the new owners figure it out.,,,

IMO. Since you're rehabbing the house and it already has gas appliances in it, it wouldn't be hard or expensive to add a gas outlet near the stove so that the buyer can put put in either a gas or an electric stove. But people are picky about not only gas vs electric also what brands that want and smooth top vs conventional ranges, the number of burners, double ovens, etc. So if the current stove in in good condition I would leave it in place and sell the house with it. They buyer can then put in whatever they want.

You wouldn't even necessarily have to connect the new gas line to the gas supply. Just run the line and and cap both ends off and leave it to the home buyer to have the gas line connected if they want to use gas.

Back