Genuine hardwood vs engineered or vinyl plank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We replaced carpet with real hardwood (oak) about eight years ago. One thing that really impressed me was that it added a lot of strength to the plywood subfloor. The house feels a lot solider now.

Originally Posted by 440Magnum
I've got both in my house, hardwood and "LVP" (Luxury Vinyl Plank, aka engineered plank). I put the hardwood (red oak) down throughout the ground floor myself 18 years ago, and its just getting to where it needs a re-finish. Good hardwood (the real nail-down, 1/2" thick tongue-and-groove stuff) is TOUGH. Especially when coated with old-school spar varnish. It was a metric ton of work to install, but I got a real pleasure out of taking my time and doing it myself, cutting and fitting the pieces to stagger the joints, making sure things aligned, nailing it home with the flooring nailer through the tongues (all nails invisible except on the last board against the final wall).

That said, the engineered plank looks very good and so far is durable, but its upstairs where the traffic is much lower. It also just "feels" more austere or clinical. The real hardwood has a warmth that the engineered plank lacks. The sound of walking across it is more natural... not quieter so much as more pleasant.

If you've got hardwood and it can be refinished, then I'm with your friends that say keep it!

Real hardwood around here is 3/4 inch and you can sand 1/4 inch before you get to the tongue and groove. It's also cheaper sanding than installing a new floor. And I'm not sure how the handyman would know about resale value. You shine up floors in a condo for short money and it sells quicker than having a new appliance which is about the same money.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
That the OP plans to sell in 1-2 years factors into his decision. He wants ROI not warm and fuzzy.

and that's a problem. Apparently the mighty dollar prevails over common sense.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Originally Posted by AZjeff
That the OP plans to sell in 1-2 years factors into his decision. He wants ROI not warm and fuzzy.

and that's a problem. Apparently the mighty dollar prevails over common sense.

I forget, what exactly was everyone thinking again? It's cheaper to refinish the hardwoods and they're better than engineered or laminate flooring.

Just needs to suck it up and deal with the 5 days that it will be out of action. Best time to plan a vacation or stay with friends for a few days.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Best time to plan a vacation or stay with friends for a few days.

With an elderly incontinent dog. Good times!

Hopefully OP is investigating local conditions and not counting on our varied expert opinions.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Somewhere in between is Bamboo.

I have bamboo floors in my den and in my office (2 different kinds) . They are awful. Damaged way too easily.

Last edited:
My parents had some high end Pergo installed in their kitchen ~15 years ago. Still looks amazing today, I'd say as good if not better than the significantly cheaper laminate we put in my house 2 years ago. It certainly doesn't scratch as easy as mine.

If you're thinking of retained value stay away from Laminate. There is a hard hollow sound (that screams cheap) when you walk over it. When we were looking at houses, we wouldn't consider one with laminate floors. Engineered hardwood is a step above laminate and hardwood is the real deal. Small amounts of tile or stone are good too.

You have hardwood floors and refinishing them would be a low cost option. There is one sensible option and a few other choices. You decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back