Funny Typos or Misspellings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to add this one, printed right on the label of an oil bottle:

Valvoline Max Life: for engines with over 750000 miles.

My youngest sister used to like to tell us stories and fairy tales that she had remembered after we read them to her.
She always began: "Oney poney time..."

Quote:

"Pollution Control Valve" (PCV valve)- if it were so then it would be Pollution Control Valve valve. Kinda like "PIN number"...

Yeah, I DID mess that one up, didn't I??!!! It should indeed be Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve (I knew it at the time too... don't know why it came out the way it did!).

Not a typo, but still grating...

The use of "bring" where "take" should have been used.

"I'm going to bring it to the tire store." Would be correct if the person were aleady in the tire store when they said it.

The difference between "to bring" and "to take" can be difficult to understand for non-native English speakers, unless someone explains the difference and proper use to them. For example, in German, "bringen" (to bring) is not bound to direction (to or from somewhere) like in English, but it is a unidirectional verb. I have to make an almost conscious effort to get it right, and if I'm tired I'll probably get it wrong.

What really drives me nuts are folks who never use "it's" and "its" properly when writing. Some even give up and use exclusively "it's." Do you know such a person?
wink.gif

Quote:

The difference between "to bring" and "to take" can be difficult to understand for non-native English speakers, unless someone explains the difference and proper use to them. For example, in German, "bringen" (to bring) is not bound to direction (to or from somewhere) like in English, but it is a unidirectional verb. I have to make an almost conscious effort to get it right, and if I'm tired I'll probably get it wrong.

This is a good explanation of bring vs come. It should make it easier to internalize than that a basic rule.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aue/bring.html

I have more sympathy for those who botch its by adding a '. Its not in agreement with the normal rule of using an apostrophe in a possesive contraction.

Who is it here that uses "it's" all the time?

From actual hospital medical charts:

1. Vaginal packing out, Doctor in.
2. Large brown BM, up walking in hallway.
3. Dressing removed, wound examined, raped, patient tolerated well. Hint: 'raped' should be 'wrapped'.
4. Lab tests show abnormal lover function.
5. Exam of genitalia show he is circus sized.
6. I saw your patient today, who is under our car for physical theray.

Quote:

Not a typo, but still grating...

The use of "bring" where "take" should have been used.

"I'm going to bring it to the tire store." Would be correct if the person were aleady in the tire store when they said it.

....or if they were talking to someone at 'the tire store' notifying them of their intentions. Of course, reiterating "tire store" to the "tire store" personnel is unnecessary, but not incorrect.
tongue.gif

On a health and safety poster at work

"Don't choose to loose your mates"

Pointed out that it was wrong, and the answer was that the spelling wasn't important, just the message.

what message ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back