Front license plates

Front license plates are required in CT. No one with Classic plates has them up front. The police don’t seem to care.

Property tax for my three 240s is $60 a year. 🙂

I’m no longer active duty, so I don’t get tax relief on vehicles. It was nice when I did, but I was driving the 1990 4 Runner back then - saving $20 a year wasn’t a huge relief…

Yeah, they know the Tundra used market, and tax accordingly. I was wrong in the above post. It was $1,500 for all of them last year. The Tundra was $1,500 when new. $691 last year.

Still a decent bit of change for property tax above and beyond vehicle registration fees.

Interestingly, it’s about $36 for the V70R, which is registered in Virginia, but currently sitting in Colorado. Clearly, they don’t know the market on that particular model. If it was a lot more, I would register it in Colorado.

The SL600 was about $120. That, and the front plate, was incentive enough to change the registration.
You still get "property tax relief" - everyone does unless you use your vehicle for business. Been around for as long as I can remember. For my Golf, I deduct miles for my business on that car so if I have more than 50% of the miles for business, I can't get the relief and it adds several '00 to my PPT bill...of course I deduct the PPT as well ahhaha

Yeah, $691 seems right...I was like "no way that is $1500". The property tax question has always been there - I tend to look at taxes more holistically and at some point, the total amount to run the local/state is what it is and whether thye get that from the income tax bucket, property bucket, etc. it will be about the same i.e. someone in a state without PPT likely pays more for the PT on their house etc.

My W8 is less than $100, the Focus is close to $100, the RX is a bit north of that....it's not much on older vehicles.

Last edited:
I live in a state where they are required. I've owned twelve vehicles and none of them have had a front plate. Never had an issue with LEO's.
That's because Illinois' enforcement is notoriously spotty. Drive through a tony suburb such as Hinsdale and you'll see all kinds of high-end European SUVs and sports cars and almost none of them will have a front plate. But if I took off the front plate on my rusty Impala and drove through there I'd be pulled over in mere seconds.

You still get "property tax relief" - everyone does unless you use your vehicle for business. Been around for as long as I can remember.

It wasn't around prior to Governor Gilmore. The plan was to phase in property tax relief over a numbers of years and eventually completely eliminate it. Unfortunately, the dot bomb crash of the early 2000s and the resulting economic fallout prevented the complete phaseout of the personal property tax.

There are lots of people in Virginia that think they're a special snowflake and want to make sure everyone else knows it.

They cost $10 a year in addition to the regular plate cost.

I've never gotten one, I never will.
There's a lot on IL also; I read once that we have the most of any state. I don't know if that is per capita or what, or even if that is still true any more. But they cost a lot more than that here! The state knows a money-maker when it sees one.

It wasn't around prior to Governor Gilmore. The plan was to phase in property tax relief over a numbers of years and eventually completely eliminate it. Unfortunately, the dot bomb crash of the early 2000s and the resulting economic fallout prevented the complete phaseout of the personal property tax.
I remember when I lived with my folks in VB having the "city stickers" every year to show you paid your PPT.

I really bemoan the trend in vehicles to have the front plate attachment point made by drilling holes right through the plastic bumper cover. When I was shopping for my Nissan 370Z back in 2009 I saw several on the lot that the moron who attached the bracket for the dealer plate either used sheet metal screws that were too long or pushed too hard when installing it and cause the screw tips to gouge the body of the car behind the plate. I told the salesman that I would refuse any car that has a plate attached.

The good news is that you can buy inexpensive plastic plugs to cover the holes if they have been drilled. And hopefully there was no damage to the body. There is a company named Sto-N-Sho that makes front plate brackets that are quick detachable and don't require drilling into the front bumper or as Raaizin did with his Porsches, use the tow hook mounting point.

A front plate on my Jaguar F Type would cover a substantial portion of the radiator intake so the first two things I did when I got the car home were to remove the front plate and disable the engine start/stop feature. If I ever get a ticket for no front plate I'll just install in on one of the Sto N Sho brackets, pay the small fine and then take it off again.

There are lots of people in Virginia that think they're a special snowflake and want to make sure everyone else knows it.

They cost $10 a year in addition to the regular plate cost.

I've never gotten one, I never will.
I have three Naval Aviator plates.

I earned the right to have one, and had to provide documentation to get them.

Not sure that makes me a “snowflake”, though.

Waiting for the inevitable comments about how having to have license plates at all shouldn't be necessary.

All cars in all states imo should be required to have front and rear license plates, without any covers or brackets. They should be 100% visible at all times. It's a safety issue. The fines in states that already require them aren't high enough and enforcement is too lax. People proudly proclaiming they're ignoring the law because they don't like it is ironic as heck.

Probably because it for some reason (according to them) should be illegal to have to provide proof of anything to the DMV. Same people that complain they have to get inspections and aren't allowed to drive their piece of junk with bits falling off of it from rust and brakes that don't work on the road because "it's a free country"

I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars for almost 30 years, the last 15 of that being in Utah, which requires a front plate. I have never been harassed by an officer about it, and I have been pulled over a couple times, with no front plate in place.

Having grown up in Utah, and all the Western states require front plates, I didn't even know that some states only require a rear plate, until traveling on business to KSC. Then, about 28 years ago I moved to SC, and they only gave me one plate. Kentucky was the same way. I quickly learned that, at least in the Southeast, only one plate is pretty common.

When I came home to Utah 15 years ago, I wasn't anxious to drill ugly holes in the front bumper of my cars, to mount a plate. So I haven't. I suspect, with more and more regulation, it won't be long before front plates are enforced. But until then, count me as one who thinks they distract from a nice looking car.

Those are special plates. Not personalized plates.

My comment was referring to personalized plates.

BTW, I'm shocked that "IMA GS15" hasn't been taken yet.

Same with my dad. Naval Aviator plates that are pesonalized. He's definatley a snow flake ;)

I really bemoan the trend in vehicles to have the front plate attachment point made by drilling holes right through the plastic bumper cover. When I was shopping for my Nissan 370Z back in 2009 I saw several on the lot that the moron who attached the bracket for the dealer plate either used sheet metal screws that were too long or pushed too hard when installing it and cause the screw tips to gouge the body of the car behind the plate. I told the salesman that I would refuse any car that has a plate attached.

The good news is that you can buy inexpensive plastic plugs to cover the holes if they have been drilled. And hopefully there was no damage to the body. There is a company named Sto-N-Sho that makes front plate brackets that are quick detachable and don't require drilling into the front bumper or as Raaizin did with his Porsches, use the tow hook mounting point.
Some cars come with holes already molded-into the plastic bumper; chamfered nice and neat. Trouble is, they're wider than the US-style plates, so most people drill new holes (and there might even be dimples there to show where to drill).

I was able to use rubber "well nuts" from Home Depot to mount a universal bracket from Autozone to the wider-spaced stock holes. No new holes necessary.... The plate mounts in its stock location and there's no new holes or damage to the plastic bumper.

No drilling necessary:

MUGz2R.jpg

I'm in Texas and its a 2 plate state. Given the current climate, you would be hard pressed to find any officer willing to make a traffic stop unless it is directly related to high risk/public safety. It's even worse if there are jurisdictions that have a no pursuit policy.

I just about won't stop any vehicle period. The city PD has a no pursuit order. So any other jurisdiction in their area that tries to stop a vehicle will likely have to engage in a pursuit because no one is stopping. It is just not worth it. In the past I used the no front plate as probable cause to stop a vehicle. Rarely wrote a ticket for it. I did one time for a guy in a Vette because he literally told me, "go ahead and write me a ticket, I will not put holes in my car." He asked for it, otherwise he would have just had a warning. Lesson: don't ask for it.

I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars for almost 30 years, the last 15 of that being in Utah, which requires a front plate. I have never been harassed by an officer about it, and I have been pulled over a couple times, with no front plate in place.

Having grown up in Utah, and all the Western states require front plates, I didn't even know that some states only require a rear plate, until traveling on business to KSC. Then, about 28 years ago I moved to SC, and they only gave me one plate. Kentucky was the same way. I quickly learned that, at least in the Southeast, only one plate is pretty common.

When I came home to Utah 15 years ago, I wasn't anxious to drill ugly holes in the front bumper of my cars, to mount a plate. So I haven't. I suspect, with more and more regulation, it won't be long before front plates are enforced. But until then, count me as one who thinks they distract from a nice looking car.
A lack of a front license plate is a secondary offense in Utah. For example-if you are stopped for speeding you can then be citied for a lack of a front license plate. For vehicles without a place for front plates-I agree with you (about drilling). However-there are a lot of trucks, SUV's, etc, that have that square plastic mounting area on the front that looks worse-IMHO without a license plate then with one.

Back