Fram XG ADB failure

Not sure if this has been posted before. I pulled these pictures from a recent Reddit post.

54EA5E45-0BEA-4D54-848F-1E2CEAF4F0EE.jpg
37DCBABF-F728-45B0-98C8-E52E94BB1D86.jpg

Considering the mount goes thru the flange partially into the filter, at least we know it didn’t get “sucked” into the center tube. I’ve got this filter # on my truck; I’ll see if I can even grab the ADBV when I take it off and pull it thru the center. The metal “neck” on the element comes up to the bottom of the base plate, so not sure how this happened.

Not sure if this has been posted before. I pulled these pictures from a recent Reddit post.

View attachment 134653View attachment 134654
What's the date on the original Reddit post? Did the guy mention the date code, or was there other photos showing the date code?

This could happen if the guts of the filter were not tight. And that goes for any oil filter brand with an ADBV. This is a good reason to shake the filter really hard and listen for loose guts before installing it on an engine.

What's the date on the original Reddit post? Did the guy mention the date code, or was there other photos showing the date code?

This could happen if the guts of the filter were not tight. And that goes for any oil filter brand with an ADBV. This is a good reason to shake the filter really hard and listen for loose guts before installing it on an engine.
Collapsed leaf spring, high pressure bypass on the XG10575, it is possible, especially considering the added weight of an (OG?) Ultra filter element. Considering the last OG Ultra I changed recently on the xB has rust bubbles all over it, with under a year of use, I’m just going to run “lesser” filters & change them more often.

This was posted yesterday. Those were the only two pictures posted. Came off a 3.6l Chevy

That would have blocked the flow of oil and the engine would have failed. Looks suspicious and I have doubts..

Reactions: hrv
Had I not seen similar before with the previously mentioned Mazda anecdote posted this subforum, I'd be more skeptical too. I was very skeptical in that instance at the start, followed it to its conclusion. Satisfied there it was on the up and up. As mentioned, in that case adbv ended up in the engine and Fram paid for the engine repairs.

There was another (linked) where adbv displaced but not sticking out of outlet opening. And those anecdotes, smaller filters, and afaik nothing special about bypass psi.

The 10575 is supposed to have a 22psi bypass valve. Not unusual but higher than 12-15 psi of other filters.
As pointed out by others, something else inside the filter failed. Like maybe the leaf spring.
I'd like to know how many miles that filter ran for.

I call BS…….the ADB valve looks to be still circular and intact. The filters mounting flange on the vehicle makes it impossible to happen while it’s screwed on in place. This looks like it was done deliberately.

Reactions: hrv
The filters mounting flange on the vehicle makes it impossible to happen while it’s screwed on in place.
I thought that too initially. But if the ADBV was forced onto the mounting spud large inlet hole, and then the filter was unscrewed from the spud, it would look how the photo shows.

The 10575 is supposed to have a 22psi bypass valve. Not unusual but higher than 12-15 psi of other filters.
As pointed out by others, something else inside the filter failed. Like maybe the leaf spring.
I'd like to know how many miles that filter ran for.
Yes, the guts definately need to be pretty loose for the delta-p across the filter to dislodge the ADBV. If that engine was revved high with real cold thick oil and caused 22+ PSI of delta-p, that would certainly have a factor in disclosing the ADBV if the guts were not real tight.

Back