GDI oil change interval

For me, 4K on Hyundais/Kias. 5K on anything else.

Haven't decided what to use yet for the Mazda CX-5 2.5L Skyactive (not a turbo.)
I've been running 7500 OCIs on my Mazda 6 with the same engine. All my mileage is highway though. I don't see any increase in oil levels over the OCI, and the oil doesn't smell very strongly of gasoline when I drain it. Bought the car a little less than 2 years ago with 8800 miles on it, and it's got 79,000 on it now.

What do most do for a GDI only engine?
I've been doing 4,000 miles on my 6.6L GM engine.
Is there any benefit to using HPL and extending the drain?
I worry about timing chain wear from the soot build up.
That gasoline beast holds eight quarts of oil.....right?
I would lose the 0w20 and do 5k OCIs using 5w30 Dexos 1 Gen 3.

I've been running 7500 OCIs on my Mazda 6 with the same engine. All my mileage is highway though. I don't see any increase in oil levels over the OCI, and the oil doesn't smell very strongly of gasoline when I drain it. Bought the car a little less than 2 years ago with 8800 miles on it, and it's got 79,000 on it now.
Thanks! What oil are you running?

P.U.P. . On sale at NAPA until end of month . It's $34.99 for the 5 quart jug and $7.69 for a quart . No rebates for Pennzoil :( .

The row to far left is the ULTRA and the P.P. is to the left of it . All are 5w-30 S.P. , GF-6A . The ULTRA has high OXIDATION , a plus . Safe for catalytic converters and helps prevent or lower carbon deposits of engines with Turbo D.I. ( G.D.I. ) and D.I. engines .

IMG_2514.JPG

The chart below should apply to S.P. as well . Use chart below to compare to additives above .

IMG_2490.JPG

Last edited:
I run what the factory recomends in my MAZDA CX5. An excellent UOA suggests that thr factory knows more than many of us self appointed "experts"

3 month or 3,000 miles is what I do on our '21 Crosstrek and '21 Acadia 3.6L. Filter change every other oil change, as lately we've been hitting the 3 month mark before putting on 3,000 miles.

Using Valvoline EP or Mobil 1 EP. Probably going to try Castrol Edge EP next.
JRHAWK9,

May I ask what the fascination is on the 3 month oil change? That is a very old time spec from the 1970's.

3,000 is conservative enough for even the most paranoid people.

Now if you drive one city block or a mile to work, and never set your tires on a highway, then maybe I could relate.

No fuel dilution in my case but oil starts thickening at around 5k miles, that's the most I extended OCI on that GDI.
I’ve been a follower of this site and never heard of oil thickening from a GDI designed engine, that’s interesting. Always read of the usual fuel dilution.

I’ve been a follower of this site and never heard of oil thickening from a GDI designed engine, that’s interesting. Always read of the usual fuel dilution.
I think it may as well be due to my driving cycle, about 22miles each way to and from work, engine warms up and lighter fractions in the oil evaporate and then burn off.

It depends on the specific GDI engine.

On our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder with the VQ35DD, I don't go beyond ~3500 miles between engine oil/filter changes. Google sludged VQ35DD and you'll see why. Major issues that were not shared with the VQ35DE port injected version of this engine.

On our 2016 Chevy Malibu w/ GDI 2.5L, I go 5000 miles.

On my 2022 Nissan Frontier with the VQ38DD GDI, I do 5000 miles.

JRHAWK9,

May I ask what the fascination is on the 3 month oil change? That is a very old time spec from the 1970's.

3,000 is conservative enough for even the most paranoid people.

Now if you drive one city block or a mile to work, and never set your tires on a highway, then maybe I could relate.

GDI and short trips. Cheap insurance.

I have since switched to HPL PCMO and will be going 6 months. It's costing me less to run HPL @ 6 month intervals vs Mobil 1 ESP @ 3 month intervals. The Acadia will be around 5-6K at that 6 month period and my Crosstrek will be around that 4-5K area at 6 months.

I wouldn't go above 5000 miles on GDI engines, depending how sooty the oil gets at that mile range. I dunno why most KIAs and Hyundai's are specing 7500 miles for service, seems to stretch it out too far even on bulk synthetics. I'll be doing an oil change and coolant drain and fill on a friend's KIA Rio 2013 this holiday so I'll be cutting open the oil filter when it serviced in my garage.

D.I. ( G.D.I. ) is better for gas mileage . Don't think so , reason being short oil changes compared to vehicles with 7,500+ oil intervals . Such as the FIT with the E.F.I. , not the last generation , that has D.I.. So much for savings on gas . It also contributes to more airborne particles ( soot ) .

Last edited:
P.U.P. . On sale at NAPA until end of month . It's $34.99 for the 5 quart jug and $7.69 for a quart . No rebates for Pennzoil :( .

The row to far left is the ULTRA and the P.P. is to the left of it . All are 5w-30 S.P. , GF-6A . The ULTRA has high OXIDATION , a plus . Safe for catalytic converters and helps prevent or lower carbon deposits of engines with Turbo D.I. ( G.D.I. ) and D.I. engines .

View attachment 193646

The chart below should apply to S.P. as well . Use chart below to compare to additives above .

View attachment 193647
IMG_2493.JPG

Back