FRAM XG Vs. Extended Guard NOS

Was the XG Ultra the same as the Extended Guard back in the day? They both seem to show wire mesh on the box.

XG3387A-4.jpeg
XG3387A-2.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve never been sure the “Xtended Guard“ had 2-ply media, even though it was wire backed synthetic. Pretty sure when they went to a 15K recommendation is when they started using the 2-ply pink synthetic media.

^^^ Yep, the box art looks like a single media layer with wire backing (not nylon/polymer, lol).

Did the Extended Guard go from 7K to 10K before going to 15K ?? I don't recall off-hand.

Those filters are really old, not even sure if its worthy of running them. They look like cool collector items, specially the ones with the round pringles like packaging and lid.

Those filters are really old, not even sure if its worthy of running them. They look like cool collector items, specially the ones with the round pringles like packaging and lid.
I'm actually starting to check eBay for new old stock from back in the day when oil filters were high quality.

For example, AFFINIA made WIXs.

Affinia.jpeg

^^^ Yep, the box art looks like a single media layer with wire backing (not nylon/polymer, lol).

Did the Extended Guard go from 7K to 10K before going to 15K ?? I don't recall off-hand.
Yes, they went to 10k with 2-ply synthetic media that was wire backed before going to 15k.

That 15K version was dual-layer wire backed media. Should be able to see the metal wire through the center tube holes.
I was wondering if there was some way to tell from the box when I'm spying eBay for them.

Filters don't go bad, as long as they're stored in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. I'm using 15 year old filters with no problem.🤷‍♂️

I think I got the box art figured out:

1. Old Fram Ultra (with wire backing)
2. New Fram Ultra (without wire backing)

Old Fram Ultra.jpeg

XG7317.jpeg

Last edited:
2. New Fram Ultra (without wire backing)
That's not the newest box, that one still says "Durable Metal Screen". Once the dust of the change settled to the non-backed media, the current box does not say that anymore.

That's not the newest box, that one still says "Durable Metal Screen". Once the dust of the change settled to the non-backed media, the current box does not say that anymore.
OK I changed it. How's that? :)

Last edited:
Back