Fram XG7317 c&p 15,000 miles.

This ran for 2 changes on a 3.0 Accord. Looks good to me. Nothing between the pleates.

Attachments

• 20240107_141916.jpg
    20240107_141916.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 20240107_141903.jpg
    20240107_141903.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 20240107_141850.jpg
    20240107_141850.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 20240104_225636.jpg
    20240104_225636.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 125
That's more proof that these filters need to go back to wire backing.
It looks like it's on the verge of tearing any second.
Those wavy pleats aren't that bad, and they are far from tearing since there isn't really big pleat spacing going on. Seen lots of other filters with pleats that wavy.

Those wavy pleats aren't that bad, and they are far from tearing since there isn't really big pleat spacing going on. Seen lots of other filters with pleats that wavy.
But you have to admit that if it were wire backed, the pleats would be laser straight and unwavering.

But you have to admit that if it were wire backed, the pleats would be laser straight and unwavering.
But laser straight pleats don't make a filter perform any better, just look better after it's been used. I've seen some wavy pleats in many different brands and models of oil filters. As long as the pleat spacing is adequate to prevent excessive waviness/bending and any tearing, it's all just a visible thing.

But laser straight pleats don't make a filter perform any better, just look better after it's been used. I've seen some wavy pleats in many different brands and models of oil filters. As long as the pleat spacing is adequate to prevent excessive waviness/bending and any tearing, it's all just a visible thing.
But you have to admit that laser straight pleats give the appearance of a very healthy filter and less pause for the owner to worry.

But you have to admit that laser straight pleats give the appearance of a very healthy filter and less pause for the owner to worry.
Only those that go by looks and not functionality. The guts of oil filters aren't really what I'd enter in a "beauty contest". Miss "best looking filter media" might be a total dud in other categories. 😄

You need to data a cartridge filter so you can see what you're getting before committing. 😄

There were no tears.

Nice. What oil and filter went back in and on? Thank Yiu

The last two runs were old 10w30 Catrol Magnatec. Refilled with Castrol Edge 0w20 (winter time) and an a AC-Delco Gold filter.

AC Delco gold just looked like an e-core inside to me. Not sure if there is any difference.

Found my cartridge filter also gets wavy. Maybe I did not seat it well in the housing at initial change? Hasn't happened again since I triple checked when changing. One gripe, given the simplicity and fewer parts of cartridge filters, shouldn't they be considerably cheaper than the cannister type? Just thinking, or is it an economies of scale issue at the moment?

Relatively speaking, especially as compared to two recent XG anecdotes with only~ 1/3 of topic fci, this one looks good. Like it got job the done with no tears. The pleat wave found in current XG post use anecdotes, typical now. This one, less wave than a fair number and significantly less than the aforementioned XG anecdotes. At the topic fci, saying something.

Thanks for c&p. 3.0L engine, a good one in my experience.

Back