Front end alignments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a time when alignment service was a stand alone facility. Same thing with auto electrical service that did tune ups using oscilloscopes and dwell meters. I haven't had an alignment problem with a front wheel drive vehicle in almost forty years. Who remembers the shims that were used to align the old rear wheel drive vehicles that used short/long arm suspension arrangements? Seems like the alignment shops could get the proper alignment on the machine, but never with the vehicle going down the road. And how many remember vehicles coming back from being aligned with the steering wheel off-center?

Did some front end work on a 2005 Toyota Avalon - sway bar link, tie rod end, lower ball joint and wheel bearing. Took it to an alignment shop and they said alignment was perfect as is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rat407
Just wondering if anyone else is finding that needing an alignment is just about gone by the way of the dinosaurs?
Rat407 said:
Just wondering if anyone else is finding that needing an alignment is just about gone by the way of the dinosaurs?
No, but maybe the way of the rats (not referring to any person on this forum) or some other common animal that is current and annoying. My Honda pulled to the right from new. Rotated tires, not changed. Asked for alignment. Camber and caster not adjustable. All within limits but there was a procedure to shift sub frame to increase positive caster on side to which was pulling. Helped some but years later removed two of four subframe bolts and found holes were so close to bolt shaft size that could only move by 1/32" or so. Seems such a small adjustment. Solution seems to be buy cheap tires with some tire lead and mount in a way to counteract pulling to one side.

Rear alignment is another issue. Springs sag and out of spec negative camber occurs. No rear or front camber adjustment possible without aftermarket parts. As camber changes to more negative, toe changes. Toe adjustment frozen. Needs replacement lower control arm. So, yes, alignments more of a rat than a dinosaur.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Avoid pot holes and other road hazards...especially at high speeds. I shoot for at most one alignment on every set of new tires. Currently at 26K miles on the current set of tires/alignment after 3 years. Half way there.

I avoid what I can, but others can't be due to either darkness or the speed of the traffic. I see lots of unsafe behavior from people trying to avoid potholes.

With my old Focus, the front end wasn't the problem. But that car could burn a set of rears off quick. I had to load a bunch of weight in the back and get it aligned so the back wheels would be straight and it wouldn't burn off the rears.

Anything with independent suspension seems to need alignments more than something with live axles.

My Jeep (off road toy) needs alignments frequently. But it's a solid front axle so I can do that one myself in the driveway with a tape measure. Apparently rock crawling and jumping over trees causes alignment issues ...

Originally Posted By: Miller88

My Jeep (off road toy) needs alignments frequently. But it's a solid front axle so I can do that one myself in the driveway with a tape measure. Apparently rock crawling and jumping over trees causes alignment issues ...

I remember one time with my Liberty I was going on an off road trip and noticed on the way there that it had a slight pull, so made a mental note to get an alignment for it when I got home. After wheeling, it was dead right with no pulls. So I've learned that if it needs an alignment, just go off roading.
smile.gif

I've changed many tires on late model performance cars, like the Corvette C6, and many others, with low miles, and steel cords exposed on the inside tread row with over %50 tread left on the rest of the tire.

hmmm.. come up to michigan! you'll live at the alignment rack! Michigan is slowly getting better, no I'm not talking detroit, the rest of michigan! Detroit's issues are too many to fill in this box!

but.. it's true, if you don't hit anything, alignment usually doesn't go out. so it could be a long time before you needed an alignment.

And the steering wheel not straight? That is always an issue when I get alignments, they look at the steering wheel from outside the car, instead of behind the wheel. From the angle the tech sees it, it looks straight, but that's at an angle! I've had to go in there, and actually hold the steering wheel to teach them, lol.. and yes these are master techs!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Traction
I've changed many tires on late model performance cars, like the Corvette C6, and many others, with low miles, and steel cords exposed on the inside tread row with over %50 tread left on the rest of the tire.

I don't think that's an alignment issue. They have those cars set up to go 150mph so when they just drive them at 65, the insides always wears out. Very common complain on Mercedes and other cars too. Only way to cut down on that is to rotate the tires often, but on rear wheel drive on a staggered setup, you can't do that and a set wears out at 10-15k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back