Give Me A Break!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How do gypsies have anything to do with being Romanian?

Phonetics:
Romani
Romanian
(A lot of people don't read all the letters)

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How do gypsies have anything to do with being Romanian?

Phonetics:
Romani
Romanian
(A lot of people don't read all the letters)

I guess I'm failing to see what this has to do with Romania. When I was in Europe, they were referred to as Roma.. I see the similarity in spelling, but that's about it.

Door to door sealcoat hucksters and gypsies are both bad news. But I do reserve the bulk of my contempt for the 'Roma' if I have to choose between the two.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Are they gyspsys? [censored] paving and sealing jobs are their scam of choice.

Interesting that you paint the Romani people with such a broad brush.

Yeah, not ALL gypsies have paving as their scam of choice!

Originally Posted By: spiritrider
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Are they gyspsys? [censored] paving and sealing jobs are their scam of choice.

Interesting that you paint the Romani people with such a broad brush.

The crime families are a distinct minority within the Romani population.

Also, a good portion of the home repair scams are in fact run by the minority crime families within the "Irish Traveller" population. Although, they are also mistakenly called gypsies because of their earlier tendency for a nomadic lifestyle. They are genetically Irish and not in the least related to the Romani.

That is as totally bogus as using the Mafia to paint all Italians as criminals.

The 'Irish Traveller' community used to be called TINKERS before it become 'politicaly incorrect'...they are thought to be of Irish heritage but live a nomadic lifestyle....travelling from one area to another. There are also 'gypsies' aka 'Roma' in Ireland, Scotland and Britain and it is hard to figure out who is who (although the tinkers tend to look more Irish...ie fair skin, freckles etc...)...It is reputed that they scam by collecting welfare benefits in several different counties (the equivalent of our states) and are known for scamming, stealing and other nefarious activities....they used to 'tinker' with pots and pans and the like but now just seem to live off the dole....

PS: In the old days they had horse drawn coaches and let their horses graze on other people's land....in recent years they are known to travel by Toyota Hiace vans...

PS: The poor reputation of the tinkers and gypsies is well earned....but they certainly aren't Romanians....

Recently a guy came and knocked on my grandpa's door and asked if he remembered him, that he was one of the roofers that did his roof. That was 12 years ago, of course he doesn't know the guy. Then the guy starts selling hard about the cracks in the concrete driveway saying he can seal it and that soon it's gonna get real bad etc. My grandpa told the guy it's been cracked like that for the 45 years he's owned the house, that he doesn't think it's going to get much worse. The guy got really mad and started yelling obscenities and left.

Most cities have ordinances about solisatation. I know mine does. Couple guys with chainsaws kept trying to sell me palm tree cutting on bicycles. Really I think they wanted to check out the contents of my garage, anyway quick phone call to the city and a few minutes later, police car came down the road.
He talked to them. They went in the backseat, bicycles went in the trunk and I never seen them again.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I don't bother people at their homes and I don't want to be bothered.

Amen. Leave a flyer in the mailbox. If I'm interested, I'll contact you. I hate being bugged during my precious free time for things I have no interest in.

Driveway repair seems to be a common mode for scamming. I have seen multiple "on your side" local news stories over the years involving driveway coating scams.

I don't even answer the door for sales people or anyone I'm not expecting.

Roma = Romani ... the people referred to by the derogatory term "Gypsy".
Romanian = a citizen of the country Romania, or someone descendent of Romanian citizens.
"Paving and Sealing guys" are not tradespeople. A tradesman cares about the quality of his work.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
"Paving and Sealing guys" are not tradespeople. A tradesman cares about the quality of his work.

Perfect. I hope you've never had the horrible opportunity to deal with some of them in this province.

I knew the paver guys were sketchy but I learned a lot about the Roma by Googling. Never knew they originated in India.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Are they gyspsys?

Are they what? lol

Maybe he means "Travelers". Little mongrel scammers of Irish descent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back