gas pump always triggering off on 2009 Ford E-150

Gas pump is always stopping when I fill my gas tank on my 09 Ford E-series van with over 241,000 miles on it. How do I stop this from happening?

Is it the same gas station? There was a gas station I used to go to that would trigger off on my 99 Tahoe all the time. Went on a short road trip(250 miles) never had an issue. When I got back home, went to the usual place for gas and had the same problem as before. Another possible cause, hope this helps.

My car did the same thing very sporadically over a couple of years and eventually gave me a P0455 or P0456 code (don't remember the exact code). I had a failing vent or purge solenoid valve and since replacing it, I haven't ran into fueling issues. Until I got codes, I would have only been guessing what was wrong and it wasn't affecting the car running or anything so I was able to wait.

Any CEL? Evap codes?
No. Over a few months ago, my gas gauge quit working and a CEL light came on. Went to the mechanic and told all my problems. After that, the gas filled for a little bit and went back to it. Now worse than ever.

No. Over a few months ago, my gas gauge quit working and a CEL light came on. Went to the mechanic and told all my problems. After that, the gas filled for a little bit and went back to it. Now worse than ever.
The gas gauge not working is enough to set a CEL. I know because my Ranger gets a CEL for it every winter when the level sender doesn't want to work, then when it warms up it goes away. Something to do with being flex fuel.

If the mechanic replaced the level sender/sensor, they had to drop the tank, which would involve messing with the filler neck. Check the vent line for obstructions or bends that aren't right. If everything with the filler neck and vent tube checks out, it's probably something like a vent valve for the evap canister. The vent valve was/is a common culprit for this issue on GM trucks from that time (say 2003-13) and the replacement often included relocation instructions/parts, but I am not as familiar with the E-Series.

The gas gauge not working is enough to set a CEL. I know because my Ranger gets a CEL for it every winter when the level sender doesn't want to work, then when it warms up it goes away. Something to do with being flex fuel.

If the mechanic replaced the level sender/sensor, they had to drop the tank, which would involve messing with the filler neck. Check the vent line for obstructions or bends that aren't right. If everything with the filler neck and vent tube checks out, it's probably something like a vent valve for the evap canister. The vent valve was/is a common culprit for this issue on GM trucks from that time (say 2003-13) and the replacement often included relocation instructions/parts, but I am not as familiar with the E-Series.
Ford had a TSB for something like that and the cure was to add a bottle of Techron.

Back