AMSOIL Euro 5W-40 MS

The thing is that BMW has never officially back spec'd LL04 in the US for petrol cars probably for regulatory reasons. Beginning around 2015 they moved to sub 3.5 hths 30 grades (LL01FE for N-series gas engines and LL12FE for N47/57 diesels ).
Correct but it doesn't have anything to do with the HT/HS since LL-01 and LL-04 have the same requirement. It's solely about the SAPS level.

Correct but it doesn't have anything to do with the HT/HS since LL-01 and LL-04 have the same requirement. It's solely about the SAPS level.
BMW was certifying for sale vehicles filled with LL01FE which were previously filled with LL01. Being that LL01 was officially replaced with LL01FE BMW wouldn't all of a sudden say LL04 was now okay simply because 5 yrs later ULSG became mandatory in the US. They could get into trouble from a regulatory perspective. Hope that makes sense.

B-series were developed to allow a 20 grade which made LL04 rather irrelevant.

BMW was certifying for sale vehicles filled with LL01FE which were previously filled with LL01. Being that LL01 was officially replaced with LL01FE BMW wouldn't all of a sudden say LL04 was now okay simply because 5 yrs later ULSG became mandatory in the US. They could get into trouble from a regulatory perspective. Hope that makes sense.
What? What regulatory perspective are you talking about?

Ahh, as in retroactive credits, I misunderstood what you were saying. But from a technical standpoint there's little reason not to use Longlife-04 today if one wishes to do so.
I do. Rationalization on a mini scale. I only need one oil for both the BMW N52 and MB OM642.

And the purpose of Formula 1's 2022 rule changes was to make races more competitive so it wasn't just the same guy winning almost every race. But purpose and effect are often at odds.

That being said, if mid-SAPS makes a measurable impact on catalyst life in gas cars without a worse trade-off to engine wear, then can you provide some links to real-world scientific studies to support that hypothesis?
Many C3 oils have higher zinc and phosphorus than your random ILSAC 0w-20s. SAPS were quietly reduced in most American oils over time it seems.

M1 ESP X3 (C3) barely looks mid SAPS, for example. It probably helps slightly with deposits everywhere and possibly intake valve buildup on GDI only engines. GM is using mid SAPS for the Corvette even though it has no GPF in the US.

Many C3 oils have higher zinc and phosphorus than your random ILSAC 0w-20s. SAPS were quietly reduced in most American oils over time it seems.

M1 ESP X3 (C3) barely looks mid SAPS, for example. It probably helps slightly with deposits everywhere and possibly intake valve buildup on GDI only engines. GM is using mid SAPS for the Corvette even though it has no GPF in the US.
When move from API SL to SM happened, there was limit on phosphorous etc. That is why Edge 0W30 is still API SL.
Many C3 pils don’t have API designation bcs. that. API SP limited additives for XW40 oils.

How does the oil get from the chamber to the PCV components?

It certainly can contribute to oil consumption (blow-by is combustion gas entering the crankcase), depending on the design. Honda's VCM was rather notorious for this, particularly in the Odyssey vans. On the other hand, the MDS HEMI's don't appear to consume oil and they spec a 5W-20.
Cylinder deactivation is just dumb. It’s here today because of CAFE. If the mfg can rate vehicles and it saves a 1/10 % they’ll do it. To you and I, will never see it except the cost of repairs. My car has start/stop but has a switch to deactivate it and I do. Absolutely lame and it’s doesn’t save anything for me in the pocket book.

Back