Frustration with my boat and my learning curve

The boating season is moving along while I am still on for screwing with my boat.

In 2021 the VP outdrive was completely rebuilt and reinstalled but not tested at end of the season

In 2022 got boat in the water and it would not shift. Got a mobile marine mechanic (mistake) who said it first was the shift cable then the shift control. He wanted to get a used shift control off eBay. I got a new shift control and brought it to a boat repair shop. He installed it and adjusted the shift.

Next the boat still on a work rack the boat would sound a warning alarm. Ordered a Diacom to read the codes. Overheating. Ordered a cooling system test kit. Then a second. Cooling system would hold pressure for 20 min. Then wiped off the dirt on a sticker on the cooling system reservoir so I could read it which said to fill the reservoir with coolant and run at 1500 RPM to remove trapped air. Did that and no more overheating. Never used it, only tested at dock.

This year got it ready to go and won't shift. Decided to do more of my own work. Pulled outdrive cover and popped off shift cable and shifted the outdrive with fingers and shifted OK. Shift control would shift fine. Reattached the shift cable and the outdrive would shift fine from the shift control.

Now ready to take it out for a test.

I am thinking I never needed to replace the shift cable or shift control and the problem all along was it was stiff from a rebuild and not being used all winter.

And for the overheating, had I read the label, filled the reservoir and run at 1500 RPM to remove the trapped air I would not have spent time messing with things related to possible overheating.

This is a new boat to me with more engine electronics.

Frustrated it's taking so long for me to figure things out. Local boat shops mainly want to work on outboards. I don't mind doing the work but each day working on the boat is a day I am not using the boat.

The boating season is moving along while I am still on for screwing with my boat.

In 2021 the VP outdrive was completely rebuilt and reinstalled but not tested at end of the season

In 2022 got boat in the water and it would not shift. Got a mobile marine mechanic (mistake) who said it first was the shift cable then the shift control. He wanted to get a used shift control off eBay. I got a new shift control and brought it to a boat repair shop. He installed it and adjusted the shift.

Next the boat still on a work rack the boat would sound a warning alarm. Ordered a Diacom to read the codes. Overheating. Ordered a cooling system test kit. Then a second. Cooling system would hold pressure for 20 min. Then wiped off the dirt on a sticker on the cooling system reservoir so I could read it which said to fill the reservoir with coolant and run at 1500 RPM to remove trapped air. Did that and no more overheating. Never used it, only tested at dock.

This year got it ready to go and won't shift. Decided to do more of my own work. Pulled outdrive cover and popped off shift cable and shifted the outdrive with fingers and shifted OK. Shift control would shift fine. Reattached the shift cable and the outdrive would shift find from the shift control.

Now ready to take it out for a test.

I am thinking I never needed to replace the shift cable or shift control and the problem all along was it was stiff from a rebuild and not being used all winter.

And for the overheating, had I read the label, filled the reservoir and run at 1500 RPM to remove the trapped air I would not have spent time messing with things related to possible overheating.

This is a new boat to me with more engine electronics.

Frustrated it's taking so long for me to figure things out. Local boat shops mainly want to work on outboards. I don't mind doing the work but each day working on the boat is a day I am not using the boat.

Don't be frustrated. In fact you should be patting yourself on the back. Sounds like you ended up doing the troubleshooting yourself, found the root causes to your problems and then did the repairs. Take pride in knowing your repairs have been done right and you are now intimate with how your boat and engine work. The repairs will go to zero and then you'll transition to adding personal touches to your boat that is a lot of fun. Patience, persistence and the desire to do the job right always wins the day.

They say that sailing is like standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills. A power boat might be different but I wouldn't bet on it.

The cold shower part is definitely true. Having said that I really enjoyed the competition aspect of sailing. The ongoing maintenance not so much.

They say that sailing is like standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills. A power boat might be different but I wouldn't bet on it.

The cold shower part is definitely true. Having said that I really enjoyed the competition aspect of sailing. The ongoing maintenance not so much.
You highlighted the most important thing, enjoying the sailing that you did.

There's a number of negative expressions about boat ownership but I don't know how true they are or how many boaters they impact. For me my boat provides me great pleasure fishing on a quiet inland lake, pure heaven. My boat works beautifully and I've only had to do the typical maintenance of oil changes, lubing the wheel bearings etc. All very simple and easy to do. I also treat my boat with care launching and retrieving and covering it when its not in use. It looks and works like brand new to this day.

There are many things people spend a lot of money on for enjoyment such as overseas vacations, timeshares etc. that similar expressions can be made up.

For me it will be tough day when I'll have to part with my boat and the happiness it gives me.

Bust Out Another Thousand.
My brother has a tiny house in Lake George NY with beautiful two-story dock that is nearly as big as the house with a boat and 3 or 4 jet skies. His saying is Bring Out Another Thousand because there is always something needing repair at all times or in a state of repaired.

Had the boat put in the water and wife and I were ready for a test ride. Was at dock and with the engine running it shifted properly pushing against the dock lines.

Then one of the cooling hoses blew off the fitting. It was too hot to work on. It looks like I put the hose back on in the spring but never tightened the clamp.

Obviously I have one more kink to work out.

My brother has a tiny house in Lake George NY with beautiful two-story dock that is nearly as big as the house with a boat and 3 or 4 jet skies. His saying is Bring Out Another Thousand because there is always something needing repair at all times or in a state of repaired.
Love lake George, used to stay at Red Gate for years … decades later two at the time very close friends still go there.
Used to love boating in-between and around the islands, water so fresh and clean, you could pull right up to the rocks coming out of the water on the islands.

… and for @Donald good luck! I hope this long series of issues are over for you. Update us when you get out for some good long runs.
This year will be our return to salt water now on the coast of NC after 15 years of lake boating.

Boats can be a big headache. I had mine out Monday and I got about a mile out and the motor quit. I tried the kicker motor too and that died. I came in to the dock with the minn-kota front mounted electric motor. The boat was no getting fuel but half full. Its either a float sensor or it has a hose that came off the gas tank. I filled the tank full and no leaks. They cant fix it until after the 4th of July. Boats can be a real pain in the rear at times. I just had a new composite transom replaced last fall. Bust out another thousand hahahaha.

Boats can be a big headache. I had mine out Monday and I got about a mile out and the motor quit. I tried the kicker motor too and that died. I came in to the dock with the minn-kota front mounted electric motor. The boat was no getting fuel but half full. Its either a float sensor or it has a hose that came off the gas tank. I filled the tank full and no leaks. They cant fix it until after the 4th of July. Boats can be a real pain in the rear at times. I just had a new composite transom replaced last fall. Bust out another thousand hahahaha.
Wow, at least you had a fishing motor to get back. That is the one thought I hate is if I ever get stuck someplace. Dont think its ever happened to me in decades hopefully my luck isnt running out.

You may already know this. I dont know I you boat in fresh or salt water nor the age of your boat but, if the engine isnt getting gas its very possible depending on those factors that the gas tank vent is clogged. What happened to you makes that a strong possibility. I have seen it happen, engine will run fine for a short while but with the gas tank vent clogged the engine can no longer suck gas from the tank because a vacuum was created inside the tank. This condition can happen with both portable tanks and built in tanks.

One very easy way to check this if it ever happens again is simply remove the gas cap and see if the engine will run. Removing the cap allows air into the tank and eliminates the vacuum the clogged vent created. Of course one you remove the cap it may take a little long for the engine to start being it was starved for gas.

I worked at a YMCA camp at Pilot Knob one summer and Silver Bay conf center the next summer both on Lake George. Did not make a lot of money either summer but enjoyable and care free places to spend the summer when your in college.

The two happiest days in a man's life, the day he gets his boat and the day he gets rid of it.
boat happiness.jpg

That is frustrating, especially because issues really only present themselves once you are all set up and out on the water. I've only worked on outboards, mainly for family members who were frustrated with the local boat shops. It seems like their boats would sit at the shop forever, and it was clear whoever worked on them was in a rush which created all sorts of little issues. I'm sure once you get the engine/transmission stuff sorted on yours things will be a bit easier.

The best thing you can do is research common problems with your boat and go over everything as much as you can before taking it out on the water.

I worked at a YMCA camp at Pilot Knob one summer and Silver Bay conf center the next summer both on Lake George. Did not make a lot of money either summer but enjoyable and care free places to spend the summer when your in college.
Donald,

Let's see some pictures of the beast if you can. Thank you in advance.

It is exactly the same but different. I bought my first boat in 1972 and sold my last boat in 2004. I really enjoyed boating, but like every thing else in my life I just became boated out. The learning curve with anything is intense.

Last edited:
Back