Fancy cars with no gas in them.

Isn't there a general consensus that it's not a good idea to run a vehicle to empty/almost empty? Potential debris in the bottom of the fuel tank. Always fill my vehicles up when about an eighth of the tank remaining per fuel gauge, or indicates less than 50 miles remaining. Nice feature if you have, particularly on long trips!

Isn't there a general consensus that it's not a good idea to run a vehicle to empty/almost empty? Potential debris in the bottom of the fuel tank. Always fill my vehicles up when about an eighth of the tank remaining per fuel gauge, or indicates less than 50 miles remaining. Nice feature if you have, particularly on long trips!
It’s an old wives tale probably from the gravity fed carburetor days.
It’s true for motorcycles with fuel taps. They have a reserve setting that is actually a shorter tube that draws from the bottom of the tank.

The fuel pump always draws from the bottom of the fuel tank. If there is debris there it will get sucked in regardless of the tank is full or almost empty.

I recently acquired a used boat that had not been run in 2 years. It had about 17 gallons of 2+ year old gas in it. I pumped out about 14-15 gallons the best I could. I did a 300 hour service on it (even though it probably has less than 100 hours on it). I thought it was ready to go, stopped by the gas station on the way to the lake, put 20 gallons in it (a little less than 2/3 of a tank) and go to the ramp/marina.

Boat wouldn't run well, I left it there for the service department to figure out. Took them about 3+ hours in labor, new plugs and remove/clean/replace injectors. I go pick it up 3 days later and me and the wife go out on the boat for a few hours. Next thing I know, the fuel light is on. How did we burn 20 gallons of fuel? I didn't take notice of the fuel gauge when we launched. I suspect the service department ran the boat a good while during those 3 hours....

It wasn't a big deal, their charge was over $750 for 4 plugs, the diagnosis and cleaning of the injectors. $60 in fuel was a drop in the bucket.
The two happiest days of a man's life. The day he gets his boat. And the day he gets rid of his boat.

Another thing I never understood is why people only put in $20 of gas or so at a time. I don't want to spend my time going to the gas station every other day. I guess if you've gotta buy that pack of Pall Mall Menthols everyday you might as well toss in some gas while you're at it.
So I lived in an excuse my snobbery, a hick area of NH. The local two pump station without credit card on mechanical pump was frequented by guys filling their truck for $5($2 gas) and buying a 12 pack of cheap beer daily and maybe cigarettes.

First car this morning

IMG_20240131_103937583.jpg

Always try to keep my fuel full, anytime we go anywhere on the trip home I'll stop and top off the tank, my daughters, that's a whole different story. :rolleyes:

Those sayings are usually from people who think their hobby isn't expensive. I could go on, but I don't want to trigger any reporting to the mods...
No clue where it came from. Just always thought it was funny. My hobby actually isn't expensive. It costs me the price of one box of 500 business cards once in a while. They're printed with thanks to military, veterans, police, fire and others who risk their lives on behalf of others. Then when I'm out anywhere and see any of those folks I say hello, thank them for their service to others, and give them one of the cards. Often leads to good conversations and a nice handshake. Great hobby. Far superior to golf, tennis, bowling, boating or anything else and costs less for a year than any of those for a day.

Heh heh ,My 1st '88 528e, went to the crusher with its original fuel pump at 350 k. It was only run out of gas twice in 12 yrs..I believe that there is a connection between those facts. I don't run either Camry below 1/4 tank. There are times when I don't do that for a month :cool:

Last edited:
Not a good idea to run the fuel below 1/4 tank, as the typical fuel pump is installed in a fuel basket/module (w/fuel sending unit) and its uses the fuel to conduct heat away from the pump as it runs. Otherwise, constantly running at E will shorten the life of the fuel pump, as air is a poor conductor of heat.

My ex sister-in-law proved this point on her GMC Safari, as she always ran it down to "E", and my brother and I, more than once, had to drop the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump, because it failed.

Being that we are in close proximity to the San Andreas fault I always keep enough fuel in my car to get home. I may have to go around broken bridges and what not

My practice of trying to always keep at least 1/2 tank came from similar experience. When there were storm evacuations in South Carolina, the news would often report that, because of the slow traffic caused by everyone evacuating at once, some people ran out of gas. The advice of the locals was to always keep at least 1/2 tank of gas in your car, so if you ever had to evacuate, you wouldn't find yourself in this predicament.

I don't recognize the IP. What type of car?

It's all because of the recent popularity of dashcam videos showing mechanics going joy riding in cars being repaired.😅 By bringing the car in low on gas, perhaps the owner is hoping they can keep the mechanic from going out on a long joy ride, in their pride and joy.;)

All kidding aside, I don't understand why people would regularly run their fuel level down so low. When my cars get below the 1/2 tank level, I'm looking for the next opportunity to top it off. Sometimes I will get down to 1/4 tank, but not often.

When the needle is bottomed out, or just before, is when I get fuel. Unless I have a very long trip planned, I might top off the tank before that.

I recently acquired a used boat that had not been run in 2 years. It had about 17 gallons of 2+ year old gas in it. I pumped out about 14-15 gallons the best I could. I did a 300 hour service on it (even though it probably has less than 100 hours on it). I thought it was ready to go, stopped by the gas station on the way to the lake, put 20 gallons in it (a little less than 2/3 of a tank) and go to the ramp/marina.

Boat wouldn't run well, I left it there for the service department to figure out. Took them about 3+ hours in labor, new plugs and remove/clean/replace injectors. I go pick it up 3 days later and me and the wife go out on the boat for a few hours. Next thing I know, the fuel light is on. How did we burn 20 gallons of fuel? I didn't take notice of the fuel gauge when we launched. I suspect the service department ran the boat a good while during those 3 hours....

It wasn't a big deal, their charge was over $750 for 4 plugs, the diagnosis and cleaning of the injectors. $60 in fuel was a drop in the bucket.
I had a local boat dealer work on an older Lund Tyee that I had and it had two full 6 gallon tanks of pre-mixed premium fuel. I took the boat in for some minor service and low and behold both tanks were completley empty. The dealership has been sold since that time. What a bunch of sidewinders. And no they didn't run the boat for any lengthy amount of time.

Then there's the other side of the coin. Customer brings in car with 100% full tank for an issue that requires no test driving, customer leaves, car fixed but 1/4 tank missing and more miles on odometer.

Joy riding a customers vehicle is wrong on every level, But I tell my customer they will not like paying me to pump some fuel into their vehicle!

Truth is most mechanics don't want to drive your vehicle, They make money twisting wrenches not test driving.

Just keep the young mechanics away from fast vehicles (Corvette, V8 Camaro, V8 Challenger/Charger, V8 Mustang), Got to tell them to test drive a Camry though;)

I had a local boat dealer work on an older Lund Tyee that I had and it had two full 6 gallon tanks of pre-mixed premium fuel. I took the boat in for some minor service and low and behold both tanks were completley empty. The dealership has been sold since that time. What a bunch of sidewinders. And no they didn't run the boat for any lengthy amount of time.

That sounds like theft to me. I would seriously be sending them an invoice for the fuel... BTW is usually charged at $9-10/gal from a marina for that.

They'd be getting a bill from me for:

12 gal mixed fuel, $120
1 hour of labor, $180

I'm dead serious.

My practice of trying to always keep at least 1/2 tank came from similar experience. When there were storm evacuations in South Carolina, the news would often report that, because of the slow traffic caused by everyone evacuating at once, some people ran out of gas. The advice of the locals was to always keep at least 1/2 tank of gas in your car, so if you ever had to evacuate, you wouldn't find yourself in this predicament.

I don't recognize the IP. What type of car?
2000-2006 Mercedes S class.

My routine long run -the 550 mile jaunts which I feel help my vehicles- can be done on one full tank.

However, the home stretch can become congested and who wants to look at a glowing 'low fuel' light while creeping.

A $20 cushion of fuel is where my BITOG OCD kicks in. Wait a minute...I've been doing this for decades....I can't blame BITOG.

Another thing I never understood is why people only put in $20 of gas or so at a time. I don't want to spend my time going to the gas station every other day. I guess if you've gotta buy that pack of Pall Mall Menthols everyday you might as well toss in some gas while you're at it.
I do this if I'm still in IL, need gas and know I'll be in MO shortly. At $0.30 to $0.50/gallon difference in price, I'll get enough to get me to MO with some margin before I fill up. It might be $10 (~3 gallons and 90-100 miles of driving.)

I get gas so often another stop doesn't really matter.

Now today, I'll top off in MO even though I'm at 3/4s of a tank for the same reason, I have about 300 miles of driving for service calls in central IL tomorrow.

It may not change my fiscal picture in any meaningful way.

But I do get some satisfaction of not paying the higher fuels tax in IL for roads that are not that much better if at all.

That's why I do it. YMMV.

The other reason I've done it is I'm going into Chicago. I'd rather fill up south of I80 than pay the even higher prices in Chicagoland.

A stop at Wally's in Pontiac usually does the trick. It's Buc'ees on the 5/8ths scale, LOL

Back