GDI Oil Consumption Cause(s) ?

Messages
2,943
Location
GA.
Thread starter
In my experiment to run QSUD 5W20 I have already added 1 qrt. of make up oil by the 3,100 mile mark on my way to a 3,750 mile severe service OCI . I wouldn't even consider my driving anything other than average suburban driving with my daily work commute being 40 ~ 45 minutes one way . Both the older PFI engines in my signature don't burn a drop of oil during a OCI - not the case with the newer GDI Sonata , so what gives with GDI engines using / burning oil when broken in by the book and factory fill changed at 1K miles with synthetic oil used it's whole life to date ?
 
Messages
16,695
Location
NH
Might be reading too much into one data point? Loads of non-DI cars burned oil, so much so that many of the OEM's have had a policy for years of stating that 1qt/1k (or 1qt/1.5k, depends on who) was "acceptable" oil consumption. Thin oil, low tension rings, and who knows what else--some engines like to consume oil more than others, and that's even within the same engine family. My wife's Camry typically uses no oil over a 10k OCI. I used PP 10W30 for a change or two, and I think the first time I did, it used a qt over 10k. But not since. shrug
 
Messages
7,058
Location
The Midwest
My wife's Audi and my Elantra sport don't consume oil and they both have a GDI-T engine. The VW GTI I sold my brother needs 1/2 a quart added 4K into the OCI. Sold the VW to my brother at 166K which he uses for his work car. Pharmacist at WM and doesn't want his new Acura MDX getting dinged up at work.
 
Messages
1,797
Location
San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
2.0L Skyactiv engine here that's DI. I don't burn a single drop in 7K mile intervals.
Mine burns 1 quart per 3000 miles
 
Messages
909
Location
PA
Originally Posted by E150GT
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
2.0L Skyactiv engine here that's DI. I don't burn a single drop in 7K mile intervals.
Mine burns 1 quart per 3000 miles
Turbo model? I don't see how one skyactiv can burn 0 and the next burn 2 quarts during a regular OCI.
 
Messages
865
Location
Wash, DC
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I have already added 1 qrt. of make up oil by the 3,100 mile mark on my way to a 3,750 mile severe service OCI .
I think this consumption is more of a Theta II thing than a GDI thing.
 
Last edited:
Messages
14,451
Location
...
Being GDI has nothing to do with oil consumption. That is up to the individual engine. My Mazda doesn't use a drop of oil.
 
Messages
1,186
Location
PEARL River la
You changed oil at 1000 miles so engine was not broke in. Most engines I have seen that used oil was changed early on first change. 1qt at 3k is not bad and could stop as engine breaks in. My van dropped a qt in first 4k but has not used any since which manual states is normal.
 
Messages
2,804
Location
St. Louis
I think I would experiment with a different oil like 5w-30. I like PP 5w-30 in my 2017 Elantra. No mileage penalty that I can tell. What was you oil consumption before QSUD 5W20?
 
Messages
33,685
Location
Southern NJ
Originally Posted by E150GT
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
2.0L Skyactiv engine here that's DI. I don't burn a single drop in 7K mile intervals.
Mine burns 1 quart per 3000 miles
Just curious, how did you break-in the engine? There are a number of things that can cause oil consumption. My Skyactiv 2.0 didn't burn any at all. I also broke it in with high load in a tall gear. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.
 
Messages
2,943
Location
GA.
Thread starter
*I am now leaning strongly to this possibility ... It stinks to do everything proper during break in and taking care of the engine and still have it burn oil !
Originally Posted by circuitsmith
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I have already added 1 qrt. of make up oil by the 3,100 mile mark on my way to a 3,750 mile severe service OCI .
I think this consumption is more of a Theta II thing than a GDI thing.
 
Messages
2,943
Location
GA.
Thread starter
*Next new vehicle I buy I will not change the oil until 3K miles as changing the oil in my Theta II at 1K miles didn't matter (I did it due to earlier concerns the Theta II may have metal shavings as a result of the engine build) .
Originally Posted by tiger862
You changed oil at 1000 miles so engine was not broke in. Most engines I have seen that used oil was changed early on first change. 1qt at 3k is not bad and could stop as engine breaks in. My van dropped a qt in first 4k but has not used any since which manual states is normal.
 
Messages
2,943
Location
GA.
Thread starter
*About the same oil usage using 5W20 and 5W30 oils ... I've never run the same synthetic oil twice in a row though .
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
I think I would experiment with a different oil like 5w-30. I like PP 5w-30 in my 2017 Elantra. No mileage penalty that I can tell. What was you oil consumption before QSUD 5W20?
 
Messages
2,943
Location
GA.
Thread starter
Varied speed by the book then dumped factory fill at 1K miles using synthetic oil every since at severe service mileage (3,750 miles) .
Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by E150GT
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
2.0L Skyactiv engine here that's DI. I don't burn a single drop in 7K mile intervals.
Mine burns 1 quart per 3000 miles
Just curious, how did you break-in the engine? There are a number of things that can cause oil consumption. My Skyactiv 2.0 didn't burn any at all. I also broke it in with high load in a tall gear. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.
 
Messages
13,322
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Assuming you have serviced your carboned-up intake by now........ maybe try this next time.... I noticed Walmart now sells STP Synthetic Oil Treatment. Get a bottle of that (16oz?) and four quarts 21oz of RGT 5w30 (thick). My 2.4 holds 5 quarts and 5oz. So I'm guessing yours is the same. Thicken up your brew by going to this thick 5w30 and high viscosity @ 100cst and still be a SN Plus Dex1/G2 oil.
 
Last edited:
Messages
2,943
Location
GA.
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Assuming you have serviced your carboned-up intake by now........ maybe try this next time.... I noticed Walmart now sells STP Synthetic Oil Treatment. Get a bottle of that (16oz?) and four quarts 21oz of RGT 5w30 (thick). My 2.4 holds 5 quarts and 5oz. So I'm guessing yours is the same. Thicken up your brew by going to this thick 5w30 and high viscosity @ 100cst and still be a SN Plus Dex1/G2 oil.
*33K miles on 2017 Theta II 2.4L GDI engine ; I have used CRC Intake Valve Cleaner approx. every 12K miles . I'll use a 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oil next OCI (QSUD 5W20 was only to establish a worst case base line OCI over 4K miles) . In 5W30 grade : QSUD , Pennzoil Platinum , Castrol , Valvoline Advanced or M1 . I won't add a product like STP to the oil - if the engine doesn't work out with my synthetic oil protocol I'll take it up with Hyundai (along with all my oil receipts) to establish an oil burning trend with this engine .
 
Messages
572
Location
Ohio
I changed oil in my new then altima (2009) at 1k and the dang car has used oil for 10 yrs. I'm pretty tight with the chief tech at my Nissan dealer and he said that early oil changes were highly advised against so when my wife got her new rogue I changed it 5k and so far at 25k hasn't used a drop.
 
Messages
2,943
Location
GA.
Thread starter
Originally Posted by D1dad
I changed oil in my new then altima (2009) at 1k and the dang car has used oil for 10 yrs. I'm pretty tight with the chief tech at my Nissan dealer and he said that early oil changes were highly advised against so when my wife got her new rogue I changed it 5k and so far at 25k hasn't used a drop.
*Go figure - right ? I changed the oil in the Elantra in my signature new at 1K miles and it has never burned a drop of oil - still in the future I will wait longer before I change the factory fill out (i.e. 3K miles ) .
 
Top