Fram vs Wix

New here……..been lurking for years and finally decided to join. Anyways wanted some thoughts on switching from fram ultra xg 10575 to a wix 10225xp??? This is on a 18 Silverado 5.3 L with 70k miles.

The modern Fram Ultra is no longer wire backed but it still has great efficiency. The Wix XP is still wire backed last time I checked but the efficiency is a rock catcher.

What are you looking for in your filter? How long a service interval? How important is filtering efficiency? Etc.

The modern Fram Ultra is no longer wire backed but it still has great efficiency. The Wix XP is still wire backed last time I checked but the efficiency is a rock catcher.

What are you looking for in your filter? How long a service interval? How important is filtering efficiency? Etc.
I want something of higher quality…..service at 7k usually now but if needed to go back to 5k I would be ok with that. 80% of miles are highway miles with no tow and medium cargo (up to 2500lbs in travel weight throughout pickup). Please let me know if you have any other questions…….like I said I’m just curious. Money also isn’t an issue unless I’m like just lighting $100 bills on fire for no reason!

I want something of higher quality…..service at 7k usually now but if needed to go back to 5k I would be ok with that. 80% of miles are highway miles with no tow and medium cargo (up to 2500lbs in travel weight throughout pickup). Please let me know if you have any other questions…….like I said I’m just curious. Money also isn’t an issue unless I’m like just lighting $100 bills on fire for no reason!
You might look into the Fram FE10575 if you want something comparable as far as durability to the Wix XP.

I’m not going to contact him…..it was an opinion question……anyways why did you bring up the fram FE series?
I brought up the Fram FE series because you mentioned comparing the Fram XG to the Wix XP in your opening post. I just thought you might like to know that the Fram FE series is more similar in construction to the Wix XP than the Fram XG series is. The Fram XG is no longer wire backed.

I brought up the Fram FE series because you mentioned comparing the Fram XG to the Wix XP in your opening post. I just thought you might like to know that the Fram FE series is more similar in construction to the Wix XP than the Fram XG series is. The Fram XG is no longer wire backed.
Good to know. Thank you. Any other filters you think I compare?

Per postings here - the wix XP is 99% at 35 microns - aka a rock catcher aka its terrible. Unless somehow that rating is inaccurate, so if so someone please correct me. Its one of the few filters I would likely never use. Even the Orange Can is superior at filtering things to it.

Pretty much any filter these days will go 5 to 7K OCI. So thats not a worry.

The Fram Ultra has been showing up here with a lot of wavy pleats but none have failed yet AFAIK. The Fram TG is more or less the same with fiber end caps. I have a drawer full of Fram's but when there gone I will be using something else, I don't like how construction continually is getting cheaper and the wavy pleats are a bit concerning.

The new darling here is the Fram Endurance - good filter rating, wire backed, $12.99 at Wal Mart. Its the same filter Amsoil now sells for much more. If your willing to spend that money its hard to go wrong.

A few people have been using the Pentius XL with good success so far. I will try it next myself. 99% at 20um, excellent construction, cheap at amazon.

Zee06 is worth contacting IMO. I have run Fram Ultra's in my 15 F150 for 7-8k runs for many years now. The older version of the Ultra as well as the newest iteration on the market now. I was leery after the "changes" but so far I'm not seeing anything that would have me looking elsewhere.

For me, cutting each filter and visible inspection provides validation for the decision made. If I observed wavy pleats or any other negative issues I would move to a different filter immediately. Hasn't happened with my 5.0 in the F150 (75k) of the 3.6 in my Subaru (150k).

As a long time user of Wix filters, there is no longer one they offer that I would spend the money on. Since Mann/Hummel took them over I have had 3 filters that leaked after installing.

Other posters brought up the Fram FE likely because it has the same construction internally as the older wire-backed version of the Fram Ultra. The new Fram ultras don't have the wire backing. The Fram FE is a bit over priced ($13) and since it is a WalMart only item, and my local WalMart absolutely sucks at keeping things stocked, the Fram Tough Guard has been my go-to filter lately. The ones I've cut open always look good, they have 99% efficiency at 20 microns, and I can usually find them for around $7. I think they are a good value for 5-10k mile OCIs.

A few people have been using the Pentius XL with good success so far. I will try it next myself. 99% at 20um, excellent construction, cheap at amazon.
There are more questions than answers with Pentius. There is one post that refutes the claim of 99% at 20 micron by their own customer service...so...?

There are more questions than answers with Pentius. There is one post that refutes the claim of 99% at 20 micron by their own customer service...so...?
Not defending Pentius, I just threw it out as an option. My box says 20um@99%, but your always beholden to the OEM's spec if you don't want to pay for testing, and they can and do change the construction without notice. Still, if I had to believe something I would believe the printed material. As someone that has worked in a highly technical industry for 25 years, I don't believe any spec customer service sites without a spec sheet saying the same thing - including my own customer service people. This is in the industrial industry where you are held to your spec. Even there the spec is always manipulated - for some particular model in some particular set of conditions.

This site constantly refers to the Champ XL as 20um, but there is absolutely no documentation of that anywhere other than someone got an email from Champ at sometime. The same build Supertech labeled champ sites 30um. Who is correct - no one really knows?

You would think you could trust Fram, but they now are owned by the same company that owns Champ, and no one has actually paid to test any of the Fram's in the last few years that I am aware.

Ya, kinda sucks I agree.

New here……..been lurking for years and finally decided to join. Anyways wanted some thoughts on switching from fram ultra xg 10575 to a wix 10225xp??? This is on a 18 Silverado 5.3 L with 70k miles.

Let's get this in perspective ...

Modern PFI engine, max of 7k miles OCI, and we're having a conversation about wire backing? As if the media is going to collapse without wire backing after such a nominal OCI duration? Guys, even the standard EG or normal Wix/NG would EASILY cover those criteria. Both the EG and the Wix nominally have 95% at 20um; that's certainly good enough to sustain the planned OCI.

We're talking about a modern, PFI engine with only 70k miles on it. And a planned max OCI of 7k miles.

OP - is there any indication that the current filter choice (the Ulta) is somehow insufficient for your use??? What makes you want to consider the XP (which is self-reported with a low efficiency rating)??? Given what you state, and knowing that the 5.3L engine isn't a known sludger, then just about any decent filter will do a fine job. Even the Fram EG would suffice nicely. Or a standard Wix. Or one of many other brands. It's not like the application or OCI duration are going to test the filters to the edge of their existence here ...

If you've been lurking for years, then you should already know the answer to your own question.

Back