Fully Synthetic with high levels of zinc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
So elevated levels of zinc is important for OPE in this situation? More so than HTHS?

You make a very good point. I honestly should have asked what the grade spec is for his equipment as well.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
So elevated levels of zinc is important for OPE in this situation? More so than HTHS?

You make a very good point. I honestly should have asked what the grade spec is for his equipment as well.

Well I don't really know, I asked it earlier but no one answered it. ZDDP is anti-wear, right? I wouldn't think that would be the primary concern, considering the OP specifically stated the heavy use in high temperature environments.

Lawnguy,

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I'd use whatever is the cheapest 15W40 HDEO (Rotella, Delo, Delvac).

This is correct.

aren't you more worried about HTHS than zinc? Does the amount of zinc even matter to that engine?

Once you discover most lawnmower engines use a PLASTIC CAMSHAFT, you'll quickly understand that the need for high zinc in small air-cooled engines is near zero.

693404.JPG

s-l225.jpg

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Once you discover most lawnmower engines use a PLASTIC CAMSHAFT, you'll quickly understand that the need for high zinc in small air-cooled engines is near zero.

That would be true. Even if they are metal I haven't seen that an elevated level would be beneficial. I'm guessing you would be worried about other things in air-cooled engines operating in high ambient temperatures.

Does the Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W50 Motor Oil have all the ingredients for keeping things clean in dirty enviroments?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Does the Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W50 Motor Oil have all the ingredients for keeping things clean in dirty enviroments?

Yes, but your air filter has an even more effective system.

Yes, it is a "high detergent" street use oil. Good for normal OCI duration. Used in my BMW bike for 5,000-6000 miles with excellent result. In a LOT of Harley Davidsons!

I know this post should prob be in the lawn mower section,but I'm wonder if the people in this section have more knowledge regarding this.
I know royal purple offers the hps oil that's high in zinc,but are there any others that are available,and cost less than the $10 royal puple qt bottles?

Full syn and "high" zinc, how about Shell Rotella 5w-40. Walmart also has Rotella 15w-40 in syn-blend on the shelves now.

Those are about as high Zn levels at reasonable prices to be found these days now that many heavy duty diesel oils (HDEO) have gone SN rated.

Personally, I'd go with the syn-blend blend Rotella 15w-40.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella...13=&veh=sem

Why the high ZDDP concerns? I'd be a lot more concerned about shearing in hot weather, that's why I use straight 30 in my OPE-T6 has shown a tendency to shear pretty badly, I personally wouldn't go thinner than 15W40 in FL.

Lawnguy,

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I'd use whatever is the cheapest 15W40 HDEO (Rotella, Delo, Delvac).

This is correct.

aren't you more worried about HTHS than zinc? Does the amount of zinc even matter to that engine?

693404.JPG

s-l225.jpg

Right on... You must have looked at my 708 Exmark... lol

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Lawnguy,
PLASTIC CAMSHAFT, you'll quickly understand that the need for high zinc in small air-cooled engines is near zero.

Right on... You must have looked at my 708 Exmark... lol

It was a Briggs 3.5 HP I pulled apart maybe 15 years ago. I was stunned.

Plastic gear, sure..... but plastic LOBES?

I guess the valve spring pressure is so insanely low, probably 10 lbs seat pressure and 20lbs fully open!

Meanwhile, my latest 347 stroker engine (roller cam) with Comp Cams valve springs specifies:
98 lbs @ 1.750" (installed height),
284lbs @ 1.200" (valve fully lifted)

Last edited:
What commercial mower? Some of the more expensive ones have a oil cooler and that could well be added to. Would be curious to add a oil temp sender. Probably not as bad as you think.
I have run a Husqvarna with a 26 hp Kohler fuel injected now since 2004. Was the first that they sold with fuel injection and I-we had some issues but nothing with the engine itself. M1 for both the engine and hydraulic system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back