Front license plates

Required here in Washington State. However I'd say about 10% of the cars here don't bother putting the front plate on. I didn't really want to put one on my Miata....but I figured I didn't want to take the chance of being pulled over so I fell in line.
I rented a camaro in Las Vegas back in 2001. Was confused as all the other cars driving around had front plates, but my rental didn't. Turns out Nevada's law is basically that you have to have the plate unless it makes the car look ugly. Ok then!

Front plates have not existed in Pa. in my lifetime. Perhaps they did, say prior to WW II? About 5 or 6 years ago, our DOT abandoned the yearly renewal stickers that you placed on the rear plate. At the time they did that, they used every available media source to proclaim that every police patrol car in the US had a plate reader onboard. That turned out to be wildly incorrect at the time. Anecdotally, most of the trouble stories seemed to come from Pa. drivers in Md. I have 4 plated vehicles and I have no idea when the registration on any of them expires. Unless I dig out the registration card. Prior to that change, the due date for your yearly safety inspection was typically the same month that your registration expired. No longer.

We are still one of about 7 states that has a yearly vehicle safety inspection. Up until the mid 80's, it was every 6 months. Someone mentioned the prevalence of illegal level dark window tint forward of the B pillars. I see it all day every day. There is evidently zero chance of being cited for it or an expired anything by local law enforcement.

Last edited:
At the time they did that, they used every available media source to proclaim that every police patrol car in the US had a plate reader onboard.
LPR's are quite pricey. We've only got a few of them across our fleet. Probably less than 10 in the whole county between the 5 agencies that patrol here. Not counting Georgia State Patrol, they probably have more toy budget.

We do have Flock camera's though, although not county-wide by any stretch. No experience with that system though so I don't know what it is set to alert to. I highly doubt it alerts to much more than stolen or wanted vehicles or there'd be people running all over the county chasing expired registrations.

FWIW, I'm not big on cameras everywhere and big brother watching everything, but that's the society we live in these days. That and you can't deny they're handy tools. We've been having a rash of dirtbags coming down to our county from Anderson/Greenville SC and so far they've been able to nab 6 of them in 2 stolen cars down here most likely planning to steal some more cars, all spotted on Flock. I suspect LPR's will be largely replaced with that system.

That change in Ohio was the most ridiculous thing those worthless law makers ever decided. Makes law enforcement more difficult. Imagine how much money had to be spent by school districts to make necessary changes to the school bus cameras to catch people who didn't stop for school buses.
Pfffftt. I drive a school bus. We've turned in many on video for passing our buses. Not one ticket issued that I know of. Last Thursday a County Deputy didn't stop. As he went by I could see he was texting.

It's how Virginia can have such "low" real estate taxes.
Speaking of Virginia. What's the deal with everyone having a vanity plate up there? I notice that every time I drive through that there seems to be a much higher percentage of people rolling around with a personalized plate than in other places. Are they the same cost as a regular plate?

Speaking of Virginia. What's the deal with everyone having a vanity plate up there? I notice that every time I drive through that there seems to be a much higher percentage of people rolling around with a personalized plate than in other places. Are they the same cost as a regular plate?

There are lots of people in Virginia that think they're a special snowflake and want to make sure everyone else knows it.

They cost $10 a year in addition to the regular plate cost.

I've never gotten one, I never will.

There are lots of people in Virginia that think they're a special snowflake and want to make sure everyone else knows it.

Ahh. $35 to make one and $35 a year to keep it on top of the $20 you already pay as a 'tag fee' per year here. So $55/yr, a decent bit more than $10.

Depends. A normal daily driver? Don’t care.

Something special/unique/cool like a C8 Corvette, SRT/SRT Hellcat, or something else luxury or exotic? Hard no.

Hahahah. I'll make sure to tell my 84 year old dad he's a "special snowflake" next time I see him.

Cheap. We have them on several or our vehicles. Apparently we are "special snowflakes" now ahahahah

In Virginia, the biggest reason to get rid of front plates would be the people that use their front plate on the rear of an unregistered, uninsured vehicle.
Never thought of that. I wonder how common that is? I can't see this as a valid reason to get rid of f. plates/reduce ability to ID a vehicle.

Do you live in Virignia, or did you move, was what made me curious about what you stated. It's neither here nor there, but does have tax consequences.
I have a buddy who registered his vehicle in SD to avoid property tax and vehicle inspection...I ask him how he handles the insurance company questions about where his vehicle is garaged or what you will say when you are pulled over with a SD reg with a VA address on it. Not worth the drama/hassle to me.

Front plates have not existed in Pa. in my lifetime. Perhaps they did, say prior to WW II? About 5 or 6 years ago, our DOT abandoned the yearly renewal stickers that you placed on the rear plate. At the time they did that, they used every available media source to proclaim that every police patrol car in the US had a plate reader onboard. That turned out to be wildly incorrect at the time. Anecdotally, most of the trouble stories seemed to come from Pa. drivers in Md. I have 4 plated vehicles and I have no idea when the registration on any of them expires. Unless I dig out the registration card. Prior to that change, the due date for your yearly safety inspection was typically the same month that your registration expired. No longer.

We are still one of about 7 states that has a yearly vehicle safety inspection. Up until the mid 80's, it was every 6 months. Someone mentioned the prevalence of illegal level dark window tint forward of the B pillars. I see it all day every day. There is evidently zero chance of being cited for it or an expired anything by local law enforcement.
Looks like it's ~double that, 15 states requiring safety inspection.

I’m well aware of the law, and in full compliance with it, thanks.

Virginia does levy Personal Property Tax on vehicles. It’s quite steep. My Tundra, even at seven years old, is about $1,500/year in property tax.
Geez, that seems odd for something that old. What do they value it at? I have 5 vehicles and pay less than that total and I'd value my fleet around $70K. Do you not get the property tax relief on it for some reason? I remember when we got our Atlas, new, that was a whopper of just over a grand that year for PPT, it was worth about 40K.

My take here in VA has been why have any additional chance of interaction with LE...not worth it. There are other mounting options so you don't have to drill holes into the bumper (tow hook mounts etc.). I'm not sure but I *think* here in VA it's not a primary anymore for getting pulled over (good), only a secondary offense.

Always figured if the state had no front plates, easy to back in so the cops can't ID your car if they are looking for you.

New Jersey pretty much the same. I have made threads about this same question at various times and a lot of people like to say "They won't bother you"... ummm... drive through a Boro in New Jersey (where they just wait around and wait for things like this) - OR ANY TOWN, ANYWHERE, WITH STRICT OR NO NONSENSE POLICE/SHERIFFS/STATE POLICE ETC - and you'll have one on (if the law requires it like NJ does) pretty quickly. Summed it up pretty well, @TiGeo "They don't need a reason so why give them one."

And yeah. I am one of those that wants to live in a state where one plate is legal *Indiana or Ohio or Florida . Or North Carolina .... but then, you need to find a car that's not a transplant (has the front holes drilled.)

Please note that the law changed in Ohio where you can run one plate now.

My solution has been to get a really cool "Vanity plate" because if you have to have it on the front? Make it your own. Your very own Tax ID stamp. At least make it say what you want.. NJ they cost $50 now $100 I think.

13573899-1426104484897.jpg

Geez, that seems odd for something that old. What do they value it at? I have 5 vehicles and pay less than that total and I'd value my fleet around $70K. Do you not get the property tax relief on it for some reason? I remember when we got our Atlas, new, that was a whopper of just over a grand that year for PPT, it was worth about 40K.
I’m no longer active duty, so I don’t get tax relief on vehicles. It was nice when I did, but I was driving the 1990 4 Runner back then - saving $20 a year wasn’t a huge relief…

Yeah, they know the Tundra used market, and tax accordingly. I was wrong in the above post. It was $1,500 for all of them last year. The Tundra was $1,500 when new. $691 last year.

Still a decent bit of change for property tax above and beyond vehicle registration fees.

Interestingly, it’s about $36 for the V70R, which is registered in Virginia, but currently sitting in Colorado. Clearly, they don’t know the market on that particular model. If it was a lot more, I would register it in Colorado.

The SL600 was about $120. That, and the front plate, was incentive enough to change the registration.

On my 911 and Cayman I use the front tow hook to attach the plate. There are other products out there that dont damage the front bumper. I find it is easier to follow the rules life usually goes alot easier.
IMG_3742 (1).jpg

Never thought of that. I wonder how common that is? I can't see this as a valid reason to get rid of f. plates/reduce ability to ID a vehicle.

I've heard of it happening around here, and I expect it'll get a lot more common when "FARM USE" tags will have to come from the DMV.

Back