Fuel line fitting at fuel rail, metal (SS) or plastic?

Couple of years ago when I resurrected my Tahoe, I replaced all of the rotten fuel lines with nylon line. Way back when, I opted to keep the original metal fitting + a few inches of the OE nylon line and spliced it to the new 3/8" nylon line with a nylon compression union.

It appears now as if this few inch section of the OE 20+ year old nylon is leaking/detoriating. The rest looks dry. I want to remove this piece and add a new chunk of nylon line and a new fitting.

The parts store had this Dorman fuel line repair kit which had a 3/8" steel line quick connect, but it is plastic/nylon. Is there any specific reason to not use plastic at the fuel rail? The fittings at the tank sender are plastic at times. Also bought a 3/8" compression union in-case I needed another one.

So I'm trying to decide, use this kit or go to the parts store today, get a few inches of 3/8" nylon and metal fitting? Either way I'll be joining with a 3/8" nylon compression union.

1712586074704.jpeg

IMG_3503.jpeg

IMG_3504.jpeg

IMG_3505.jpeg

IMG_3506.jpeg

I ended up repairing the line with the new fuel line repair kit (3/8 steel to 3/8 nylon fuel line fitting and section of 3/8" nylon line). Used a new nylon compression fitting.

Before I unhooked the fuel line from the rail, I pulled the fuel pump relay and tried to fire it up to bleed off pressure in the rail. Wouldn't fire. Means it wasn't holding prime. So this seep was big enough to stop that.

All went well, fixed, no leaks. If I find that the plastic fitting isn't an acceptable repair down the road... I'll change it.

FWIW, from looking through the Dorman Fuel Line Repair kit, they do not include new metal fuel line connectors, only nylon/plastic. So that leads me to believe that the plastic is acceptable. Coming from the school of thought that if metal was preferable, they'd have some included. I can't be the only one who'd need to introduce a repair at the rail itself. Also I believe I saw online some folks using plastic 90 degree elbow fuel fittings on some 3800 V6s.

1712597563741.jpg

In a frontal crash the engine gets pushed into the firewall & a plastic fitting will break off. Also the reason a big chunk of steel shields the fuel rail.

In a frontal crash the engine gets pushed into the firewall & a plastic fitting will break off. Also the reason a big chunk of steel shields the fuel rail.
So that way we can have an open hose with pressurized fuel spray gas all over a hot engine? Those plastic quick connects are used on coolant hoses too. I've heard It's just so they can assemble the vehicle quicker down the assembly line. They're a pain to remove.

Back