Free Fram Orange Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently found a box of parts that was from a car my sister sold last year. In it was a fram oil filter that is the same that my car uses. Would you guys use this free filter or are they (fram) bad enough to not try and save a couple of bucks.

I'm using one now that was part of a oil change special at O'Reilly's. My trucks still running and there is a 99.9999% chance it will be runnin' when it's time for a oil change. I say use it and do a little "Livin' on the Edge"
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I would NOT use it, Sorry

+1 I have had a bad experience with a fram that caused engine damage. I've already spelled out the details, and won't do so again, so as not to start another thread war. Surfice it to say, that there was extensive damage, traced back to a faulty oil filter. For this reason I can't and won't recommend, or use a Fram Orange can of Death.

Justin

If it helps my OCI's are 3000 miles and I will be switching back to a blend or conventional oil because I change it so often. If your recommendation is to not use the Fram, while you are at it, what would you recommend. I usually use bosch, about $6. I dont really see the point in using the $10 plus filters when you change it so often. If there is a good filter for less money I would be interested, I just dont know much about them.

Thanks in advance (the car is the suzuki listed at the bottomn)

Originally Posted By: aaron98801
If there is a good filter for less money I would be interested, I just dont know much about them.

Thanks in advance (the car is the suzuki listed at the bottomn)

I would go to Wal-Mart and pick up the Supertech for $2.50 for 3K oil change. That's what i use for my in-law's cars since they put 1K miles every 3 months.

Also, is the benefit of a high quality filter mostly for extended OCI's.

I also see a lot of people recommending the super tech filters. Does anyone have any info on why these are good filters, or are they just good for the price.

For a dollar more than the ST filters at walmart I can get a Ford Motorcraft filter that is a little longer but has the exact same specs as the recommended filter, I cant think of any reason that that would not be a good deal.

Thanks for the input and sorry if it seems like I am rambling.

If the box is in good shape, not shopworn, you can return it to walmart without a receipt for store credit. Then spend the money on a supertech and a coke.

If the filter mounts threaded end up I would use it and totally not worry... a crummy ADBV wouldn't be much of an issue.

I just ran a Fram filter for 9117 miles in my Pathfinder, using Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30 oil. It only used about a third of a quart in this OCI, by the way.

I usually get my filters at Walmart or Autozone, and Fram is usually the easiest to find, so that's what I end up buying, most of the time. I only change my M1 once a year.

Anyway, after having read you guys talk about the "orange can of death" so much, I decided to cut this one open.

The can was made of surprisingly thick, hard to cut metal. The anti-drainback valve had kept the filter full of oil, even tho I had let it drain for a couple of weeks. The filter pleats were in good condition, no sludge present, and looked like they could have gone another 9000 miles. There was a rubber gasket that was in like new condition. The antidrainback valve was in absolutely clean condition. There was a fine mesh hemispherical screen over the antidrainback valve that was clean with no clogging. What some people call "cardboard" ends were like no cardboard I ever seen. They were very hard and stiff, even after one year and 9117 miles.

When I was in Walmart to get a filter for my oil change, there was a Castrol representative hanging in the oil isle. He looked up my vehicle in a book he had, and handed me the recommended Fram oil filter.

I have been ragging hard of Purolator. The bottom line is that the junkyards are not full of cars with engines worn out with either orange or white. Both use dome end bypass valves which SEEM to me to be a bad idea.

I cut open the last Fram I bought about 10 years ago. At that time, the endcaps didn't bother me, but having half as much media as Purolator, ST, and others and a third of AC did.

In the early days of this site, Bob did some tests that suggested oil filters do very little.

At least Frams are made in American by an American company.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I'd use it if I got it for free. It won't grenade your engine, just use it at a conservative interval.
+1 For a 3-4k OCI you should be fine.

I'd use it without a problem.

I just took one Orange Can off my 01 RAV4 after a year and about 8000 miles with Formula Shell Synthetic. I cut it open and it withstood the OCI pretty well. Replaced it with a BOSCH filter I had laying around and Formula Shell Synthetic for another year hopefully.

If you have outdoor equipment like a Yard tractor, maybe you can use it on that instead of the car if you are worried.

Take it back to store and get cash for it or auto parts store and say your wife got wrong brand and exchange it for a Pure One or Bosch

I'd save it for an emergency. Probly never need it but what if the wife called from the store and said the car was leaking oil. You get there and find that the filter on the engine somehow got a hole in it so you take it off and put the Fram on there untill you can go back to a better quality filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back