Gathering fluids to change them all!

I'm gathering all the fluids together to swap everything in car front to back as I just hit 100k kms on my 2014 Chrysler 300C AWD with a 5.7L. I do have a couple questions...

I've got a bunch of Napa ATF+4, some DOT 3, Mobil 1 5W-20, Pennzoil Platinum Axle fluid (75W90 for the front, 75W140 for the rear), just need a liter of BW44-40 transfer case fluid ($$$ must be made of gold flake :( )
Coolant was done the other year when a squirrel took out the belt/tensioner etc, lol, plus I'm waiting on a lonnng back ordered water pump so it will be done again then.

One silly question I have about the Pennzoil Plat Axle oil (Napa Canada has a good special on them right now btw.)
The website shows them in a silver bottle, but the ones I got are in a yellow one. Would there be any difference (probably just diff packaging right?)

The other question I have is about the power steering fluid. I'm planning on using ATF+4 in the power steering as it says it is acceptable as a substitute, but have read in a couple spots its not (needs MS-11655 hydraulic fluid.) Should I look for something else or use the ATF+4?

Thanks for the help all, lets hope we can get some decent weather to get all this stuff in the car!
🔧

Last edited:
Regarding the power steering fluid — It’s something changed so infrequently that why not just use the right stuff and not worry about it again for another 100,000 miles or so? I wouldn’t want to go through the trouble of changing all these fluids and putting something in there that is only an acceptable substitute.

I dont remember seeing the Platinum in a yellow bottle either but its not one of those things I go looking for. I guess you have to trust the label. As an aside I did the same thing you are doing on my Dodge truck this past spring. All fluids along with hoses and belts. Everything except the tranny pan went smooth but I hear a whine now that I dont remember before. It might be my imagination but I kind of wish I had done drive train services separately with a bit of drive time between them so I could tell if changing one thing caused it. Like you I did not use OEM fluids, mostly Valvoline Gear oil, ATF+4, motor oil. For the power steering pump I used ATF+4 as that is what it speced on the cap.

Yes, I looked under the hood and nothing there, so its def the electric assisted one in the wheel well. Thanks GSCJR.
Now to look for the right fluid for it. I'll check how much the dealer wants as I need to get the transfer case fluid there too It looks like :/

No problem. Your transfer case can also use ATF+4, you can ask them about this too.
I did ask the dealer about the transfer case fluid a bit back and they said it didn't take ATF+4, that I needed fluid for Borg Warner 44-40 (says 44-40 right on bottle he showed me.)

I know this is old but no one provided an owners manual. Sheesh.

CF3BAE90-A7B7-4EB1-AD77-03E4641E8634.jpg
55CC21C2-3AA8-4CD5-9D69-DBCFF50BE1D3.jpg

Thanks Snagglefoot, I do have an owner's manual with all the charts in it. This will be helpful for anyone with an LX car of this era though as they are all the same...

It's almost time!
I still can't find a good price on a liter of the transfer case 44-40 fluid, and a liter of the Pentosin CHF 11S Power Steering fluid at a reasonable price :(
Dealer wants $53 per liter for the transfer case stuff and $35+ per liter for the power steering! Ouch! :(

NAPA Canada has the Pentosin CHF 11S for $27.79/L CDN which is ok price :/ lol...
Still can't find anything compatible with the X-case 44-40 fluid that's not $50+/L :(

I've been told by a couple people now that the 44-40 BW fluid is essential to the this xfer case due to the auto-engagement clutches in it which many more basic xfer cases like in the trucks don't have... But don't a lot of the newer trucks have autoAWD as well?! ...I'm so lost trying to find anything compatible :(

Last edited:

Unavailable from either. The first, the cheapest shipping I've ever seen from them when looking for stuff was $25 anyways from some clips (I bought elsewhere!) Thanks though...

Back