Fram Ultra worth it over OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Brian553
Fram Ultra is at least just as worth it.
I have heard of a lot of Fram's failing, but it must be old news, because I haven't seen such significant evidence in at least the past 3 years.

The most recent one I'm seeing is the beginning of last month.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Talking about a cartridge filter for a VW...

OCI is 7-8k, Ultra is $13, OEM Mann is $8.

Worth springing for the Fram?

The OE is always the safe bet...but I would consider a Mahle cartridge filter as well. I've also used Baldwin and Beck cartridges.. they're both solidly made cartridges. Ecogard has a 10k mile full synthetic media that's pretty well regarded and it's priced competitively.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
Considering how many failed Frams we have seen here I would say: avoid at all costs.

I haven't seen any credible evidence.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Here's one:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5182896/1

Older filter. That's not built like the current or recent XG. Also, I don't count sizing error as a filter failure, but rather an error that caused or contributed to it. Even so, I doubt the current XG design would fail in that scenario. The bond to the end cap is super strong, (My experience is with the XG1165 and whatever part # fits my Mercedes.)

If you're not running your oil filters long enough to take advantage of the Fram Ultra extended service life, run a standard filter: OEM/Mann, Wix, Bosch, Napa... whatever. There's no point buying a long-life filter and using it for a short interval.

I miss the old days when Fram CH9911 were repackaged, Made in Germany filters, even with fiber end-caps during the time when BITOG's stance was metal end caps, anything else is garbage

Originally Posted by LotI
No. Mann is much better in a cartridge app.

Can I ask why you feel this way? Is it the same for spin-on filters?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by 02vito

Thanks.

I have used both, IMO the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter is the best spin on can filter and Mann arguably makes the best cartridge filters. Based on what I have read on the internets many people are of the opinion that Fram cartridge filters are not close to being the best and Mann spin on can filters leave much to be desired compared to say a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back