FRAM XG16 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HX520W
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Did you use old motor oil to oil the gasket when you first installed it???
I used fresh oil on the gasket before installation.

Why would it matter if it's fresh or used?

As far as I'm concerned that rust is not an issue, but the glue flake is, as it could go past the filter (in a bypass situation) and then block oil flow to some part of the engine, then kaboom
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
As far as I'm concerned that rust is not an issue, but the glue flake is, as it could go past the filter (in a bypass situation) and then block oil flow to some part of the engine, then kaboom
frown.gif

I did not think about a bypass situation, that would be bad for that to get by in that case.
I know the older Fram (At least the old Ultra's) used to have a mesh screen along with the bypass valve, and the Fram Racing has one still.

Very thorough dissection with excellent pics and descriptions. Interesting findings, in all ways. As comparison, I ran an XG3614 for ~14k miles over 22 months on a Tacoma with no remarkable rust on the base plate or similar epoxy/adhesive issue to my knowledge. Unlike the topic filter though on the 3614 the sealing gasket is on outer diameter of the filter. Had pics posted here, but thanks the photobucket attempted shake down they are gone.

Anyway, thanks for the c&p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back