Fram Ultra I May Not Be Using Them Anymore! Oh Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
WooHoo

Page 11
banana2.gif

Look ... "burrs"! This is on a Bosch. Like I said earlier, you can find many filters with center tube holes that don't have super clean edges ... it's the nature of punching holes in sheet metal.

The "burrs" are not going to come off of this filter, or the one posted by COD, or any other filter with holes that have been punched out.

full-73542-689-excess_potting_torn_4.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Look ... "burrs"! This is on a Bosch. Like I said earlier, you can find many filters with center tube holes that don't have super clean edges ... it's the nature of punching holes in sheet metal.

The "burrs" are not going to come off of this filter, or the one posted by COD, or any other filter with holes that have been punched out.

That picture looks familiar!

Wait, am I going to get blamed for burrs now?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Burs or "burrs" are in the pics shown here. Dictionary: Bur- "a thin ridge or area of roughness produced in cutting or shaping metal"
Yes the bur particles can and will come off. The over bought efficiency numbers won't show it.

Those were punched, nothing is going to come off.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Sure enough there are burrs on the center tube in that Bosch. But 2 wrongs don't make a right. The fram posted is still just as defective as it would be had the Bosch not been burrful too.
Ok have a burrful day.

There are tons of oil filters out there with not so perfectly clean punched out center tube holes. You can find many photos in this forum of center tube holes with a little bit of a lip around the hole from the punching process.

It's really not a problem, but it seems some people think this is some kind of "problem" that's going to blow up their engine -
lol.gif

eyerollXXL.gif

Im going to go to Walmart tomorrow, look though the Ultra's for one with the "burrs" shown in the picture at the beginning, tear it down and record me breaking them off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
If it was winter time, I'd make a "burr its cold" joke
banana2.gif

Somone give that banana a sedative.

Just in case anyone is interested, here is a picture of the Fram Ultra XG2 that went on my jeep. Not an expert at taking pictures sorry for the quality. I have 3 more of these sitting on a shelf (bought at discount) if anyone would like more pictures of them. I looked at them and they all looked ok. If anyone has tips for better pictures let me know.

MGVUlKB.jpg

And for any kind of comparison, here is a shot of the Mobil 1 M-210 that went on my dodge

fY18Na8.jpg

Originally Posted By: corndogzombie
Is that a Purolator or mc I see next to the fu. Hows it look?

Good eye, that was an MC FL-820s. It looked good, but I found it really hard to get pictures of the inner tube on that one and the FRPP version.

I'd use that FU, or the M1, no problem. Wondering if the FL820 you bought uses holes or louvers. Strictly for informational purposes though, either would work just fine for me.

Also wondering if this thread will have a burfect ending.
56.gif
Couldn't resist.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I'd use that FU, or the M1, no problem. Wondering if the FL820 you bought uses holes or louvers. Strictly for informational purposes though, either would work just fine for me.

Also wondering if this thread will have a burfect ending.
56.gif
Couldn't resist.

Pretty sure the 820s had holes, I still have it in the garage I could try to take better pictures. One thing I noticed in the OPs pictures is that in the holes you see the wire mesh backing on the ultras. So its not excess metal. The edges look a little sharper than mine but being sharp in there shouldn't case a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back