Gas Tank Overfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a gas station today that I normally do not go to, however I decided to try it anyway since the station had just been remodeled with new pumps and everything. So basically while I was there the cut off on the pump never kicked in, I spilled about a half gallon or so on to the ground. The gas that spilled came out of the center top of the gas tank instead of the filler tube, about the same location the vent line is connected to.

The attendant was pretty upset treating me like I was an idiot because he though that I spilled over 12 gallons of gas on the ground. He came out and was like "did you not see it all leaking out?!?!?!" I was driving my Tbird that has a 22 gallon gas tank and most coupes now have only 12-16 gallon tanks. It was only overfilled a gallon max, I guess he just doesn't know what 12 gallons of gas would look like if I did actually overfill it that much.

Has anyone ever had a modern gas pump like this not kick off?

Also why would it blow the vent off? Shouldn't it spill out of the filler tube?

Last edited:
Last year I stopped at a pilot truck stop to get gas and pumped about $50 on the ground.

The tank was getting full, so I released pressure on the nozzle. It kept going full speed. It started spilling out of the tank and I let go of the nozzle completely.

The handle was in the stop position. Then I pushed in the receiver to make the pump shut off. Still wouldn't stop pumping. I ran inside the store with it still pumping all over the ground and my car and they used a shutoff.

LUCKILY it was January, and quite cold, so there wasn't anything hot for it to flash on.

Yep, I've had the shutoff not shut off and had fuel come out of the filler. I always stay next to the pump for that reason, even if it's nasty outside.

If it gushed that much out someplace other than the filler neck... maybe your fuel system has a problem. The tank is supposed to be vapor-tight, and overflow is supposed to only happen at the filler neck so that when the gas cap is on everything is sealed tight. Maybe that's why the pump never kicked off?

I guess I will have to take it down and check all the seals up top, I know that I replaced the lock ring on the fuel pump however the fuel sending lever still has the 25 year old lock ring.

If that old lock ring started leaking I suppose that would explain it.

A few months ago one of our shop guys was refueling a company truck. He put the nozzle in the tank and locked the handle down, then went inside to flirt with the cashier. When he walked back outside, 30 gallons or so of diesel was covering the parking lot.
What does he do? He replaced the nozzle and went back inside to pay, then left without a word. We received a call to go clean it up (we are, after all, and environmental company) for free about 20 minutes later.

Happens all the time with our Focus and Flying J gas stations.. I avoid those nowdays. Odd it's the only gas stations I've had the overfill problem with and only this car.

I had a gas pump nozzle fail on me and I ended up having to go to the ER as the gas spraying out hit me in the face. Trust me that is NOT fun!

As others have said the pump kept going even though the handle was off. I was standing there just kind of looking around as the tank was filling. Instead of kicking off when it got full it kept going. I didn't realize it until all of a sudden gas comes spraying out of the fill tube all over me.

My reaction was to jerk my hand back and when I did the nozzle came flying out and I got a face full of gas. Got into my eyes. Man did that sting. Spent the next 3 hours laying in the ER having my eyes flushed out.

No lasting harm. The lesson I learned is to pay attention while filling up and listen to the sound change when the tank is getting near full. I am now ready to dive for cover if it won't shut off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TFBird
The attendant was pretty upset treating me like I was an idiot because he though that I spilled over 12 gallons of gas on the ground.

He should hope he's not there if that pump gets inspected and that the person inspecting it doesn't treat him as rudely as he did you, for having faulty equipment and not noticing it. Had the attendant been nice, I'd have asked him to get it fixed before it causes real damage. Since he wasn't nice, I would call the regulator and report it.

One time I stuck the fuel cap in the handle because the little ratchet thing to hold the valve open was broken. I thought it would cut out automatically but it didnt.

Caught it right away, it wasnt unattended, but it spilled down the side and on the ground. Just a waste.

I would be concerned with the ability of the system to release pressure/equalize, and also if the charcoal container absorbed liquid fuel and is ruined...

I've never had it happen but seen it happen to a gal few years ago. She had gas spraying out and she pulled the nozzle out spraying gas all over her car then kept waving the nozzle spraying gallons all over the place til I was able to hit the red emergency shut-off button on the side of the facility and banged on the window to get the worker's attention. We cone'd off access they had a drum of kitty litter stuff that's wasn't near enough. That gal was lucky she didn't get to much gas on her.

Not same... but last week saw a fella pull away in his truck while the nozzle was still in the fill. It disconnected some type of coupling that's about half way up/down the hose. He saw the hose (I seen him seeing it) in his side mirror when the coupling snapped then he hit the gas and took off with the hose dangling. Whatever type of coupling it was, no gas was spraying.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Yep, I've had the shutoff not shut off and had fuel come out of the filler. I always stay next to the pump for that reason, even if it's nasty outside.

In Iowa its the law. I love the dirty looks I get from people when I remind them of the law after they sat in their vehicle while it fueled. You would think I had just kicked them in the beans...

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

In Iowa its the law. I love the dirty looks I get from people when I remind them of the law after they sat in their vehicle while it fueled. You would think I had just kicked them in the beans...

What about the ones that have no beans? lol

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It happens. Thank God not very often. I've had them stick on me but I never leave them unattended anymore...

I never leave them unattended either, It probably would have been a lot more if I would have been inside.

I had one that would not shut all the way off. put the handle back on the pump and it was still running. Went in and told them after moving my car, don't know what they did to shut it off.

The old pump trick is to stick a Snapple bottle to jam the handle when your filling up a big boat. Stick it into the port fill of a Bertram 60, and go have lunch.

Some pumps don't like certain vehicles, I have never figured it out.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The old pump trick is to stick a Snapple bottle to jam the handle when your filling up a big boat. Stick it into the port fill of a Bertram 60, and go have lunch.

Some pumps don't like certain vehicles, I have never figured it out.

Reminds me of the days when I worked in a Marina, big outboard powered boats were always having a hard time getting 200 gallons mixed with the right amount of oil into the tank on fishing day. I had a rack with 4 or 5 different funnels so I could mix and fill and curse and coax it all in before the day was over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back