Gearwrench 28 piece combo wrench set $81 on Amazon

I hope this is the right category. This popped up on my amazon page. Don't need it - but it seems like a good price for GearWrench, and it includes all the oddball in between sizes that the cheap sets exclude but you run into occasionally if you mess with enough old junk like I do.
1702997035896.jpg

I think it's a scam. Those Gear Wrenches don't have any gears.
Does Gear Wrench sell standard wrenches too? That's my thought anyways. I do have some of these with the gears & they're a little bit thicker than a standard wrench which can be tricky to use once in a while but they're great otherwise.

Does Gear Wrench sell standard wrenches too? That's my thought anyways. I do have some of these with the gears & they're a little bit thicker than a standard wrench which can be tricky to use once in a while but they're great otherwise.
They’re 6 point as well, as opposed to the normal 12. Better for not stripping hard to reach fasteners, but limited in turning if there’s no room to swing it.

Gearwrench can't make decent small wrenches. Anything below 15mm they start to get real bad quality.

I have these style wrenches - they're the same ones that are included with the 80966 mechanics tool set (but smaller range) and not sure I'd recommend them.. Not that they're "bad" but I actually found the 6-point ends to be annoying to use, and almost always reach for my 12-points first.
For fasteners that were in bad shape, am usually able to get an extractor socket on them so haven't come across many situations where they were really needed.
The open ends also feel a little sloppier to me than my "normal" (12-point) long pattern gearwrench set.
If I was going to buy a new set of wrenches today for anti-slip purposes I'd look at something else that had "RBRT" or similar in another brand. Anyone here use these or anti-slip wrenches professionally? Would be interesting to hear experiences.

I bought these a while back. Many of the wrenches were not straight. Meaning, they would not lie flat. The markings were not stamped in the same place. I sold them.

My Tektons are much better. My Stahlwilles are in a class by themselves.

6 point combination wrenches. Is it just me or are these rare? They seem like they could be a pain in tight places too.

6 point combination wrenches. Is it just me or are these rare? They seem like they could be a pain in tight places too.
You don't see them too often, but they're not hard to find either if you look around. I think most of the tool companies have made them at some point. I'd like to get a set someday, but only if I find an older used set for cheap.

Yeah, I used the word "annoying" to describe using them but to be more clear--it's the fact that you only have half as many positions to use to get on the fastener and make adjustments. The roads where I live are salted in the winter but not as severe as in the "Rust Belt" - where I assume there are folks who do have more of a preference for these.
Ages ago, I remember that the craftsman mechanic sets (black case) that Sears used to sell had 6-point box ends, which might be when they were more popular.

Back