Get your act together Chevy (venting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this is super long, please feel free to post random "your post is too long" statement and skip.
The car: 2004 Chevy Cavalier.

2 things have happened that make me seriously doubt Chevy's ability to double check. The first I found out come the first oil change. The manual says 4 quarts, so thats what I do and it doesn't register on the dipstick at all. A quick cruise round the internet tells me the general consensus on the eco-tec is 4.5 to 5 quarts. Call the Chevy store, they say "a little more that 4.5". GM's online owners manual, and exact pdf version of what came in my car says 5. Why is my manual differant?
banghead.gif

Today, cars at 15,000 miles so new airfilter time . I went with the fram because the air filters are ok, super cheap, and made in Canada. (Like products from Ukraine, I buy Canadian whenever I can because they're so rare, except maple syrup.) Pop it in the housing, and its just a little too small, leaving a gap at the top. Fram gets returned, and in goes a purolator. Same thing happens. I had the parts counter girl check, and this is the right filter, and cross references with the A/C Delco. It just won't fit. Go to the Chevy store, get the Delco, the exact x-refference to the other two, but its differant and fits perfectly!?!?!I now have no choice as to where I buy my air filters. I think at GM, when it comes to cheap cars, the tollerances for everything go way up. Now, for my re-enactment of life at GM in the cavalier design building (the tool shed behind the Silverado design palace and day spa.)

Engineer #1: Hey, did you double check that owner's manual draft?

Engineer #2: Nope. Hey, you measure that air filter housing.

#1: Nah, but it looked around 5 by 6 inches.

#2: Sounds good, lets go hang out at the C6 design Dome and golf course.

#1: Sweet!!! (spills coffee and uses important Cavalier blueprints to clean up.)

(Exit tool shed) The End.

had the same air filter problem with a K&N and my BMW.

The oil capacity not being quite right is normal, its like that in my BMW and my GF's integra.

Sure there isnt small print somewhere that essentially states that the oil pan is 4 qts, add 0.5 qts if the filteris changed?

My 98 S10 ZR2 is spot on at 4.5 qts with a new filter.

JMH

well than maybe it is a typo or something has been changed since the production of the manuals. Ive seen stickers over certain parts of text in manuals before.

Then again, it may just be dumb oversight on part of the design team, etc.

Ive had similar experiences in many different ATs before. THree different capacities given in thre different sources, inabilityt to get the correct reading where Id expect it, etc., etc.

JMH

I've gotten sloppy fitting Purolators for two GM products and a Honda product in the past year that fit so poorly that I didn't use them.

Wix filters fit all three vehicles perfectly.

YMMV

A 2003 Toyota Echo manual listed two wildly different (as in no way could the filter account for the difference) capacities for the engine oil. The capacities were listed on two different pages, one as a footnote in the section about changing/checking oil and the other in the table in the back of the manual listing all the capacities.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
Figure out the oil capacity on your own.

On the bright side the AC Air Filters are quality pieces.

How do you do that, blind faith in the dip stick from the same company? My 02 manual for the Ecotec says 5.8. 5 comes just over the full mark.

Note, It is GM's fault that the Fram and Purolator were made wrong?

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
No problem with the Getrag 5 speed. There isn't any way to really check it.

There is a fill/level plug on the backside of the tranny. The 1.8 quarts of ATF that GM recommends was right on the money, so next time I change the tranny fluid I'll just drain and fill with a little less than 2 qts. through the red vent cap and not bother removing the level plug. I also had the problem with the air filter, but you can order in quantity from www.gmpartsdirect.com. Haven't tried a NAPA, Carquest, or other Wix filters in it yet so don't really know if they would work.
cheers.gif

Oh by the way the filters that fit sloppy in the new Cavalier fit perfectly in the older body style cars, so it may be a filter mfg. misprint.
cheers.gif

[ May 22, 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: cousincletus ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back