Fumoto and SureDrain leave dirt in pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at these products and noticed the hole is smaller than the drain hole. Usually the drain hole of an oil pan is at the lowest point. With the smaller hole in the valve, effectively moving the drain hole height upward. Wouldn't use of these valves trap dirt and oil in the bottom of the pan everytime?

I did see this in Fumoto's FAQ:

Q. Does my Engine Oil Drain Valve protrude into the interior of the oil pan and prevent full drainage of my engine oil?

A. No. The threaded oil drain plug hole is always reinforced to accept the threaded bolt of the drain plug. In most cases, the Engine Oil Drain Valve will not extend past this threaded portion of the drain hole and will allow the oil to be properly drained. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will let you drain your engine oil while it is hot without burning your hands and it is much more effective than trying to pump the oil out from above.

It says "in many cases"... how can one be sure?

[ March 01, 2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

I just milled a slot in mine. Problem solved.

[ March 01, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

I'd agree with that. These drain valves would appear to leave an 1/8 inch or so of oil in the sump when you drain it. Of course if you use ramps, the full bottom of the sump wouldn't be covered, maybe a 1/4 cup or so?

You could always jack the the front of the vehicle up at, say, 45 degrees. That should drain all the oil.
grin.gif

This is one of the reasons I stick with the standard drain plug.
smile.gif

I measured the thread depth in my oil pan, and compared it to the thread depth on the Fumoto valve. There was no problem in my installation. If there had been, I would have either ground off the valve end, or used Blano's slotting trick.

These Fumoto valves are great. I have had them on every vehicle I've owned for the last 10 years.
burnout.gif

I have them in 5 cars and I measure the oil I replace at each oil change to the ounce. On all five the drain valve has not kept dirty oil in the pan as the level on the dipstick is the same as prior to the valve with the same amount of oil added. That's precise enough for me. Maybe on some models but so far for me this is a great product.

Thanks for the comments! I have yet to hear anything bad about them.

Some S2000 owners who put an X-brace on their car consider this valve an extra special blessing. Click HERE to see what I mean.

quote:

Originally posted by Ed:
By the way, is it pure luck to get the valve pointing the right way, or is there a way to index it?

Washers??
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

Thanks for seven "duhs", but I would expect adding washers would cause leaks.
crushedcar.gif

[ March 02, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back