Where can I find an OMC cobra mechanic?

My local marina / boat mechanics do not seem to want to take on the job of a 350 chevy / OMC cobra shift cable. Any ideas? I honestly read the manual and cannot comprehend how to do the adjustment.

OMC should be identical to Volvo-Penta. Look for a Volvo-Penta service center.
Great idea. It's really nuts, I have a 2008 Volvo SX drive, two years ago going on three (coming out of Covid) the lower unit gear case went on it. I decided to go for a OEM factory new lower gearcase.

But at first a couple places told me they will not work on ANY I/O that is over 10 years old.
Starting to get concerned I actually got lucky, a recent buyout of a Marine Dealer near my home by another local company on the other side of the lake sold and serviced Chaparral Boats which many came (or still do) with VP I/Os (other side of the lake, our lake was 41 miles long)

Once I stopped in there, lucky again, they said they would do our boat because I had the newer SX outdrive. Ironically it was that drive that had an issue the first year to two years of production with this issue. Back then if you had it, VP was doing our of warranty cost for free.
I guess in this new world, less and less boat dealers and they are so independent no one wants to work on older boats, no matter how perfect condition they are in.
The sick part was I was actually relieved to spend $5,000 knowing the boat would be fixed. Its still in like new condition with less than 150 hours on it.

Lake Norman Marina sold a lot of boats OMC and Volvo-Penta equipped. I bought a Four Winns from them with the OMC 5.8 before it was bought by V-P.

Lake Norman Marina sold a lot of boats OMC and Volvo-Penta equipped. I bought a Four Winns from them with the OMC 5.8 before it was bought by V-P.
I was only around 2 hours from there. Lake Murray in South Carolina. Incredible H-U-G-E lake that most do not know about, then again like everything the population there is exploding. Many good times over the last 15 years, will miss it. But loving the return to the coast in this case coast of NC.

One thing about the lake was it would get rough in the afternoons, hard chop. The coast/intracoastal much calmer. First run out the inlet before we winterized, tide was in full swing, water breaking on the sandbars, it was a return (feeling) to what I knew and grew up with on Long Island. Just something about the Ocean and Inlets that I love. I hate the fact that salt water eats up the boat though.
Since we trailer, I do flush the engine when we get home and soak the boat and trailer down with fresh water so not too concerned.

Now back in salt water -
As part of winterization I spray the engine block, outdrive and everything around them with Merc Corrosion Guard.
I spray all wiring, connections and anything related to electricity with Boeshield T-9 (first time using this, I used to use corrosion guard on everything then someone recommended this for wiring in here)
Its a 2008 Chaparral with less then 150 hours on it. Being it was almsot exclusively in fresh water there isnt even a spec of rust on the engine. Except for that funky coating corrosion guard leaves on it. The VP engine is still a bright red, minus the oil coatings I applied.
Most shocking is the wiring, no exposed wiring that turned green from corrosion yet.

I’ve done the opposite… Moved my boat from Little River SC to an inland lake here in NC. Kerr/Buggs Island lake on the NC - Virginia border. It’s nice not having the salt issues but then I miss some of the coastal fishing and beautiful scenery. Leaving the Little River inlet when the tide and wind was “right” did create some interesting boating. Have fun out there.

I’ve done the opposite… Moved my boat from Little River SC to an inland lake here in NC. Kerr/Buggs Island lake on the NC - Virginia border. It’s nice not having the salt issues but then I miss some of the coastal fishing and beautiful scenery. Leaving the Little River inlet when the tide and wind was “right” did create some interesting boating. Have fun out there.
OMG, small world!. Well we did the opposite 16 years ago having moved from Long Island NY to SC, now onto the coast again but in NC.

We launch at Ocean Isle which is "minutes" from our home. Sunset Beach is another option but the ramp there is scary stuff. *LOL* I'll never do it.
The inlet we ran out of was Shallotte Inlet, yes an experience. The ocean side is marked but not the intracoastal side, so technically once you start to enter the inlet from the ocean you are on your own *LOL*
Also when exiting the intracoastal into the inlet and ocean, you are on your own because there are no markers.
I suspect the sand is always shifting there and the reason for it.

I have to say though the water there is gorgeous at times. Almost Caribbean like this past August.
When we head towards the SC border it gets nasty looking, I suspect that is only because it is more brackish.
Based on your post I guess you get the same raging tides through Little River Inlet. BTW- our boat, that we bought used some years ago, originated from Little River (had a sticker on the trailer) We briefly tried to navigate to Little RIver Inlet but I couldn't be 100% sure of the markings coming from the NC side, plus short on time, will revist because we also want to cruise up to Boardwalk Landing.

Without question fresh water is very friendly to boats, I enjoyed it immensely, care free, no corrosion. We had a new 24 ft on Lake Murray years back around 2008 kids got older, I got a motorcycle, traveled a bit got rid of boat, 4 years ago I think back into boating.

Water is refreshing on the Shallotte/Ocean Isle side
Looking out to Shallotte Inlet form the Intracoastal.
IMG_4778.JPG

Below is the intra costal on same area, no brown water.
IMG_4769.JPG

Heading back in from the ocean side to the intracoastal on a raging outgoing tide. You pretty much know where the sandbars are on both sides just stay away from the whitewater.
(screen shot from a video I took below) (wish I could post videos.)
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 1.00.19 PM.png

I love this stuff,
IMG_5722.JPG

Coming in, once you get past the red and green buoy's your on your own to through the inlet to the intracoastal.
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 1.27.49 PM.jpg

Last edited:
My local marina / boat mechanics do not seem to want to take on the job of a 350 chevy / OMC cobra shift cable. Any ideas? I honestly read the manual and cannot comprehend how to do the adjustment.
There's a few places in the Buffalo NY area that you could probably schedule something with. I hear you though. It seems like no one wants to work on boats or RVs these days, which seems crazy given the amount of boats and RVs that have been purchased in the past 4yrs or so. There's money to be made.

I do not think it's very hard. Hardest part is getting to the shift control at the helm. Not exactly sure with a Cobra but you just need to adjust it so when the shift control is in neutral that the outdrive is also in neutral. Take a pic before you start.

Get the right shift cable as far as length and end fittings.

Boat mechanicd seem to want to work on outboards. If they work on outdrives then its Mercruiser.

If you have a OMC Cobra or VP then buy the manuals and study them.

I liked the flat water days where you could fish without being tossed out of the boat. This was a small shark but put up a fight either way. About a mile outside the LR Inlet.
1700603052491.jpeg

@PontiacHO
Absolutely, the early windless mornings on the ocean are awesome.

This was our last run on the boat for the year in our new home area. This may sound corny, but I wanted to get my dog to experience the ocean for the first and most likely one time in his life as he may not be on this earth next year when the weather is warm enough to go boating again. he absolutely loves going on the boat but we were informed a couple months ago. His heart valves are starting to fail, and the doctor had to guess he probably has now less than a year to live.

With that said, yes, I do enjoy the calm mornings immensely.
There are many creatures out there, and any stir of the water can turn into something interesting.
To me, it’s a blast fishing when the water at times is almost as flat as a mirror.
Fishing off Long Island for decades, we would be heading out as the sun was coming up and preparing to start going back in somewhere around noon or 1 o’clock as the Seabreeze would start picking up.
It would be typical to be 20 miles offshore in boats as small as 18 feet when we were young and as we got older up to 28 feet.

No GPS, rarely would see land out there and most times morning fog would kill visiblity we used compasses and would be anywhere from 20 miles off the coast of Jones Beach in Wantagh NY (jones inlet was our waterway back to the marina), to New York Harbor or the Jersey Highlands.
(I loved the time that I grew up in my early adult years on the water there) 😕

Last edited:
Dealing with shift cables and shifters on I/O’s of any make absolutely suck.
I’m a hands on person and boating my whole life (many decades)and I just to this day cannot deal with shift cables even as a much younger adult, even I replaced my own engine head gasket but shift cables and shifters are the worst.

Maybe I’ve been lucky, but have not had to deal with it too often, but I have the feeling on the current boat. I may need to someday in the future. It’s why I hate I/Os You would think with all the technology someone could come up with something better.
But like the OP, you have to find somebody competent, who can do the job correct the first time without having to bring the boat back if it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have as much problem with it

@PontiacHO
Absolutely, the early windless mornings on the ocean are awesome.

This was our last run on the boat for the year in our new home area. This may sound corny, but I wanted to get my dog to experience the ocean for the first and most likely one time in his life as he may not be on this earth next year when the weather is warm enough to go boating again. he absolutely loves going on the boat but we were informed a couple months ago. His heart valves are starting to fail, and the doctor had to guess he probably has now less than a year to live.

With that said, yes, I do enjoy the calm mornings immensely.
There are many creatures out there, and any stir of the water can turn into something interesting.
To me, it’s a blast fishing when the water at times is almost as flat as a mirror.
Fishing off Long Island for decades, we would be heading out as the sun was coming up and preparing to start going back in somewhere around noon or 1 o’clock as the Seabreeze would start picking up.
It would be typical to be 20 miles offshore in boats as small as 18 feet when we were young and as we got older up to 28 feet.

No GPS, rarely would see land out there and most times morning fog would kill visiblity we used compasses and would be anywhere from 20 miles off the coast of Jones Beach in Wantagh NY (jones inlet was our waterway back to the marina), to New York Harbor or the Jersey Highlands.
(I loved the time that I grew up in my early adult years on the water there) 😕
Nothing corny about wanting your dog with you. This may sound like I’m crazy but I like my dog better than most people. You are ensuring your best friend gets to experience something beautiful. It’s special when you can get close to a pod of dolphins or porpoises.

My BIL from the Kankakee area is a retired longtime boat repair shop owner. They were OMC dealers for three generations and he still goes around and does jobs others won't do.

Nothing corny about wanting your dog with you. This may sound like I’m crazy but I like my dog better than most people. You are ensuring your best friend gets to experience something beautiful. It’s special when you can get close to a pod of dolphins or porpoises.
Cool, that is what I am hoping for with my wife next year I want to see the porpoises.
Yeah, you get it on the dog thing. All year, we have been making sure to have him experience all he can before he is gone. He also loves the beach, sand, smell of the ocean, gets close enough for the waves to hit his feet and then runs back up and down to catch the next one. Pretty amazing as he is 100% blind now. Maybe why my wife and I feel extra close with him, he amazes us all the time and anyone who meets him. they cant believe he has no eyes until we tell them.

I don’t include myself in this statement because I’m as dumb as a housefly….but, I think dogs are far more intelligent than most humans. They love unconditionally, have perfect memories, loyal forever, and read their families like a book. Mine knows that I’m thinking about going for a walk. She will walk over and sit in front of me when I’m sorting my plan for the day in my mind. How do they know????

Back